Door edge guards...worth it?

IMO, seems like these are more of protection against scuffing up the paint of the car next to you. Sure you'll scuff up the paint of your door edge a pinch, but A) it's hardly noticable unrepaired and B) touch up paint won't look bad there.

If you're really looking for some good paint protection, save up a little and check out this. Pro's - Stuff's amazing, it's virtually invisible, and it won't damage your paint like a black leather bra. Con's - It's expensive, it needs replaced after about 7-10 years. I've never used it but I've heard consistent rave reviews from those that have... many with high end cars like Vette's and Ferarri's use it.

Just an idea...

Mazda's door edge guards are painted METAL. I don't see how this saves YOU from chips/nicks.

Benfolio said:
Mazda's door edge guards are painted METAL. I don't see how this saves YOU from chips/nicks.
I don't suppose it does, but it's cheaper to replace a door guard than to replace a door.

Dent doctor if needed that is all.... that molding does not match all car heights on the road so why bother... JMO

I love the shine of just metal without plastic on it

About to get these but having second thoughts...

Anyone got pictures of a door guards on vehicle? Can you post?

My 06 dealer had a "special" paint treatment and door edge guards for free as part of the sale. I took both when closing the deal but I don't have pictures. Regardless, they needed to go quickly, they really mess up the looks (regardless of having the same color as the car)

In my opinion they don't really help much unless the driver and passenger are quite careless when opening the doors. As for the kids, the sliding doors make it more difficult to mess the edges anyway :)

Last edited:
I just canceled my order.

David Johnson at Mazdastuff was very helpful BTW. Called me to tell me these wouldn't ship with the bulk of my order (seat covers) and then mentioned these were a bit of PITA to install and volunteered to email me installation instructions. Amazing!

Oh and the rest of my stuff shipped free on the same day.

Between thinking about installing these (actually not that hard) and a quick cost/benifit analysis between guards and touch-up paint costs, I decided not.

http://www.mazdastuff.com/directory.cfm?CategoryID=247

Is there a vendor reviews section??? I'd like to put in a good word there for them...

Thanks all!

AW

Last edited:
^^ Great!

Not doing marketing here, but I have bought from mazdastuff.com and corksport, both very good service...

Now, where is my discount... :p

Yes, not affiliated, just happy. Good service is so nice. Don't suppose it helps him sell a lot of door edge guards tho <Grin>

Cheers,
AW

You should only need these if you're in the habit of dinging other people's cars with your door. You're not one of THOSE people are you? :)

I thought about getting these because my driveway is really narrow with fences on either side...

With my old car sometimes the wind would surprise me and BANG there goes the paint on the whole edge of an inch or so of door.

You should only need these if you're in the habit of dinging other people's cars with your door. You're not one of THOSE people are you? :)

I'm not - ready to kill door dingers - but it might help me relax around my 5yo and wife. I try to vouch for them but there is always potential for embarrassment. Hate to be control freak if you know what I mean.

Still I didn't get them. (silly)

I've got a partial brick wall in my garage on the driver's side. It's a perfect height for dinging the edge of the door when getting in and out of the (somewhat narrow) garage.
My car is the '07 Plum Mica - a fairly dark color. I just went to the auto parts store and got a 10ft. roll of self-adhesive flexible door edge guard molding. Left out in the sun a few minutes prior to unrolling and sticking on, it has worked great for the past year. My previous car, a 2003 Focus, had the identical product and they held tight after 4+ years on the car.
As for appearance, my car is a fairly dark color and the the moldings simply disappear and are almost invisible. So, if you have one of the darker colors and want the added protection, I'd say go for it. The stuff I got probably cost around $14 or so....

Back