IC heat soak

1Sleepy93

:
07 Mazda CX-7 Sport (Liquid Platinum)
Anyone else manage to heat soak the IC and cause detonation yet? Its happened twice thus far. Once after getting home letting it sit for 5mins and taking off again and once while in town after several stop lights and finally opening her up.

I think he's referring to the intercooler

Usually detonation is a gas octane related problem.

Go to the post in this forum about regular or premium gas and start reading around post #15.

Usually the ECU switches over so fast you won't hear the spark knock, but will feel the decrease in power.

Last edited:
RETRY:

Go to the post in this forum about regular or premium gas and start reading around post #15.

Usually the ECU switches over so fast you won't hear the spark knock, but will feel the decrease in power.

98b/w pro said:
You shouldnt own a turbocharged car. sorry no offense.

Not everyone is a car nut. Maybe you should be a little more tolerant of those with less knowledge than yourself.

Yeah - we can fight over baseball and politics, but try to be a little supportive when it comes to stuff that matters.

G-Papi said:

I wouldn't say usually an octane problem since there are many factors that can contribute to the problem even if you have the correct octane. Intake charge temp, timing, octane, engine load, etc.

98b/w pro, your being a little harsh on the guy don't you think? That is why man invented the knock sensor, so people who aren't motor heads don't have to know everything to drive something with one of the most satisfying motors to be had. Turbo = (first) although, a nice V-8 is also a beautiful thing.

Yes by IC I was refering to the intercooler. In other posts, you might encounter TMIC <-- top mount intercooler (what we have on the CX), FMIC <-- front mount intercooler, and SMIC <-- side mount intercooler.

Last edited:
98b/w pro said:
I thought the knock sensor was made so you could have an open exhaust.

No a knock sensor detects detonation or spark knock/preignition as some would say.

Also for those that wonder what detonation sounds like, it's something of a mechanical popcorn sound or as others put it marbles bouncing around your motor. But unlike the popcorn that you love at home and the movie theater, you must hate this popcorn...er detonation. :p Why, because detonation = blown motors if not kept in check.

Damn! I'm so old school. I remember what it was like when I couldn't find leaded gas for the '62 Ford Galaxy 500. Now that was KNOCK!!!!

I really didn't take offense to 98b/w pro - I discounted the opinion to which he or she is entitled to.

I don't know when a 777 jet engine is not performing perfectly, or a simple air conditioner in my home and I don't need to. I don't NEED to know ANYTHING about a turbocharger, or even anything in the engine compartment. That's what professionals are for.

Having said that, more knowledge is better. I joined this forum to learn from those of you with more knowledge and viewpoints. I thank those who posted some good advise, tips and their experiences with their CX-7.

Michael
Los Angeles, CA

Last edited:
1Sleepy93 said:
with one of the most satisfying motors to be had. Turbo = (first) although, a nice V-8 is also a beautiful thing.

I prefer both, I have a 93 Mustang with a turbo charged 427.(burnout)

criticism of others

98b/w pro said:
You shouldnt own a turbocharged car. sorry no offense.
Hay 98 knowledge is relative how would you respond to something you have knot learnt yet? there must have been a time you did know how a turbo worked ?

Ok Peace Please!!!! I Hate When People Start Fighting Over Stupid Things So Be Cool And Let It Go!!!

Good info.

I had never owned a rotary before and I learned all about it on forums like these before I made my purchase....I had no clue and thanks to great folks who like to share their knowledge and input. There's never a dumb question!! Why must people think that everyone has to know everything mechanical about their cars? I sure don't! Keep the questions coming and don't be afraid to ask anything!!

Back