Ship with 350 CX-7's aboard Capsized

:
17 CX-9 GT FWD
Hope knowone is waiting for one of these

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...p-5256224c.html

Nearly 1,400 new Mazdas scheduled to arrive at the Port of Tacoma this weekend might end up at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean instead.
The transport carrying them began to take on water over the weekend and the Coast Guard urged its crew members to abandon ship Monday.

The Cougar Ace was carrying a total of about 4,800 cars from Japan to Canada when it began to list Sunday night in the stormy waters off the western Aleutian Islands.

Its sitting on its side, basically, Petty Officer Stephen Harrison said.

Some of the Mazdas were due in Tacoma this Sunday, said Mike Wasem, spokesman for the Port of Tacoma. The port, which expects to import as many as 160,000 vehicles this year, expected to receive 1,376 vehicles from the ship, he said.

Its just an unfortunate thing, Wasem said. Youve just got to hope all the crew is safe and sound.

Most of the vehicles imported by the port are shipped by train to parts of the Upper Midwest and the East Coast, he said. In addition to Mazda, the port imports vehicles from Isuzu, Kia, Mitsubishi and Suzuki.

Of the 1,400 Mazdas on board approx 350 were CX-7's(shocked)

Attachments

• Mazda Ship.jpg
    Mazda Ship.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,867
Probably some MS3's too!

Men and Women of the Mazda Community, you know what must be done:

Activate your Mazdas Seaborn assault mode!

WE'RE GUNNA SAVE THOSE MAZDAS!

_39662663_gal_bond.jpg

boat%20car.jpg

P-BOAT-CAR-UPSIDE.jpg

ferrari.jpg

The latest word is that the ship is stable and not sinking. There is still a chance they might be able to save some of the vehicles on board as long as they are still secure and not flying around inside.

Mostly Vanouver CN cars...

I heard on Edmunds forum that most of the cars were for Vancouver Canada and surrounding areas.....hopefully not many for US. Someone was frantic about their CX7 being on that ship and it wasn't luckily. Boy, now the cars will really be in demand and some will be waiting quite awhile for them....bummer!!!

cruzdreamer said:
I heard on Edmunds forum that most of the cars were for Vancouver Canada and surrounding areas.....hopefully not many for US. Someone was frantic about their CX7 being on that ship and it wasn't luckily. Boy, now the cars will really be in demand and some will be waiting quite awhile for them....bummer!!!

Actually that is incorrect. The ship was to dock at Vancouver, but the cars weren't for there. There is only 25 cars on the ship for western Canada. Another 1400 for eastern Canada and the rest for the western States.

I work on ships for a living, and I seriously doubt if there will be many cars undamaged if the ship makes it to port. The lashings used are not meant for that kind of stress and probably won't hold. I am very surprised that the ship hasn't gone to the bottom already, they must have designed some very good stability into it.

That's quite a lot of CX-7s...Especially for such a new model! Anyone on the forums suspect their new CX-7 might end up at the bottom of the ocean!?!

OK - so what was the ultimate ending?

so what are the chances of diving down there bring one back up on the ground, let it dry and starting the engine?

this really sucks ... alot of people are gona have to wait for their cars

Salt water and electrics love each other. The engines would probably run mechanically - it's the computers, wiring, windows, nav systems, power seats, . . . Ooooh the humanity !!!

Did it sink?

The ship is still afloat. They are trying to drag it to shore. No one has boarded yet to check on the cars though.

All the cars on the port side are probably water damaged. All the rest are probably body damaged by shifting.

G-Papi said:
All the cars on the port side are probably water damaged. All the rest are probably body damaged by shifting.

Ooh.. I'll happily take a MS3 with some body damage at the "Salvage" rate. ;)

Mazda3 said:
The ship is still afloat. They are trying to drag it to shore. No one has boarded yet to check on the cars though.

Thanks for the update...Keep 'em coming (thumb)...Thread stickied!

Cougar Ace salvage operation turns deadly

-AutoBlog

In what can only be described as a tragic turn of events, a naval architect on the salvage team working to stabilize the Mazda-laden cargo ship, Cougar Ace, was killed after he lost his footing and fell on Monday.

Seattle area resident Marty Johnson, age 40, had completed a survey of the vessel with his team and was preparing to disembark when he slipped and fell approximately 80 feet. He was knocked unconscious and attempts to resuscitate him on board were unsuccessful. He was taken by helicopter to the US Coast Guard Cutter Morgenthau, where he was pronounced dead.

This horrific episode illustrates just how dangerous the Cougar Ace salvage operation is. Our condolences go out to Mr. Johnson's family.

The ship must be spooked. That's terrible!

wow!!!

And one would think it was a simple task for that person. The insurance company of that ship must be loaded with paper work(omg) .

Latest update from another related thread:

NVP5White said:
The latest incident report indicated that all decks had damaged cars, that a large amount of transmission fluid and other fluids had leaked from the cars, and that all cars would need to be re-secured.

That does not sound like good news to me. I know break fluid can mess-up paint and I think trans fluid can, too. Without knowing exactly what parts of what cars were effected by misc engine fluids, I don't think Mazda could sell these cars as new.

Back