Installation of fogs

nopstnz

:
99/00 Miata;04 RX-8; 07 CX-7
Hey Guys/Girls:

Our new EB 7 did not come with fogs as this was a sport package with AWD. My wife likes the looks and functionality of the OEM fogs. Anyone know if they are easy to install?

Keep in mind I have done many many mods on my Miata and RX-8, so the CX-7 doesn't scare me, but just wondering what kind of work was involved?

TIA!

Ok, I just got my fog kit, and I am pissed off!!! Everything went smooth until I had to hook up the wires....... THERE ARE NONE!!!!! The instructions said to look for the plugs taped on to the harnesses, and they dont exist. I think that Mazda decided to make fogs an option for the Sports after they started production and a few slipped through without harnesses. BTW, it is an easy install if you have any kind of mechanical knowledge, and they look great! I am going to call the dealer monday, and request them to get with Mazda and get the harnesses installed for free, because they should have been there from the factory and aren't.

CX-7heaven:

Wow that stinks! I would be really pissed also if I bought the fog kit and found out I don't have the wiring harness already installed. Can I ask what you paid for the fog kit?

tia!

I had to do some research into this at work (Mazda dealer) the other day because we had a customer who did not want the Grand Touring package (only package with the fog lamps) but wanted the fog lamps. After a call to Mazda they basically said that you cannot install them if your CX-7 didn't already have them installed from the factory. I questioned that response because they are offered through the Mazda accessories catalog implying the possibility of upgrading. They said that a notice was going to be issued to all Mazda dealers about this issue because apparently I wasn't the first to bring this to their attention. I even investigated the wiring on two of our CX-7's in inventory and as said previously, there is no way to wire them using the supplied wires (the wiring for the factory installed fogs spiders into a harness for several other components).

So basically if you don't have fogs from the factory, you cannot buy them from Mazda with any hope of a plug-and-play install. I told my manager about this and he said that if he were the one wanting to install the fogs, he would just get aftermarket fogs and wire them in a stand-alone fashion and not splice into the factory harnesses (in other words install a switch somewhere on the dash and run wires from the fogs to battery, ground and switch).

If you wanted to go the aftermarket route, you could probably order the black plastic grille inserts surrounding the fogs from Mazda and get fogs the same dimensions as the factory ones. If anyone needs the dimensions of the factory fogs, let me know and I can measure them the next time I'm at work.

And in response to the price of the kit, customer cost from our parts department was $250.

Moonman8 said:
I had to do some research into this at work (Mazda dealer) the other day because we had a customer who did not want the Grand Touring package (only package with the fog lamps) but wanted the fog lamps. After a call to Mazda they basically said that you cannot install them if your CX-7 didn't already have them installed from the factory. I questioned that response because they are offered through the Mazda accessories catalog implying the possibility of upgrading. They said that a notice was going to be issued to all Mazda dealers about this issue because apparently I wasn't the first to bring this to their attention. I even investigated the wiring on two of our CX-7's in inventory and as said previously, there is no way to wire them using the supplied wires (the wiring for the factory installed fogs spiders into a harness for several other components).

So basically if you don't have fogs from the factory, you cannot buy them from Mazda with any hope of a plug-and-play install. I told my manager about this and he said that if he were the one wanting to install the fogs, he would just get aftermarket fogs and wire them in a stand-alone fashion and not splice into the factory harnesses (in other words install a switch somewhere on the dash and run wires from the fogs to battery, ground and switch).

If you wanted to go the aftermarket route, you could probably order the black plastic grille inserts surrounding the fogs from Mazda and get fogs the same dimensions as the factory ones. If anyone needs the dimensions of the factory fogs, let me know and I can measure them the next time I'm at work.

And in response to the price of the kit, customer cost from our parts department was $250.

Wow that sucks! I guess iwon't be getting any "factory" fogs then. I guess I should have had them installed at the port. Oh well.(sad2)

After a call to Mazda they basically said that you cannot install them if your CX-7 didn't already have them installed from the factory. I questioned that response because they are offered through the Mazda accessories catalog implying the possibility of upgrading.
That is what I call false advertising. I WILL get Mazda to pay for them and work with the factory switch that was supplied in the fog kit. There are no disclaimers on the website, the sales staff, the service staff, the parts staff never said anything about it, nor did they show me anything in writing. I will be in touch with Mazda on Monday, then the BBB if I don't get satisfaction. BTW I paid like 190 for the kit(cost)

cx-7heaven said:
That is what I call false advertising. I WILL get Mazda to pay for them and work with the factory switch that was supplied in the fog kit. There are no disclaimers on the website, the sales staff, the service staff, the parts staff never said anything about it, nor did they show me anything in writing. I will be in touch with Mazda on Monday, then the BBB if I don't get satisfaction. BTW I paid like 190 for the kit(cost)

That is why Mazda is going to release a notice to all the parts deparments in authorized dealerships. It's a bad deal and the dealer should take your parts back for a full refund. There really isn't an excuse for the mix-up but in Mazda's defense, the parts catalog was probably written and printed before the release of the car (admittedly only an assumption) and they are still working out the usual first-model-year quirks of everything.

I understand that, my theory is that they started production before the accesory catalog was written, and all the options hashed out. However, that is no defense as far as I am concerned, Mazda should fix this in one way or the other, I don't want the money back, the fogs are already installed, I just want them to WORK.

Since you already have the kit and have them installed but not wired, what did the kit come with (complete list of parts in the box)? Did it come with a switch or controller of some type that is intalled in the dash?

I would try to figure out which wire does what on the harness that hooks up the fogs and extend them with some 18 awg wire to wherever they need to go. I have trouble imagining it's any more complicated than power, ground, and wire to switch/controller. I could very well be wrong and it's MUCH more complicated because the fogs harnesses are designed to spider into another harness but it's worth looking into since you already have them.

It came with 2 fogs, 2 panels for the bumper. 1 short jumper wire, 2 fog brackets, instructions, new headlight/blinker switch with fog switch on it(little ring). Not possible for me to trace back and wire in.... also not interested in that lol

cx-7heaven said:
It came with 2 fogs, 2 panels for the bumper. 1 short jumper wire, 2 fog brackets, instructions, new headlight/blinker switch with fog switch on it(little ring). Not possible for me to trace back and wire in.... also not interested in that lol

Oh yeah, I forgot the fogs were controlled from the blinker lever and not an independent switch like on my P5.

If you really wanted to keep the kit and make it operate as though it was installed at the factory, you could really push the parts catalog mix-up thing and make the dealer wire it for you. I'm not sure how far you'd get with that route but it's a possibility for you.

Damn, ilso have a Cx7 w/o foglights and i wanted them! guess ill go with some a/m ones if its that much of a pain in the ass!(pissed)
i saw a set on ebay for 210$ too. almost bought them. should just adapt reguardless(ughdance)

I was thinking about it, it actually should'nt be too hard for them to wire it. It prolly just needs to be wired from the fuse/relay box down, not all the way to the switch, cuz that plugged in just fine.

Update:

Called Mazda today. Cust. service rep said that they should be there, they are offered as an option. I'm bringing it in on Wed., they'll check it and warranty repair it. Satisfaction is coming! Wooohoooo!!!(first) :)

Back