Remote Start

joevac10

Did anyone get the remote start option? If so, can you tell us a littel about it. Is it all on one key fob?

We got it but they must have set it up wrong so I don't actually have it working yet. (pissed)

It is a sperate key fob so its kind of defeats the convenience of the smart key option. From what I know of the option so far the car will start and shut itself down after 15 minutes if you do not get in and start it. Also if you step on the brakes at all the car stops, presumably and anti-theft measure?

- JC -

I agree. It is so inconvient. I would never use it, since I like the idea of the proximity key.
But using it with the keyless entry, you have to remove the key-fob thing, and use your real key before it will let you drive it.

This is my first posting.
I like my remote start. Once you open the door and get in, you need to first turn the ignition cover thing two turns, then you can put your foot on the brake and start driving. If you step on the brake before turning the ignition cover, the car turns off. Anyway, I just love my CX-7!

Did you guys get the technology package or just the remote start option? I don't plan on getting the tech package, just the remote start option.

joevac10 said:
Did you guys get the technology package or just the remote start option? I don't plan on getting the tech package, just the remote start option.

I got the tech package. I pretty much got every option except the trailer hitch!

Interesting.

The dealer told me that in order to use the remote start with the proximity locking, that I would have to use the physical key to drive the car.

Looks like that was not true...

Did anyone get the remote start that did not get the technology package? If so, can you take a pic of the key fob?

joevac10 said:
Did anyone get the remote start that did not get the technology package? If so, can you take a pic of the key fob?

I had the remote start installed and did not get the technology package. Love it! It has been ridiculously hot here, well, everywhere I suppose and being able to have the car all nice and cool before I get into it has been a pleasure. Everyone wants to go lunch with me now to avoid the bake. Winter ought to be swell too.

I attached a picture of the remote start fob alongside the key. Two clicks starts the car, two clicks opens the doors. You have to insert the key and turn the ignition to on before you touch the brake or the car turns off.

Aozame

Attachments

• IMAGE_00007.jpg
    IMAGE_00007.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 918
CX-7 Bratt said:
This is my first posting.
I like my remote start. Once you open the door and get in, you need to first turn the ignition cover thing two turns, then you can put your foot on the brake and start driving. If you step on the brake before turning the ignition cover, the car turns off. Anyway, I just love my CX-7!

plus1.gif
Yeap
icon18.gif
What he said.

If you don't get in the vehicle it will shut down automatically after 10 minutes.
Trust me it will come handy for my wife in the winter time.
rock.gif

And yes I also have the technology package.
CX-718.jpg

Last edited:
va_cache said:
Interesting.

The dealer told me that in order to use the remote start with the proximity locking, that I would have to use the physical key to drive the car.

Looks like that was not true...

I got the tech package and waited a week for the remote start to be ordered. When it was finally time to have it installed I cancelled the job because the remote start would not be integrated with the keyless start, I would have had to carry a separate clicker along with the original remote, I specifically did not want this because it totaly defeated the purpose of the keyless start.

I called Mazda but got no info from them as to why they didnt offer a remote start that was made for the tech package. the guy I spoke to didnt even know what the tech package key looked like ( I had to describe it to him)...

I told the dealer to hold off on the install for now because I wanted to wait and see if Mazda is going to put out a correctly integrated remote start for the CX-7/ technology package. Im hoping its just too early still for the 07' models

I am very dissapointed to see that a $300 remote start can render part of a $4000 technology option useless by simple Oversight!

Well... before you respond with RTF'nM... ;)
I am at work and not near the manual at the moment, but am curious about the remote start. My GT w/ Tech package came with everything (including tow-hitch, two sets of floormats, cargo crap, no extra charge) and has the remote-start FOB.

I tried using it for the first time this morning since it's just started getting chilly here in New England in the a.m.

I am on the 2nd-floor, the window I tried it from was righ above the car... I could see right into the car through the moon-roof.

I hit the button on the remote-start FOB and the little, red LED lit, but the car did nothing. I tried it again. Nothing. Tried once more, but held the button longer and it started honking 5-6 times and stopped.

Am I just not getting it...? It's one-button... how hard could/should it be...?

I *will* read the manual tonight, but curious to find-out before then. Is it *because* of the keyless crap that's installed...?

<--- confused.

- Scott

EDIT: Oh yeah... I should mention that I WATCHED the sales-guy test ALL the FOBs before I took delivery. He started the vehicle with both of the supplied starters... so it *must* work... probably user-error, but what the heck am I doing wrong?

P.P.S. - Is it possible that the vehicle gives no visual indication of being started... and that it actually *did* start without me knowing... Again, I saw no lights come-on in the dash or the outside of the vehicle, and it is dark here now at 5:45am.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Sure enough... "User error"

I had to drop-by the dealer anyways (to get touch-up paint... YES, I've already got debris pits from asphalt that shot-up at the nose of my car on the highway) so while I was there, I had the salesman show me how to use the dang thing.

I guess it's just:
- Press "Lock" on your Key-FOB
- Press the start button on the remote starter FOB TWICE quickly.

"Bingo!" - That's all it took.
Works like a charm. You just start it and when you're ready, you go out and enter the car just as normal with the proximity chip and turn the ignition dial forward two-clicks before stepping on the brakes.

CONCERNS: Unlike my previous vehicle, the CX7 does not start into a disabled mode. If you start your car, all functionality resumes; radio, windshield wipers, etc...

Why is this a concern...?
- (Less important) If I leave my stereo on loud, it will start-up and play at *that* volume. Unfortunately, my car is parked outside my downstairs neighbor's bedroom window. The remote-start system in my last vehicle JUST started the car and climate control, no other accessories. I had time to turn it down before putting my key in.
- (More important) God forbid you leave your windshield wipers on when you park your car and you happen to get a lot of snow or ice-over conditions. Your car will start, and "attempt" to work the wipers and could potentially damage or burn-out the wiper motors from stress.

Again... it's not the end-of-the-world... but it would be nice to have that peace of mind that you can start your car under any condition and not have to go through a mental checklist each time you park your car.

- Scott

hey guys im new to the forum and just wanted to offer my help regarding accecories and other questions on 2005 and newer mazda vehicles. i work at mazda port in port huaneme california as an accesories installer. if anybody has any questions id be more that happy to help.

Tech, Remote Start, and Auto lock

Hi Scott,

You shouldn't have to press any buttons on your Advanced Key to use the remote start. You should just be able to use the remote start fob.

Press the button twice and bingo! your CX-7 should start. Mine also set off the alarm, but the dealer found that it was a faulty remost start module.

I do have a question for any out there though. I have the Tech Pack with Sirius and Remote Start. I've asked my dealer to set the Auto Lock feature twice, but on each occasion so far they think it's enabled but it still doesn't work.

Thanks,
The Git.

CX7_Scott said:
CONCERNS: Unlike my previous vehicle, the CX7 does not start into a disabled mode. If you start your car, all functionality resumes; radio, windshield wipers, etc...

you could always just remember to turn the accessories off before you kill the engine. ;)

Back