Plus size tires question

Can someone explain the following to me:

The last vehicle is a completely new SUV from Mazda. The CX-7 just arrived and is targeted at the RX330 and MDX consumer market, both of which are great platforms for 22 inchers.

The CX-7 comes with 235/60R18s from the factory and a 5x4.5 bolt pattern and high offset. Making the calculations, we see that a 265/35R22 is dead on the money for a plus size. The sky is the limit with this one.​

It's from an article in tirereview.com

Does it mean that 265/35R22 tires will fit on the factory wheels? Or that if you buy new wheels and tires that size they'll fit on the CX-7?

It means that if you get larger wheels (22's) those are the tires you would get to fit.

-pixy- said:
It means that if you get larger wheels (22's) those are the tires you would get to fit.

Hmm. I want to replace these tires before winter, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there to replace them with. I don't even remotely need dedicated snow tires, as I'm in the DC area which usually gets very little snow. Also our summers can be hot... it's in the 90s today.

I think we agreed that we had the same dealer, did yours come with the Goodyears?

OK I can understand your wanting to change them out in that case.

G-Papi said:
OK I can understand your wanting to change them out in that case.

We don't usually have bad winters in the dc area, but if it snows and it's my turn to support our systems, then I pretty much need to go in.

If the whole tire thing had been known back in feb, I'd have included that in my request for quote, but I hate the whole dealer negotiation thing -- which is why I prefer to buy cars via fax -- so I didn't feel a big desire to keep on nibbling at the deal after I got what I wanted and agreed to it.

But these Bridgestones are rated pretty poorly for any sort of snow (not to mention rain, or even dry roads <g> ), so I figure better safe than sorry. I figured I'd order some tires from tirerack and have them shipped to a garage where I'd have them put them on for me.

Let me know what you ultimately decide on, and how they work for you.

Since I'm not going to use the "Advantage Program", I'll be buying my own at some point. I'll probably see how the Goodyears do in the snow here in early winter, then decide whether to keep them until I've really got to change.

We get about the same snowfall as the DC area, only with more hills. I don't think that Getting the thing to go is going to be a problem. I'm more concerned about how it these tires will stop it - especially with it's high center of gravity.

Back