loud clicking sound at startup

tomkit

Anyone hear a loud click sound in the morning when you start your CX-7 up cold and switch it to drive from park? I notice this when the engine seems to be warming up at around 2,000RPM. I usually have to wait a few minutes for it to warm up and drop itself to 1,000RPM before I switch from park to drive to avoid the loud click when I do so.

There is a Service Bulletin that addresses this issue (Bulletin No 03-00406) that applies to CX-7s produced before June 20, 2006. It involves replacing the propeller shaft with a modified one that has a noise damper. Looks like a 1 hour procedure.

I haven't noticed the sound, but I'll look for the bulletin. Do you have a link to the site. Thanks

FYI, you should let that thing warm up a little bit anyways before you just slap that stark cold engine and tranny into gear.

This reminds me of old co-workers who would get out of work (full 8-10 hour day) and jump in their cars/trucks, and literally race eachother down the street full throttle, redline shifting. (no more than 10 seconds after the vehicle was started after sitting for 8-10 hours) They would turn the key to "start" and already have the right foot on the floor.

These guys had no concept for cold metal, oil circulation, metal expansion, etc.. I could almoast hear the pistons and valves screaming for mercy.

Last edited:
i found the link

G-Papi said:
I haven't noticed the sound, but I'll look for the bulletin. Do you have a link to the site. Thanks

It is weird due to i do also encounter the same problem with my cx7 sport. In my case i can hear the noise when i switch from parking to reverse gear. In the service bulletin it specifies only those (awd cx7's) with a lower vin#JM3ER29L970117176. There are other several bulletin links related to a front cranks shaft bolt / door panel and other possible issues.

(upbum) (upbum)
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/cx7/bulletins_index.html

Last edited:
varek said:
It is weird due to i do also encounter the same problem with my cx7 sport. In my case i can hear the noise when i switch from parking to reverse gear. In the service bulletin it specifies only those (awd cx7's) with a lower vin#JM3ER29L970117176. There are other several bulletin links related to a front cranks shaft bolt / door panel and other possible issues.

(upbum) (upbum)
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/cx7/bulletins_index.html

thanks for the link also!
I thought my door panel looked a little funky on the top side! have to go to the dealer with a copy of this bulliten for backup.

Heard the clicking sound today for the first time. Oh well, in we go.

G-Papi said:
Heard the clicking sound today for the first time. Oh well, in we go.

did you take your cx7 to the dealer, what did they say about the clicking noise, did they fix it?(flame)

There is a modified replacement shaft that the dealer had to order. Applies to CX-7's made prior to June 20th. There is a VIN number reference.

I think I've heard this once or twice as well and kind of wrote it off as the tranny just being strange. The thing that worries me is the TSB regarding re-timing the engine if the crank shaft pully is removed (see the link above). Hopefully this does not need to be touched for the clunking TSB.

Well, if it does have to come off soon, it will be a dealer's problem.

True, but I can't see a crankshaft pulley coming off to replace this shaft. But then, I've heard of stranger things.

so i went into the mazda dealer and they are going to be doing the two service bulletins that i showed to them. one is the driver/passenger side panel that has wrinkles. i am not expecting any problems with replacing this. but the dealer also said that they will be fixing the clunking noise. does anyone think this will require complicated work and that the dealer might possibly screw up my car in the process of fixing the noise problem? i noticed on the bulletin it says that they will be adding a dampener, however, the dealer said that they will be replacing the entire shaft (or something) and that it wasn't cheap. he told me that ordering the part will cost them $2000 (but obviously free for me). do you think it is worth replacing/fixing?

G-Papi said:
Isn't this a warranty matter?

it's covered under warranty, but i don't know if the dealer is component enough to fix it. i don't want to fix this minor problem if they're going to screw up my car

As I understand it, the damper is a part of the modified replacement shaft. Evidently, CX's made after June 20th have them as standard equipment. If it isn't fixed now, then your car will be substandard.

Well, my part is in Calif. (WTF). Will be in on 9/1.

Back