My First Oil Change

Oh joy. Least it more then makes up for all that effort in driving enjoyment.

I THOUGHT YOU HAD THE MAZDA FIVE YEAR GOLD WARRANTY PROGRAM THAT INCLUDES OIL CHANGES UP TO 50,000 MILES WITH THE DEALER?
I CURRENTLY HAVE THE GOLD SERVICE PROGRAM AND IT INCLUDES SERVICE CHECK-UP AND REPLACEMENTS PARTS THAT ARE IN NEED OF CHANGE AFTER CERTAIN MILES OF USAGE.(drive2)

InFlames said:
*note to self, never change oil on CX-7*

Ditto

Nothing worse than getting under a car, and then finding out that you've got to go and get something.

Definitely not a Jiffy Lube job either!

I usually don't let anyone do my changes for me either. I just don't trust them to do it right.

it's not only recommended by you, but required by mazda at the dealerships... there is a TSB released specfically stating you must use a cap type oil filter wrench to R&R the oil filter cover

02589 said:
I strongly suggest that everyone have one of those oil filter covers on standby as a spare part, whether they change their own oil or not. Obviously, no mechanic will tell you that he broke the thing, but I can envision them coming up to you and saying, "you're gonna need a new oil filter cover, this one has a crack in it." (or stripped threads, or a leak, or is broken) And even a Mazda dealer might not have one in stock when you need it.
is there an aftermarket filter you can buy, like K&N? or is it a special filter only from the dealership

chasmanz28 said:
Is there an aftermarket filter you can buy?

Ready for my oil change, First change today by Mazda at no charge 3,200 mi.
Next change by me @ 6,000 with switch to synthetic. Purolator lists the standard L15505 as well PureONE PL15505 which come with new cover o-ring and o-ring for the drain plug. As noted earlier you should have a cap wrench for the plastic canister cap. There seems to be a bit of confusion if the size is a 74 or 76mm. I will try the 74mm size this weekend to make sure I bought the right one.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 366
Man, oil changes on the CX-7 SUCK!!!! I dont think ill be doing it again.
Thanks to the thread starter for the info though.

G-Papi said:
Ditto

Nothing worse than getting under a car, and then finding out that you've got to go and get something.

Definitely not a Jiffy Lube job either!

Jiffy Lube, OMFG, you are right, only crazy people trust those bastards. I do my own oil changes and my own maintenance in all my cars. That way I know for sure it was done right.

When its time, I will replace the oil with Mobile One Syntetic Oil and K&N Oil Filter.

02589 said:
I like to do my own oil changes so that I know it's done right and so I can inspect the rest of the car. I feel I can do a better inspection than a dealer in most cases.

I changed my oil after the break in period. I doubt if the dealer will do that for you. While I try to change the oil on regular schedule, I often change it after periods of extreme driving conditions. The dealer won't do that for free.

I also decided to use Mobil 1. I can get a 5 qt bucket at WallyWorld for $21. Even if the dealer got Mobil 1 for you, they'd charge you an arm and leg for each qt.

This is definately not a Jiffy Lube job. But if your dealer will do it on terms that you are satisfied with, that's cool.

Amen for that Brother, I also buy my Mobil 1 @ WallyWorld.

(first) By the way, awersome write up, great info, thanks a lot. Now I know what to expect when is time for me to do it.

At what mileage did you just change yours???

02589 said:
I did it at 600, which the end of the engine break in period. From there, I'll go on a 6 month schedule. I'll do it again just before the weather gets cold and in early spring before the weather turns hot. Those are also the times I do major inspections on the cars too. Take out the spare and inspect it, take out the jack, test it and lube it, pull off each tire and check brakes and suspension, lube doors hoods and hatches, go over everything under the hood, light checks, lube seats, and go over just about everything. It takes all day and I always finish it with a very good wash detail job and a diet Michelob.

(shocked) WOW, that's what I am talking about!(omg)
That's a good car deserves to be taken care off.

02589 said:
I did it at 600, which the end of the engine break in period. From there, I'll go on a 6 month schedule. I'll do it again just before the weather gets cold and in early spring before the weather turns hot. Those are also the times I do major inspections on the cars too. Take out the spare and inspect it, take out the jack, test it and lube it, pull off each tire and check brakes and suspension, lube doors hoods and hatches, go over everything under the hood, light checks, lube seats, and go over just about everything. It takes all day and I always finish it with a very good wash detail job and a diet Michelob.

This is the kind of guy you would want to buy a used car from. (wow)

Back