Road Noise

makoto

Just took delivery of my new mazda 5 and was surprised by the 'high' level of road noise. Initially I thought that the tire's agressive treads were the cause and consulted with a tire expert but was told that low profile radials have hard sidewalls and will transmit road surface vibrations. Noise is bad if the road surface is slightly rough (wife describes it as a 'storm').Anyone else feel this as a problem?

I guess it really depends on what your used to driving. Yes, there is more road noise than I expected, but it is quieter than my Hyundai Elantra. Road noise is probably on par with the MPV I used to have.

It's not exactly cheap, and you should have a stereo shop install it if you're not a good DIY'er, but you can always install some Dynamat under the floor carpet to help cut down road noise. Dynamat, if you're unaware, is an adhesive sheet of insulation type material used for sound deadening in cars. It's used primarily to increase sound quality of stereo systems, but it's also known to dull out exterior noises when installed in the doors and the floor. I never used it, but those that do swear by it.

If you decide to go with it, I suggest the 'bulk kit' http://www.cardomain.com/item/DYN10155. You can buy it in smaller quantities, too.

Kind of an 'ouside the box' solution to your problem, but just an idea. And BTW, welcome to our happy little abode! (hi)

Zoom5Zoom said:
jandree when do you get ur 5
Last update from my dealer a few weeks ago was that it's scheduled to be built the first week of August and they'll get a shipping date from there. Predicted the end of August to the beginning of September. We'll be in Florida the last week of August, so regardless, we'll probably just wait to pick it up on Sept. 4th after we're home.

Seems like a long time to wait, but we ordered it May 25th, and time has flown since then. The wife and I actually stopped by a dealership while doing errands today just to look at them and I keep forgetting how nice and compact the 5 is. We're really excited! (yes)

JANDREE - Congratulations in advance on the 5 you have coming - I just drove the 5 at the dealer again today - just to confirm my purchase of the six wagon next week. Damn the 5 is a nice car!

I know some of you are used to it but getting into it again after not being in one for several weeks - it is just amazing the superior design of this vehicle.

It drives incredibly well - perfect cross between sport and comfort. The space is so intelligently used and efficient it is amazing.

The visibility is incredible. Enjoy your 5's, you don't get an all around great vehicle that often.

Regarding road noise - I will say that I was very impressed with the LACK of objectionable road noise in this car. I drive a Pacifica which is insulated to the hilt and the 5 dosent sound much worse. Unless you are coming out of a Lexus - I think the 5's noise is actually pretty good for such an affordable vehicle. Perhaps the smooth and quiet engine allow you to hear more road noise instead of the other way around?

makoto said:
Just took delivery of my new mazda 5 and was surprised by the 'high' level of road noise. Initially I thought that the tire's agressive treads were the cause and consulted with a tire expert but was told that low profile radials have hard sidewalls and will transmit road surface vibrations. Noise is bad if the road surface is slightly rough (wife describes it as a 'storm').Anyone else feel this as a problem?

Humm... he maybe right. I had the same problem with my Mazda3 (Goodyear tires of the same size as the 5). The car is nice and quiet until I run into highways paved with concrete. On asphalt, I never have any road noise issues. It is only when I drive on roads paved with concrete (e.g., in PA)

Wuster said:
The car is nice and quiet until I run into highways paved with concrete. On asphalt, I never have any road noise issues. It is only when I drive on roads paved with concrete (e.g., in PA)
There was a farmer who had a dog and Bing-o was his name-o. B - I - N - G - O, B - I - N - G - O, B - I - N - G - O, And Bing-o was his name-o!

lol, seriously, concrete will do that. PA SR-283 (Lancaster to Harrisburg) is notorious for being completely concrete. Concrete gives you that kind of piercing whine under your tires... then you hit a newly paved asphalt section and suddenly it's like butta, feels like you're riding on a cushion of air.

If concrete is the issue at hand, it's like that with all cars/all tires.

jandree22 said:
There was a farmer who had a dog and Bing-o was his name-o. B - I - N - G - O, B - I - N - G - O, B - I - N - G - O, And Bing-o was his name-o!

lol, seriously, concrete will do that. PA SR-283 (Lancaster to Harrisburg) is notorious for being completely concrete. Concrete gives you that kind of piercing whine under your tires... then you hit a newly paved asphalt section and suddenly it's like butta, feels like you're riding on a cushion of air.

If concrete is the issue at hand, it's like that with all cars/all tires.

It seems to be wrost with the lower sidewalls. I've made the trips to Lancaster multiple times before and don't recall the road noise being as bad with our CRV (75 series sidewall).

You can use my wife's solution to tire noise... she reaches over and turns up the volume on the radio.

BTW jandree22 it was hot as h**l in Lancaster last weekend. I thought it was suppose to be cooler further North. :)

Wuster said:
BTW jandree22 it was hot as h**l in Lancaster last weekend. I thought it was suppose to be cooler further North. :)
ha... today it's supposed to flirt with 100* (98*). But that's nothing, I saw that a section of South Dakota got to freekin 120*F a few days ago!

Blame it on Al Gore (lol2)

jandree22 said:
It's not exactly cheap, and you should have a stereo shop install it if you're not a good DIY'er, but you can always install some Dynamat under the floor carpet to help cut down road noise. Dynamat, if you're unaware, is an adhesive sheet of insulation type material used for sound deadening in cars. It's used primarily to increase sound quality of stereo systems, but it's also known to dull out exterior noises when installed in the doors and the floor. I never used it, but those that do swear by it.

If you decide to go with it, I suggest the 'bulk kit' http://www.cardomain.com/item/DYN10155. You can buy it in smaller quantities, too.

Kind of an 'ouside the box' solution to your problem, but just an idea. And BTW, welcome to our happy little abode! (hi)

Right idea, but Dynamat is like Bose, overpriced and over hyped. fatmat.com is the same stuff at a third of the cost. I've already done my front doors and rear spare tire area. I plan to do the roof and rear doors and gate. It does improve things immensely.

Kid Red said:
Right idea, but Dynamat is like Bose, overpriced and over hyped. fatmat.com is the same stuff at a third of the cost.
thanks for that kidred. I agree with you 100%... I knew there were other cheaper brands out there but didn't know their names.

It's like an Cadillac Escalade compared to a Chevy Tahoe... essentially it's the same truck, but you'll pay $20k more for the Cadillac name

Check out this site I stumbled upon.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

It lists a whole bunch of automotive sound deadeners. Personally, I have used Dynamat and B-Quiet Extreme. Huge price difference between the two, but with Dynamat, you pay for their name. Another one I haven't tried, but have heard good reviews from a forum I used to be a member of (matrixowners.com) RAAM mat is alos a good one to try.

I still have some B-Quiet left over from my Matrix project. Have been looking for the time and energy to install initially on my doors and rear cargo area, and then onto the rear doors and perhaps the whole floor board.

I am hesitant on putting sound deadeners on my rear hatch as it may affect the load on the struts holding up the hatch door. Did you also know that the rear hatch on the 5 is actually fibreglass? It definitely isn't a metal door. saves weight to make it easy to open.

I short run of maybe 12" high and most of the width of the door should not add that much weight.

There is also a paint on deadener that I've thought about using under the car in the tire fender areas. I hate going over puddles, it's like shattering glass!

Kid Red said:
I short run of maybe 12" high and most of the width of the door should not add that much weight.

There is also a paint on deadener that I've thought about using under the car in the tire fender areas. I hate going over puddles, it's like shattering glass!

try applying some dynamat (any brand, that is) on your inner wheel wells - that will entail though that you pull out the carpeting inside your car; while you're at it, might as well do the whole floor area. That is a guaranteed way to isolate your car from road noise, etc. I've heard some horror stories of guys applying the liquid deadener only to have it start melting (Arizona/Nevada heat) or solidfying in the winter - have moisture build up ergo: rust over a few years.

The liquid would be like the same stuff Mazda uses I assume. Look in the tire well an you'll see it painted on. I just think they went too light with it. ALso, the liquid form (some at least) are good till 400 degrees, that's pretty damn hot.

Doing the inside with a mat tho might be cleaner. There isn't a need to do the floor because the entire floor is 4" tall styrofoam. I think that would buffer the sound well enough.

Now if only we could get better seals on the doors....

Way back when (don't know if they still do it) Rustproofing companies (Ziebart, etc) would advertise aside from rustrpoofing cars that the chemicals they apply to the underside of cars is also supposed to reduce road noise. Some applied a tar based product, while others started formulating rubber based products. That may be another route to look into.

For me, if I do it, I will stick to matting my inside fenders (although road noise on my 5 doesn't really bother me.) I've actually found that Mazda seems to pay more attention to insulation, etc. to the 5 than my experience with my Matrix XRS. I actually matted the whole floor pan, all four doors and rear cargo area, and rear hatch to get the 'silence' that I wanted.

My real noise issues are top of the front doors as there seems to be a gap between the door and the frame that air gets into. Also, above the moonroof. I've done the doors so now other areas of noise stick out more. I think doing the roof would really help.

Wuster said:
Humm... he maybe right. I had the same problem with my Mazda3 (Goodyear tires of the same size as the 5). The car is nice and quiet until I run into highways paved with concrete. On asphalt, I never have any road noise issues. It is only when I drive on roads paved with concrete (e.g., in PA)

I always wondered why everyone commented on road noise - I thought the 5 was real quiet. (Jetta/Golf being my previous cars) And then I drove at highway speed on a concrete road and now I know what you talk about. Those roads are brutal - stick to the asphalt and you'll be happy happy happy!!

mazdaFIVEmike said:
I always wondered why everyone commented on road noise - I thought the 5 was real quiet. (Jetta/Golf being my previous cars) And then I drove at highway speed on a concrete road and now I know what you talk about. Those roads are brutal - stick to the asphalt and you'll be happy happy happy!!

Well, unfortunately, more then half the roads are concrete??? I would not be able to get to where I need to driving only on asphalt, hehe

The 5 is MUCH quieter than the Camry which is #1 in car sales. So, in that respect it is, but drive on asphalt, thru a puddle, etc and you'll hear enough noise to irritate you. Hell, to be scared stay in your car and go thru an autowash. I thought the 5 was going to break the sheet metal is so thin.

Latest posts

Back