A/c shut off

Wytchdctr

:
2003 Hyundai Elantra
I was getting onto the highway the other day in my wife's car and had to give it some gas to keep from being run over. Once up on the highway I noticed the a/c was not blowing cold for a few secs then it came back. I punched it again to see if it did it again. Once again it blew warm for a sec or two then came back. I dont hear a belt going nuts so I am assuming its shutting off the compressor at WOT to make more power. If not maybe I should have that looked at.. hmmm

Are you serious? That's actually a really awesome feature! AC compressor power sapping is only usually noticable when you're gunning it anyways.

I was 99.9% sure thats what was up. Just kinda cool that mazda thought about its "performance" minded customers enough to put a kill switch on the a/c when you go WOT. (ughdance)

I had an old Dodge company car that did that too. The a/c would shut off when climbing hills. Kinda of a cool feature since the car only had about 100 hp max and a three speed automatic. But the bummer part was I worked in southwestern PA and northern WV, so the a/c only ran when I was coming down the hills/mountains...

yup, it definitely doesn't this on purpose. I've noticed it several times, most recently yesterday while making a fast merge on the highway, if you floor it the AC shuts off for a few moments.

Ya know...I don't think it happens if you gradually get up to max speed. The feature is more to save the compressor rather than give the driver a power boost. Sudden increases in pulley speed like going to WOT (which induces downshifts) from 40mph can wear the pulley out and decrease the life of the bearings.

Monsta, yes, even my old 95 saturn would cut out the AC if the RPM's went over a certain point. But this car does it pro-activley when you floor it, long before the engine gets much RPM up at all.

X10James said:
Monsta, yes, even my old 95 saturn would cut out the AC if the RPM's went over a certain point.
No kiddin'. Guess it was to save that poor ole Chevy compressor.

It's certainly a good feature considering they jipped us of about 30HP. :)

lol, and that was only a little less than a third of what it would put out on a good day... Didn't bother me much in Chicago where I bought the thing, didn't use it for more than a few weeks in the summer, but down here in Georgia it got a little slow to have it on all the time.... The effect on the mazda is much less, or just made up for by the computer upping everything a notch when it's on. I wish it would raise the idle speed a bit when it's on, doesn't cool worth a darn at idle until you get going a little bit.

Back