powder coated rims

geezerz99

:
2006 MAZDA5 Sport
Has anyone/or know of anyone that had their rims powder coated? i'm thinking something like dark bronze on a black 5.. I mean i asked around and it wouldn't cost more than $250 to get it done versus buying a set of 17's for at least $600 .... and at the same time you're keeping the oe look.. coz we all know some rims just don't look right on certain cars (wrong size, wrong offset, or it just doesn't go with the lines of the car).... at least if i stick with the oe rims i definitely know it will look right.

There are a lot of powder coating guys out there and they don't necessarily do wheels all the time - make sure you find out what their proceedure is. The cheap guy may be doing a poor prep job. I think if you do your wheels, you'll want the guy that does a good prep and finish. JMO

i had mine done for 400, mine had a little more prep time due to the polished lip but i think it was well worth it!! pwdr will defiently hold up longer then paint!!

rob

I had mine done. Only thing I paid for though was the media blaster at $100.:) Worked out good for me, I got em done here at my work for nothing..........

Probably could have got a better job done somewhere if I paid for it but, it was free so I gave it a shot. Didn't turn out too bad....

Attachments

• Copy of DSC03353.JPG
    Copy of DSC03353.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 220
i'm headed down to the shop tomorrow that does em and i will actually watch em do a set... strip, sandblast, bake, what else do i need to watch for??? they want 55 a wheel... which isn't bad if they do a great job. they say they do a lot of wheels but we'll see...

i don't know if i'm gonna get this done... it will take a week for the job. so my 5 will be up on blocks for a whole week... i don't know if the wife will like that and plus what am i gonna drive around???

plan B... just get some freaking new rims...

may i ask... will the stock tires fit on a 17x7.5?

yes, it's not that much of a stretch. I saw someone mentioned 225/40/r18s for their 5, if you go the 17x7.5 with the correct offset you can put 225/45/17s on them since it's the same height as 205/50s that come stock. Make sure you get the correct offset though.

Back