Hid

geezerz99

:
2006 MAZDA5 Sport
Anyone know a good place to buy a pair of h7 hid's? what's a good brand? are the one's on ebay any good?

Everything is plug-in play. If you know a little about wiring then you can do this. And that kit for $200 shipped is a steal.

Halogen projectors were never meant nor designed to house HID bulbs, so do so at your own risk. Performance may not be what you would expect.

dommo_g said:
Halogen projectors were never meant nor designed to house HID bulbs, so do so at your own risk. Performance may not be what you would expect.
Then how do you explain the Mazda3 GT, Mazda5 GT, C6 Vette, Ferraris, etc etc... they've got projector + HID. I'm not sure what the difference would be if the projected started out from the factory as a halogen or as a HID. You saying there's some type of design or aiming difference between the two? I never heard that before.

Last edited:
I'm no HID expert, but I think dommo_g is correct...to a point.
I know the Mazda3 w/factory HID has a manual adjustment so that you can adjust the glare and not blind oncoming traffic, and other cars with factory HIDs have and automatic leveler for the headlamps.
But other than that I think projector headlamps should be well suited aftermarket HIDs. With their sharp beam cut off you won't have your HID light flooding all over the place, it will be controlled and placed where it needs to be.
As far as the halogen headlamp assemblies physically being able to handle the HIDs...they're fine...you won't melt the plastic as the HID burners put out less heat than the halogen bulbs.

Installation was a breeze...the hardest part IMO was finding places to mount the ballasts.

And to toot my own horn, here's the write-up I did:
HID install

the_saint said:
I know the Mazda3 w/factory HID has a manual adjustment so that you can adjust the glare and not blind oncoming traffic, and other cars with factory HIDs have and automatic leveler for the headlamps.
A yes, I see. I do remember seeing something about 'leveling' with factory HID's. Makes sense...

However, I also agree with your point about HID's having a sharp cutoff point... this should help minimize the blinding.

Saint... as an owner of HID's in a Mazda5, do you find it makes a significant difference? In your opinion, where is $200-$250 better spent, tint or HID's? Also, this is a retard question probably, but once installed, do you use a separate switch for your HID's or do they turn on with the factory headlight switch? Does anyone have pics of them turned on at night?

Thanks

The HIDs IMO are somewhat a double edged sword. On the one hand they are FANTASTIC because they are much brighter than the halogen bulbs and as a result you can see more clearly, farther down the road...but the bad part (and I don't know if this is an issue with factory HID cars as well) is that, because of the sharp beam cut-of, it is had to see things beyond the range of the lights.
But all in all I wouldn't give up my HIDs for anything!

Which is $$ better spent..tint or HIDs...that's a tuffy. I guess it depends on your driving habits/usage. If you drive during the day (especially if you spend a lot of time hauling kids or people) I'd go with a quality tint job.
For me the HIDs were more because they look cool
cooly.gif

The HIDs use the factory wiring so they come on just like normal headlights.

Here are some crappy pics that I have of my HIDs...eventually I'll take some good pics.

Wow, those look amazing! (shocked) Ugh... I'm so torn, because while nothing equals the look of HIDs other than the real thing, I'm tempted to just throw in some Osram Silverstars and tint the windows... afterall, projectors are much better than regular ol' reflector halogens in the first place... ::sigh:: I don't know. Either way I've gotta get my 5 first so I'll have some time to think about it. Thanks for your thoughts on it...

Haha, been there before...just don't get overzealous like I did.
I was so set on buying an xB that I had bought a few things (Tanabe DF springs, Medallion axle back, & EL gauge face) for the Scion on the premiss that I would actually purchase one...only to buy a Mazda5 instead.
Yup, I'm a bonehead. lol

Latest posts

Back