VTA and changing boost

jcgemt2003

:
06 speed6
Here is a good question. Ok if the car is running a little rich VTA and your at 15psi, couldnt you turn up the boost 2-3psi to equal out the fuel air mix and increase performance?

Running VTA doesn't change your AFR throughout the powerband. It just spikes the car rich (richer...) when releasing boost pressure. This rich spike during shifts or deceleration MIGHT cause the ECU to try to make adjustments and temporarily lean out. Without tuning I wouldn't run my car VTA. Then again, I probably wouldn't run my car VTA even with tuning. But to each their own.

jjohnson1024 said:
Running VTA doesn't change your AFR throughout the powerband. It just spikes the car rich (richer...) when releasing boost pressure. This rich spike during shifts or deceleration MIGHT cause the ECU to try to make adjustments and temporarily lean out. Without tuning I wouldn't run my car VTA. Then again, I probably wouldn't run my car VTA even with tuning. But to each their own.
Thanks for the response....Im not runnin VTA...nor would I, I was just curious if that was at all posible. Do you know if these cars have internal wastegates?

Running VTA is possible from a "yes it will run" point of view, and some people are claiming they are running VTA with a minimal amount of backfiring after reseting the ECU. Someone on another forum did some dyno pulls in VTA and recirc with an HKS BOV and it didn't look pretty for VTA fans. However, I think its still up in the air as to how bad the ill effects of VTA are on this engine with stock tuning.

EDIT: I just realized I misunderstood your last post. The above was written thinking you were wondering if running VTA was possible. Not sure how I interpreted it that way. Me bad.

The wastegate is internal. There is a great picture of the turbo, wastegate, and actuator here: http://images.rotarynews.com/images/la_autoshow_2005/mazdanews/pages/mazdaspeed6_12.htm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back