Short Ram Intake

:
2006 Mazda6s
hey i was lookin into getting an intake for my 2006 Mazda6s. and i was wondering what was the difference between a short ram intake and a regular one, other then one is shorter then the other. what are the pros and cons, what do you recomend? any help is great. thanks

A short ram will still take the intake air from under the hood/inside the engine compartment. Some short ram's will come with an insulating shield that blocks them off from the engine itself. This helps to keep the intake air cooler. A cold air intake will relocate the air filter outside the engine compartment.(usually to a fender well or behind the front bumper). This will provide for a much colder intake charge. The only drawback is that the air filter can be put really close to the ground and if you live in a wet area you could damage the mass airflow sensor or if you drive through a foot of water you could suck the water right into the motor and hydro-lock it. I know that AEM (and probably others) makes a valve that will prevent water from being sucked into the motor. I attached a picture of my CAI. The motor is on the left and the air filter is in the fender well on the right (drivers side).

Attachments

• DSC00497.JPG
    DSC00497.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 864
It looks like the regular 6 has the same stupid super restrictive airbox that the speed6 has. A CAI will make a difference...it did for my speed6. But for you it looks like a short ram will do the same for half the price.

Last edited:
cool i think im gonna go with the short ram, the only thing i dont like is i hear its loud, wich i dont like because im going to be useing this car for every day driving, im 16 and this is my only car, so i dont want anything loud and annoying. and one know of a way i can fix this or know of a brand that isent so loud?

They will all be loud. The extra sound comes from the open element filter. Your stock airbox has baffles in the bottom with a resonator attached below them to muffle the "sucking" sound. Without these you will hear that sound. You will only hear it when you accelerate hard and it won't be that loud on a naturally aspirated motor. I have a CAI on my turbo motor and with the windows up and the radio on a low level I can't even hear it while driving.

ChicagoKid said:
Is that AEM model #21-641???

I'm looking for the same one as yours.

Thanks....

Yes sir 21-641. I got it from https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned). Final price $255 after shipping. Though I must warn you I don't have the computer reflash and when I ran this on 93 octane I had serious power loss issues. I've been running on Sunoco 94 since the second tank after installing the CAI and I haven't had a single power loss issue since.

Back