Oil Change - what will you use?

codecraig

:
2007 Mazda CX-7 Sport : Copper Red Mica : Sand Cloth : FWD
According to mazda recommendations, I should change it at 7,500...but I am used to 3,000 miles (or 5,000 with mobil 1 synthetic).

Any thoughts on using a synthetic motor oil (Mobil 1, AMS Oil, Roayl Purple)? How about the interval?

I am debating whether or not to let the dealer do the oil change. On the one side the dealer will do oil changes for free. On the other, they wont be using a better-than-standard oil and they will only do it every 7500 miles.

what do u think?

side note: funny how the owners manual says "To get the best service from a battery...Keep terminals and connections clean, tight, and coated with petroleum jelly or terminal grease." ...wonder why Mazda doesn't put jelly or grease on the terminals from the factory!

codecraig said:
Any thoughts on using a synthetic motor oil (Mobil 1, AMS Oil, Roayl Purple)? How about the interval?QUOTE]

My dealer is giving us a 1st free change @ 3,000. I would never go to 7,500
on dino oil with a turbo. We will be changing over to synthetic after our first
change. IMO synthetic will give much better protection against oil cooking
in the turbo after shutdown. Will most likely go to 5,000 interval when changing to synthetic.

In the old Mazda6 I did the 5,000 mile routine using only Mazda brand oil, and warranty service changes. No problems, and traded the car at 52k miles.

Though there is a 7500 service routine available for the CX-7, I'll stick with the 5,000 routine since there's that turbo onboard. I'll stay with the Mazda brand (though they probably just relable somebody else's synthetic.

I am researching purchasing
either a CX-7 or an Acura RDX.
Both run turbo4s.My question is according
to Acura Mobil 1 oil must be used,
is this the same in the CX-7?

Service manual does not specify a brand, only the viscosity, and an Oil Institute rating. I wouldn't use anything but synthetic on a turbo, though. Like I said, I use the Mazda labeled stuff.

My dearler gave me the song-and-dance about if someone else (non-Mazda authorized repair facility) works on the car, it will violate the warrantee.

They sited a case where someone took their car to a quick oil change place, where they didn't tighten the plug, all the oil seeped out, and toasted the engine. Mazda said - "not our problem".

That's not true (what your dealer told you), but I still let Mazda do the work anyways. Especially with a new model, I don't want some nuckle-dragging Goober to go exploring.

G-Papi said:
That's not true (what your dealer told you), but I still let Mazda do the work anyways. Especially with a new model, I don't want some nuckle-dragging Goober to go exploring.

yea besides, they have Dealership For Life...so free oil changes.

In the manual it written to use sae 5w-30. I bought 2 gallons of 10w-30 of mobil 1. Could it damage the engine ?

I know it hard to explain on a thread, but does someone know where the oil filter is located ?

I'm going to do my oil change way before mazda recommendations since I heard that the first oil change has to be done as soon as possible after the first 1000. It seems there could be little pieces of metal that comes from the engine when it new.

capk69 said:
My dearler gave me the song-and-dance about if someone else (non-Mazda authorized repair facility) works on the car, it will violate the warrantee.

They sited a case where someone took their car to a quick oil change place, where they didn't tighten the plug, all the oil seeped out, and toasted the engine. Mazda said - "not our problem".

Thats true, I work for Mazda and we had a similar case come across our paths.

That particular instance was a matter of liability for specific deficiency in performance (one would expect the average service tech to properly replace the plug). I understand why Mazda wouldn't assume liability for the actions of another.

It's been settled in court that the broader provisions of the warranty aren't voided. Having an oil change by another provider certainly would have no impact on other unrelated items (like a failed transmission, for example).

G-Papi said:
That particular instance was a matter of liability for specific deficiency in performance (one would expect the average service tech to properly replace the plug). I understand why Mazda wouldn't assume liability for the actions of another.

It's been settled in court that the broader provisions of the warranty aren't voided. Having an oil change by another provider certainly would have no impact on other unrelated items (like a failed transmission, for example).
EGGSZACHERY

1st oil change

Blitzd said:
EGGSZACHERY

I'm at 3100 miles now, going to valvoline for the 1st oil change. They have treated me well in the past. I took my Jeep Wrangler there for 6 years without a problem, and my Toyota Supra before that.

The Mazda dealer did offer a 'free' oil change at 3000 miles, but it's always a hassle time-wise when it comes to taking it to a dealer, I'll stick to Valvoline.

Mobile 1 is the best off the shelf oil on the market. Hands now.

1st oil changed done!

Blitzd said:
Mobile 1 is the best off the shelf oil on the market. Hands now.

Well the boys at Valvoline were stumped when I pulled up. They were trying to figure out what it was, needless to say the info. on the car was not in their database so I pulled out the manual to show them the engine took 6 US quarts of oil, I went with the durablend oil.

They also had to check to see if they had the oil filter, which they did. I guess you have to remove a skidplate to get to the oil plug on the bottom.

It was a bit scary watching all of them trying to figure out what was what but I think I'm OK.

At least they didn't give you that "insurance" bs and let you see how they went about things. I've seen too many investigative reports from Jiffy Lube and their ilk to trust them blind.

If the guys were finding things intelligently, that's one thing. A nuckle-dragging grease monkey who knows everything is a catastrophy waiting to happen.

I'm glad you were satisfied.

(PS - Hoping I don't change my sig again soon)

hahahaha. i worked for jiffy lube for 4 years during my college days.

All I can say is that I would never take my car there. why? well, amongst the employees that worked there, the internal motto was

If it was done right, something's wrong!

Back