AT Shift Knob Upgrade ?

:
'06 5, '04 WRB WRX
I asked this on Club MPV but has anyone upgraded their AT shift knob ? And if so, brand and pics please ?
Thanks

2cam16 said:
I asked this on Club MPV but has anyone upgraded their AT shift knob ? And if so, brand and pics please ?
Thanks

I did not like the rubber knob that came on my 5 Plat Touring Auto, so I upgraded to one from a Stock RX-8 Auto, which is black leather one.

There is a slight color variation from the steering wheel to the shift knob, but I like the leather so much more than the rubber. It just felt wrong to have a nice fat leather wheel, and then a puny little rubber joystick for the shifter.

I stayed with the Mazda ones cause I wanted a factory look, I am el-cheapo, and no mods needed, just spun right on.

If I had to do it over again i would have rather sourced one from a Mazda3, as I think the color is closer.

Regardless I think anything would be an improvement over the stock rubber knob. Especially if you have the Touring model with the leather wheel.

Keep Zooming! (ughdance)

there is a stock mazda5 leather shift knob that you can get also... you can get it in the US but none of the mazda5s came with them though.... the canadian ones did

My bet is you change the tranny and get a manual shift the new knob comes with it..... manual is the way to gooooooooooooooooooo(ughdance)

not all the time zoom....can't drink your coffee and the fact that I have to down shift on hills is a turn off for manual for me now.
the little extra speed you get from the manual is not worth the inconvince to me

Kojack said:
not all the time zoom....can't drink your coffee and the fact that I have to down shift on hills is a turn off for manual for me now.
the little extra speed you get from the manual is not worth the inconvince to me
LAZY! Besides, heaven forbid the actual act of driving would interupt consumption of your morning brew :p

jandree22 said:
LAZY! Besides, heaven forbid the actual act of driving would interupt consumption of your morning brew :p
The auto also leaves your right hand free to do "other things" (wink)

Seriously, I went from a 5MT to a 4AT. It's fine for my purposes. I wouldn't really consider the 5 a driver's car as much as it is a "people-mover" - and the 5 (with AT) does a fine job of moving people.

MP5Alive said:
The auto also leaves your right hand free to do "other things" (wink)

Seriously, I went from a 5MT to a 4AT. It's fine for my purposes. I wouldn't really consider the 5 a driver's car as much as it is a "people-mover" - and the 5 (with AT) does a fine job of moving people.
Well, your custom user title says it all, I guess ;)

Sorry sorry... i'm just poking. I drive an auto til I get my 5 anyways.

Also sorry about this huge ass pic, but to get back on topic, I enjoy this AT shift knob, is this what you folks to the north get standard?
m5_16.jpg

yep.....thats it and yes I like my brew or water all the time when you spend 8-12 hrs a day in your car....

jandree22 said:

Not to mention talk on my cell phone, smoke a cigarette, and eat french fries. I had a stick for 10 years and my 5 is an auto now. I still have a 5 speed but that is a 550 HP blown 5.0. I'm too scared to eat, drink or smoke while I'm driving that.

ntron1 said:
I still have a 5 speed but that is a 550 HP blown 5.0. I'm too scared to eat, drink or smoke while I'm driving that.
Cobra? pfff... why don't you get a REAL car!

car9.jpg

.....sorry, too funny (lol2)

my passat looks nothing like that....is that a bug eating saber tooth tiger on that? ha ha

The Mazda AT knob uses a M8 x P1.25 thread.

Guess what, folks - it's the same as Toyota/Lexus/Scion. I put my Mazda5 knob on my Sienna, fit just fine. Time to bid on some auctions...

Edit: what other manufacturers share this AT shifter thread? I know that Honda/Acura doesn't.

Heh, ClubMPV.com = NSFW! no shift knobs there (eek2)

Last edited:
starlightmica said:
The Mazda AT knob uses a M8 x P1.25 thread.

Guess what, folks - it's the same as Toyota/Lexus/Scion. I put my Mazda5 knob on my Sienna, fit just fine. Time to bid on some auctions...

Edit: what other manufacturers share this AT shifter thread? I know that Honda/Acura doesn't.

Heh, ClubMPV.com = NSFW! no shift knobs there (eek2)

hehe, you mean MPVCLUB.com, their group buy forum does have a shift knob-
http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewforum.php?f=23

So you're saying if I find a Lexus or Scion AT shift knob, it will fit my 5? Sweet.

Last edited:
Kid Red said:
So you're saying if I find a Lexus or Scion AT shift knob, it will fit my 5? Sweet.
Wow, I should've answered my own question a month after I posted this thread ! Oooppsss!
I ended up finding a brand new B&M leather shift knob from a Scion owner and yes, it fits perfectly .

2cam16 said:
Wow, I should've answered my own question a month after I posted this thread ! Oooppsss!
I ended up finding a brand new B&M leather shift knob from a Scion owner and yes, it fits perfectly .
Got a picture?

Nice! Hope it feels as good as it looks.

I believe this is the B&M 80743, threaded adapters included, $24.49 at Amazon.com with free shipping (if you buy something else for total $25).

starlightmica said:
Nice! Hope it feels as good as it looks.

Thanks. It's a nice fit although I find it a bit slim.
The wife drives it more so I can't really give a good review.

Back