XENON head lights

Thom_y

Well, I am almost finished my first road trip along the coast of Maine (from Bar Harbor to NH) with our new CX-7. It performed admirally, as did the Yakima roof rack with 4 bike mounts. The car drove beautifully, especially on some of those snake-like roads in the country. Yet, it I found the xenon headlights a bit of an issue, especially driving in the country roads, without streetlamps. Sure, they're super bright, but the line where the lightbeam ends can be distracting as you are driving on rolling and twisty roads. At some times, the line gives the impression of a shadow on the road as you go up and down hills or around turns. Does anyone else notice this problem. As well, I tried adjusting the level and it still seems distracting having this distinct line where the light stops.

Last edited:
Not only do the HID's have the distinct cut-off line, the projector type headlights (what we have in our 7) do the same thing. Look closely and you'll see the driver's side headlight "beam" is about an inch lower than the passanger's side. I thought something was wrong with my RX-8 when I first saw this with its HID's and I found from the dealer they are designed this way as to not blind an oncoming driver.

I read this thread before getting my car, which has the HIDs. I love them. They don't distract me at all. I can see more clearly and with a wider field of view (great on Michigan highways populated by more deer than cars). To each their own, of course, but I have learned I will never have another car without these fantastic lights!

Platonium said:
I read this thread before getting my car, which has the HIDs. I love them. They don't distract me at all. I can see more clearly and with a wider field of view (great on Michigan highways populated by more deer than cars). To each their own, of course, but I have learned I will never have another car without these fantastic lights!

I agree, but they do take some gettin used to. once you've driven for a while you hardly notice. (first)

Back