AC "squeal"?

smaria

:
2002 Honda Civic + 2006 Mazda5
On my trip from Ohio to NJ this week, the AC gave out a loud "squeal" every time it turned on...almost sounded like squealing tires, but not quite. The sound would repeat every minute or so if the AC was left on. It was raining during the drive, so the humidity was very high. Despite the noise, the AC seemed to be working ok.

Anyone know what this noise is? Has it happened to anyone else during high humidity? I'm planning on asking the service guys about it during my next oil change, but with my luck they won't be able to replicate it.

Sounds like you got it. Loose or glazed belt.

Inspect and replace immediately. I'm not familiar with your car, but if yours is a serpentine belt, its failure could make the vehicle immediately completely inoperable - like if the same belt drives altinator, water pump, etc.

Yup

Sounds like a loose belt.... simple fix cross ur fingers. HEY G Serpentine omg that is OLD NEWS on the Mazda 5

Definately replace

No doubt... loose belt. Don't try to go cheap and just tighten it though, you definately want to replace this as soon as possible. The slippage creates heat which creates a lot of other problems like glazing, stretching and thermal breakdown. Get that sucker replaced, and see if they can't find out why it got loose to begin with...

Belt Squealing

smaria said:
On my trip from Ohio to NJ this week, the AC gave out a loud "squeal" every time it turned on...almost sounded like squealing tires, but not quite. The sound would repeat every minute or so if the AC was left on. It was raining during the drive, so the humidity was very high. Despite the noise, the AC seemed to be working ok.

Anyone know what this noise is? Has it happened to anyone else during high humidity? I'm planning on asking the service guys about it during my next oil change, but with my luck they won't be able to replicate it.

I have the same problem. My mechanic that I take my Mazda5 to for routine maintenance said the belt was either glazed or loose. The belt is on an automatic tightening pully, which means it can not be tightened manually. If your car is under warranty I would take it into the Mazda dealer and ask them to replace the belt. The belts should all last 100,000 miles. I am taking my car in for an acceleration hesitation problem and will be asking about the belt. Hope this helps.

well - my compressor went out in mine and it did make a squeeling noise but it also started smoking like crazy. So - it's probably just a belt, definitely take it in and have them check it out.

07MZ5SA said:
How do you adjust A/C belt?

I don't see any tension pulley.

You can't. In fact, you have to cut it to get it off. The new belt comes in a kit that has a tool for installing the new one. Expensive though, $55.

I know this is an old thread, but I think the same problem just surfaced in our 5. I noticed it today on a 65 mile round trip while it was raining pretty hard. Intermittent high-pitched squeal that lasted about 5 seconds and happened every 1-2 minutes while the A/C was on while cruising at highway speeds. Interestingly, after turning the A/C on and off a few times--to see if that was the problem--I didn't hear the squeal for the last fifteen miles.

Easy enough to take it back to the dealer, but what should I be asking them to do? I know it's a belt, but that's all my mechanically challenged mind understands. What belt, specifically? And should I just ask the dealer to change this specific belt?

Same Issue...renewing this thread

We had the EXACT same problem on our trip up to Vermont (drive)(from MD).

Very hard, driving rain, and every time the AC came on we'd get a good squeal that lasted a few seconds. Very annoying as the windows were fogging up because of the rain.

Once things dried out there was no squeal anymore. Nothing on the way back, in fact, I have not heard it since.

Will have it checked out the next time I am in the shop (next week, to have a compression test done, our 5 (2006) is using oil...but that is a whole other story)

it's not a loose belt or a bad belt. I had the same problem. Bought a brand new goodyear gatorback belt (suppose to be the best for wet conditions). First test drive next day after changing it squealing like I did nothing. Easiest way to fix the squeal is sticking a piece of 200 MPH tape over the hole directly underneath the belt on the plastic skid plate. Hasn't been back since.

I never found a TSB on this and neither did the dealer. If you have one, please post it.

In any event, no squeal since (1) dealer replaced the belt, (2) they covered the hole in the skid plate. Who knows which one worked, but something did.

there's a TSB on this.... SEARCH!!!

Cannot find the TSB, even after searching...can you post a link?

Also, doctorz...what belt was replaced? Sepentine?
I've never been happy with the quality of A/C coldness (or complete lack of) in the 5 - I wonder if is this related to a routinely slipping belt that is only noticeable when wet due to the squeal?

Have the same problem. Only happens when it's raining and the road is wet. There's a similar problem with the Mazda6's but can't find the thread. It says that water is coming in through one of the air passage holes in the engine bottom cover. They suggested covering one of the holes that's directly under the belt. Never had the chance to try it though.

The implication was that there was a TSB for the 5. It is easy to find the one for the Protege, but I don't believe there is one for the 5.

Also, doctorz...what belt was replaced?

A/C belt. Interesting thing is that they poured water over all the belts and couldn't reproduce the squeal. It was only when I took a dealer tech out in a thunderstorm that they decided to replace the belt. The fix may very well be covering that hole in the skid plate, though, because they did that at the same time.

Back