How many revs?

irloyal

:
Explorer, 'Vette, Mazda5, Quest
This car is my first 4 cylinder in almost 15 years. How many revs are most of you pulling at 70 MPH? I'm pulling 3200 in a 5 speed, and it seems kinda high to me.

the same here... i had a integra gsr and it was doing 3500 on 70mph.. well redline was 8000... whatcha expect..

irloyal said:
This car is my first 4 cylinder in almost 15 years. How many revs are most of you pulling at 70 MPH? I'm pulling 3200 in a 5 speed, and it seems kinda high to me.
High? Yes. Normal? Yes. But isn't the engine oh so buttery smooth and quiet :)

Welcome to the world of Japanese engines!!! You'll get used to it, My Suzuki sidekick and Honda Civic were the same. They're not really happy unless they're really reving! If you're previous cars were Domestics (or European) then it'll take getting used to. My last car was a Dodge Stratus, in that car I would do 120km at 2750 rpm My 5 turns nearly 750 rpm faster to get to the same speed.

irloyal said:

Same here! Recent highway trip I was doing about 80mph and I think it was just under 4000. 3800 maybe - on the flat stretches.

Thanks all! My vette pulls 1800 @ 70, The Explorer pulls around 2300 and I don't know what the wife's Quest pulls, I don't really drive it that much. I'm just not used to the 3200. FWIW - I got 24 MPG on the last tank and I'm hoping for about a 10-15% improvement by the time the ticker gets to 4000 miles.

was98strat said:
Welcome to the world of Japanese engines!!!
I don't think it really matters what country makes an engine like this and then gears the way they do. It'll still turn high RPMs. :)

Last edited:
was98strat said:
Welcome to the world of Japanese engines!!! You'll get used to it, My Suzuki sidekick and Honda Civic were the same. They're not really happy unless they're really reving! If you're previous cars were Domestics (or European) then it'll take getting used to. My last car was a Dodge Stratus, in that car I would do 120km at 2750 rpm My 5 turns nearly 750 rpm faster to get to the same speed.

It has more to do w/gearing. My '98 GTI VR6 was the same way, pretty high when doing hwy speeds. Most Japanese cars do that due to small displacement and low gearing(higher numerically). It should be ok thought especially if you're pulling 24 mpg still.

Ninty1GTiVR6 said:
It has more to do w/gearing. My '98 GTI VR6 was the same way, pretty high when doing hwy speeds. Most Japanese cars do that due to small displacement and low gearing(higher numerically). It should be ok thought especially if you're pulling 24 mpg still.

It's not just the gearing. Japanese Engines tend to develop their power at higher rpms, hence the tranny's that are geared to allow for this. But you get faster engine response as a nice benefit. My old Dodge Stratus (2.4l) really peaked at 3700 rpm. The Mazda seems to develop powr right up to 5500 rpm or so! ( don't ask I was having a bad day!)

Ninty1GTiVR6 said:

Yeah, but just think if they had a six speed that let you cruise the 5 @ 2800-3000 RPM @ 75. I would think the mileage would go up up up....

irloyal said:
Thanks all! My vette pulls 1800 @ 70, The Explorer pulls around 2300 and I don't know what the wife's Quest pulls, I don't really drive it that much. I'm just not used to the 3200. FWIW - I got 24 MPG on the last tank and I'm hoping for about a 10-15% improvement by the time the ticker gets to 4000 miles.

My Kenne Bell supercharged GT pulled 2000 rpm at 76 mph with 3.27 gears.

I'm used to the 5 running at about 3750 at 70 mph because I have owned 2 Civics and an Accord, all of which were 4 cyl cars.

Matt

Well I think if you get acceptable mileage and noise is kept down, no need to be woried. I was at first, but got used to it. Plus, this engine just begs to get past 5k RPM lol. Then it shows how quick and torquey it is :D.

I just have to disciple myself on highway to stay around 3k so I get good milage. This takes me to only 105km/h, but what do you want.

This engine in a M3 should be way fun to drive... I think i'll ask my sales rep at my 1st M5 checkup lol :).

Back