Launch - How to

G-Papi

:
'07 Mazda6s Grand Touring Automatic 5D Tropical Island Blue
In a CX-7, with AWD - what's your preferred technique?

I am by no means an expert, but most turbo cars launch at higher RPM's to spool up the turbo. I would foot brake and launch at whatever RPM the brake can hold and launch without wheelspin. It will take trial and error. Also I don't know how much abuse the transmission will take, keep that in mind. Next question is how to heat up the tires on an AWD vehicle? All I can think of is to floor it and let them spin then let off before they hookup. I haven't tried it yet but I don't think a stock AWD CX-7 will spin too much when floored from idle.

If you take it to the track let us know how it does.

Wont spin at all.

Also, regarding "powerbreaking" the car to launch hard,
keep in mind that heat is what kills an auto tranny.

When you powerbreak an auto car with any decent amount of power, heat builds in the tranny at about 20 degrees per second.

This is my first AWD auto. I was kinda scared to heat the tranny with the old Mazda6 FWD. I guess the fear is justified. I'll get to speed when I get to speed.

lllateralus said:
Wont spin at all.

Also, regarding "powerbreaking" the car to launch hard,
keep in mind that heat is what kills an auto tranny.

When you powerbreak an auto car with any decent amount of power, heat builds in the tranny at about 20 degrees per second.

i totaly agree! HEAT KILLS!!
ITS GREAT THAT MAZDA FOR PUT IN A TRANNY COOLER FOR US ALREADY(first)

Last edited:
Old Drag racer here...

Left foot on the brakes, right on the gas.

Bring RPMS up to 3,000+ to get Turbo in boost.

Floor and release brakes simultaneously....

Leaves like it has slicks on it (AWD).(first)

Yes, when torque converter is slipping it will generate heat....

Don't do this for minutes, just takes a few seconds to launch...

If you do this frequently, just change your tranny fluid and filter more frequently... But this will wear your clutches and disks faster than if you drive it normally. (glare)

Final version of my SST GTO had a Trans Brake. Push button, release brakes, bring RPM up to 4,000 rpm. Floor throttle, and wheelie away. But trannies lasted about 1/2 a season before we took them apart....

My brother is still at it with his Roadster.... 8 sec in 1/4 mile 1927 Pontiac! with a Pontiac V8... No nitrous, turbos or blowers... 1 carb.

Attachments

• Ron Wise Roadster 1.jpg
    Ron Wise Roadster 1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Alpha Wolf said:
Bring RPMS up to 3,000+ to get Turbo in boost.

personally think the rpm is too high, with max tq @ ~2500 rpm. launch @ max tq is my educated guess... never raced an auto tranny, ever.

i see you drive a fazer! launching a bike, now THAT's a challenge.

Back