Mazdaspeed CAI Installed!

Rawyzf

Contributor
:
2011 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD
Just finished installing the Mazdaspeed CAI.

The install was really easy besides getting the stock airbox resonator out of the wheel well section since I didn't take the tire off. It just took some wiggleing and it finally come out.

The butt dyno is very pleased.

The sound is great, I can finally hear the turbo now. I missed that sound from the Mazdaspeed Protege.

Here are a few pics.

I took a video with my digi cam, but can't really hear the CAI very well. If you want a copy of it though, just PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. Or if someone wants to host it, just let me know and I'll send it to you and you can post a link to it somewhere.

-Ryan

Attachments

• Mazdaspeed6 031.jpg
    Mazdaspeed6 031.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 640
  • Mazdaspeed6 032.jpg
    Mazdaspeed6 032.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 493
  • Mazdaspeed6 033.jpg
    Mazdaspeed6 033.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 429
  • Mazdaspeed6 034.jpg
    Mazdaspeed6 034.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 525
Looks good man! Where did you pick up the Mazdaspeed CAI and for how much??

Looks nice!!!!

Have the CEL gone on at all?
Also did you add some kind of cover like the hydro shield or ??? to prevent water from going inside?

Last edited:
ChicagoKid said:
Looks nice!!!!

Have the CEL gone on at all?
Also did you add some kind of cover like the hydro shield or ??? to prevent water from going inside?

Thanks, no CEL as of yet. I have driven about 100 miles. I didn't get the hydro shield yet, but I am thinking about it.

I just ordered one too. I changed my mind on the AEM. Went with this one b/c I don't want crap from the dealer about warranty issues and $260.00 on the group buy. :)

ChicagoKid said:
I just ordered one too. I changed my mind on the AEM. Went with this one b/c I don't want crap from the dealer about warranty issues and $260.00 on the group buy. :)

Cool, exactly my thoughts.

Ryan-

Does yours sound like a high pitch sucking sound? When I gun it I can really hear it. I'm just checking to make sure what it should sound like. It seem like the steel tube has something to do with that too???

The "High pitch sucking sound" that you hear the the turbo spooling up. The sucking sound is the intake of the air and the high pitch sound that usually starts around 2000 - 2500rpm is the turbo. This is completley normal. Mine sounds the same way. You should also be able to hear the Blow Off Valve when you let off the throttle after accelerating hard.

brianseto said:
Anyone have any warranty issues if they have the mazdaspeed CAI?
yeah my concern as well - im looking to get an MS6 ans I loved the way my MSP sounded on my Injen - would like the same thing if I could

brianseto said:
Anyone have any warranty issues if they have the mazdaspeed CAI?

The Mazdaspeed CAI is supposed to be covered under warranty level green:

MAZDASPEED "Green" Performance Accessories must be specifically approved by Mazda for their particular application. These parts are warranted for the first 12-months/12,000 miles from the date of purchase, excluding labor.

Rawyzf said:
Just finished installing the Mazdaspeed CAI.

The install was really easy besides getting the stock airbox resonator out of the wheel well section since I didn't take the tire off. It just took some wiggleing and it finally come out.

The butt dyno is very pleased.

The sound is great, I can finally hear the turbo now. I missed that sound from the Mazdaspeed Protege.

Here are a few pics.

I took a video with my digi cam, but can't really hear the CAI very well. If you want a copy of it though, just PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. Or if someone wants to host it, just let me know and I'll send it to you and you can post a link to it somewhere.

-Ryan
Hey man, it says you have the hks BOV and in the picture i see the stock one... Did you install the BOV yet? Do you have it in recirc? Would you buy it again or should i not get it??

AWDRACER6 said:
Hey man, it says you have the hks BOV and in the picture i see the stock one... Did you install the BOV yet? Do you have it in recirc? Would you buy it again or should i not get it??

Hey,

Yeah, I have the HKS BoV in recirc. I like it a lot.

-Ryan

Rawyzf said:
Hey,

Yeah, I have the HKS BoV in recirc. I like it a lot.

-Ryan
Is it still pretty loud or does the mazda CAI hide the sound? I heard the intakes are pretty loud and in recirc you cant here BOVs??

AWDRACER6 said:
Is it still pretty loud or does the mazda CAI hide the sound? I heard the intakes are pretty loud and in recirc you cant here BOVs??

Actually, I have the HKS on now with the stock airbox minus the resonator. It still has some sound in recirc....but it's not loud at all. I am putting an Injen CAI in this weekend with the HKS to see if that makes it any louder.

And yes, the CAI is pretty loud, but I would think you'd hear the BoV pretty good with one. The stock BPV was pretty noisy when I had the Mazdaspeed CAI on.

Back