How do we get the bottom cover off??

opus

:
2006 True Silver Mazda5 Touring 5M
I am looking to change the oil in my new 5. Benfolio has been nice enough to state that you need to take off the bottom cover to get to the filter, but no one provided the instructions on how to do this. I have noticed five silver screws, three towards the front and two on the back. Is this all that needs to be unscrewed to remove the cover? I would really appreciate some help here from those who have gone before me into this project.

opus said:
I am looking to change the oil in my new 5. Benfolio has been nice enough to state that you need to take off the bottom cover to get to the filter, but no one provided the instructions on how to do this. I have noticed five silver screws, three towards the front and two on the back. Is this all that needs to be unscrewed to remove the cover? I would really appreciate some help here from those who have gone before me into this project.

Here is a link to a detailed step by step process on how to change the oil (even though the instruction is for a Mazda3, everything is the same for the Mazda5).

http://robert.aitchison.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=Mazda3+DIY+Oil+Change

there are three bolts across the front, two on each side, and i think one or two at the rear. Just feel at and around the bolts, to see what they are securing if you're not sure.
Then the two push-pins at the front need to come out. I would recommend pulling those out first. otherwise, the weight of the whole shield is hanging by those two clips and the flimsy brackets they attach to. Just pop a flat-head screw driver in there, it pops the inner part down a little, grab it with a pair of pliers, and pull. the whole plug assembly should come out. they kinda work like drywall anchors... if you can picture it.

On my next change, I'm going to completely remove the cover and cut a hole a tad bit larger than the filter just underneath it so I can access it without taking the cover off.

I'm tired of having to remove it just to change the oil.

Matt

That's what I did to mine. Just made the hole in the underbelly pan large enough to access and remove the filter. Sure made my life simpler since I do my own oil/filter changes.

MD5 said:
On my next change, I'm going to completely remove the cover and cut a hole a tad bit larger than the filter just underneath it so I can access it without taking the cover off.

I'm tired of having to remove it just to change the oil.

Matt

The cover is actually a shield - the original hole is only there for inspection purposes. Making this hole bigger negates the whole purpose of the "shield" (keeping as much of the road dirt and grime away from the engine).

smmra said:
The cover is actually a shield - the original hole is only there for inspection purposes. Making this hole bigger negates the whole purpose of the "shield" (keeping as much of the road dirt and grime away from the engine).

Well, I don't believe it messed the aerodynamics of my 5 up that much. Haven't noticed any front end lift or reduced gas mileage. The hole isn't all that much larger than it used to be, just enough room to get a wrench on that pesky oil filter cover. I use a bike rack on a trailer hitch also, which no doubt has all sorts of negatives associated with it, but if it makes my life easier and does no damage, I'm all for it.

hmiwb said:
Well, I don't believe it messed the aerodynamics of my 5 up that much. Haven't noticed any front end lift or reduced gas mileage. The hole isn't all that much larger than it used to be, just enough room to get a wrench on that pesky oil filter cover. I use a bike rack on a trailer hitch also, which no doubt has all sorts of negatives associated with it, but if it makes my life easier and does no damage, I'm all for it.

Back