0 to 60 in 5.9 sec. but 0 to 100 in 24.6 wotf!!!

fellowkillla

Contributor
:
06 mazdaspeed 6(black/black) 09 CX9 (WHTE/BLK INT.)
(omg) (omg) (pissed) (shocked) (RTM) ladies and gentlemen it came to my attention that the msp6 is the slowest in the 0 to 100.car and driver suymmary said.what breaks my heart is that volvo xc90 does 24.5 and the camry does a 24.8? don't get me wrong i own the ms6 and love every minute of it.. imo their numbers are wrong.. your input about this slander!!!

? the MS6 does 0-100 in arround 14 seconds (Hell I get my Pro up to 87mph in 15.9) Fromlooking at its 1/4 times of arround 14 @ 99mph.

Are you talking about the 1000m?

Also in your example you say the MS6 is the slowest with 24.6, but later state the Camry does 24.8, can you see the problem with that statement?

Whatever you looked at was wrong or misread, the MS6 is hella fast, and corners damn nice too. No chance a Camry will keep up with it, in a 1/4 or to the 1000m, especially when it takes arround 8 seconds to get to 60mph.

I dont know for sure, but you have several different variables working against you that the Camry doesnt.

The Camry has 268 hp na so no spool time. And the torque (268) at 4700 rpm. I think its the torque that kills it. Although the Speed6 has more it peeks at 3k rpm. That means it also drops off faster. So the higher your rpm the slower your acceleration. Its kind of a give and take thing.

Hughes412 said:
I dont know for sure, but you have several different variables working against you that the Camry doesnt.

The Camry has 268 hp na so no spool time. And the torque (268) at 4700 rpm. I think its the torque that kills it. Although the Speed6 has more it peeks at 3k rpm. That means it also drops off faster. So the higher your rpm the slower your acceleration. Its kind of a give and take thing.

What kind of transmission does it have, that will make the difference.

I dont beleve a manual is even a option on the Camry.

Keep in mind the MS6 has...

274 @ 5500 RPM
280 @ 3000 RPM

With the turbo it has putting out stock boost, turbo lag is almost non-existant in full acceleration. Yeah you might get a half sec of lag if you slam the gas while cruising on the highway, but in a 1/4, the Turbo is spooled at launch anyways, and there is 0 lag between shifts at high rpm's.

Also, the MS6 making its peak torque at 3000rpms, is crazy sweet, due to the VVT that allows the engine to have a BEUTIFULL powerband. Boost plus VVT on a well tuned stock motor is sweet.

The boost and VVT stop it from dropping off faster.

The Camry doesnt stand a chance.

Just look at the 0-60 in arround 8 seconds Vs 5.9 of the MS6.

Last edited:
fellowkillla said:
(omg) (omg) (pissed) (shocked) (RTM) ladies and gentlemen it came to my attention that the msp6 is the slowest in the 0 to 100.car and driver suymmary said.what breaks my heart is that volvo xc90 does 24.5 and the camry does a 24.8? don't get me wrong i own the ms6 and love every minute of it.. imo their numbers are wrong.. your input about this slander!!!
I ve read in several articles that it does 0-60 in 5.2sec. If you know how to launch your car right. And as far as 0to100,.....well .2 is not that huge of a difference considering are 1/4 mile times are mostly in the 13.77-14.2 range stock, the car is all wheel drive.....(Were threw the light before most others tires stop spinning). I personally ran a 13.9 in the 1/4 and should have ran faster but I was shifting into 5th at the very end

look in the back of an up to date car and driver summary,i just sayin is that once it past 0 to 60 the numbers start to get higher instead of lower.

fellowkillla said:
look in the back of an up to date car and driver summary,i just sayin is that once it past 0 to 60 the numbers start to get higher instead of lower.
Ahh, my car doesn't travel back in time either. I'm pretty sure it's no cause for alarm. (peep)

def typo. look how it does just about 100 in the 1/4. It's gonna take 10 more seconds to get 1mph? I think not. Def a typo. Everyone to your e-mails and bombard C&D. :p

norotor,i agree it should say 14.6,but they saying 24.6.and to put an end to all this. my friend had a stop watch and this what we got!! 0 to 60 in 5.8sec and 0 to 100 18.2 sec. now each gear change was 5800 rpm. anyway i still love it zoom zoom.....

fellowkillla said:
norotor,i agree it should say 14.6,but they saying 24.6.and to put an end to all this. my friend had a stop watch and this what we got!! 0 to 60 in 5.8sec and 0 to 100 18.2 sec. now each gear change was 5800 rpm. anyway i still love it zoom zoom.....

Damn, you got to 100 in 18.2, you guys need some practice. That can be done in 14-15 seconds in the MS6.

Your shifting waaaaaaay wrong, try closer to 7000rpm, you need to PASS your peak hp point before you shift (are you forgetting about gearing?) so as to be in better rpms for the next gear, ESPECIALLY if you peak hp arround 5800rpm and red line at 7000rpm. Depending on the power curve you can dip into the red (dont hit your limiter) know where your rev limiter is, and dont forget its a boosted car.

Last edited:
(peep) yo rac3 my car still new, onlyy have 650 miles on it .she still a baby!!!

fellowkillla said:
(peep) yo rac3 my car still new, onlyy have 650 miles on it .she still a baby!!!

Break her in Bro, I totally feel you on that.

Once you got her broken in a bit & shift correct, you will get some crazy fast times out of that there Full size Family Sedan. Camry's wont be able to keep up ;)

Rac3rX said:
Damn, you got to 100 in 18.2, you guys need some practice. That can be done in 14-15 seconds in the MS6.

Your shifting waaaaaaay wrong, try closer to 7000rpm, you need to PASS your peak hp point before you shift (are you forgetting about gearing?) so as to be in better rpms for the next gear, ESPECIALLY if you peak hp arround 5800rpm and red line at 7000rpm. Depending on the power curve you can dip into the red (dont hit your limiter) know where your rev limiter is, and dont forget its a boosted car.
dont forget you lose boost on this car stock at 5500rpm. With a catback,cai and blowoff Im gettin boost unitl 6000 maybe 6200rpm. After that I may as well of let off the gas

Do you have a boost guage? Big difference between "I think i lose boost after bla bla bla" and "I actually lose boost after bla"

I ask this because far as I can tell most people with boost guages say they hold boost just fine into higher RPMs...

Also... not to nit pick or anything.. but MSP6? When did Mazda Speed Protege 6 come out? Car and driver must have another typo... MPS is the non US model... MS6 is the US model....

Last edited:
fellowkillla said:

I have just over 10K on my MS6 and let me tell you that the MS6 does NOT take 24.5 seconds to get to 100. On my way to work I do a short jaunt on the freeway. Usually, I enjoy a quick blast before I take the exit to work. 100 mph (160 kmh) comes and goes in much less than 20 seconds and quite possibly less than 15 seconds (although I have not measured it with a stop watch to be sure.

Definite typo and anti-MS6 propaganda.

R

PerfectXtreme said:
Do you have a boost guage? Big difference between "I think i lose boost after bla bla bla" and "I actually lose boost after bla"

I ask this because far as I can tell most people with boost guages say they hold boost just fine into higher RPMs...

Also... not to nit pick or anything.. but MSP6? When did Mazda Speed Protege 6 come out? Car and driver must have another typo... MPS is the non US model... MS6 is the US model....
Yeah, actually I do have a boost gauge and no, not all of these cars are holding boost well into high rpms. it redlines at 7000rpm so if you have a boost gauge and look at it while you accelerate you would no that after you reach a certain rpm (Way more noticable at higher speeds) (my car does at least)your gonna start to loose boost. Ive probably read 15 other posts of people with the stock ms6 smart ass that all say the same thing,(WE LOSE BOOST AT 5500rpm)! OH and I never said I think I loose boost, I know I do....I have video shot by someone sittn behind me and we analyzed it for about an hour! Oh and one other thing....In 4th gear between 87-95mph my boost gradually declines to 12psi and holds there till 100mph. Theres some info for ya so bla...bla...bla....

Last edited:
jcgemt2003 said:
Yeah, actually I do have a boost gauge and no, not all of these cars are holding boost well into high rpms. it redlines at 7000rpm so if you have a boost gauge and look at it while you accelerate you would no that after you reach a certain rpm (Way more noticable at higher speeds) (my car does at least)your gonna start to loose boost. Ive probably read 15 other posts of people with the stock ms6 smart ass that all say the same thing,(WE LOSE BOOST AT 5500rpm)! OH and I never said I think I loose boost, I know I do....I have video shot by someone sittn behind me and we analyzed it for about an hour! Oh and one other thing....In 4th gear between 87-95mph my boost gradually declines to 12psi and holds there till 100mph. Theres some info for ya so bla...bla...bla....

Even if your losing boost, or past peak, you cant forget about gearing, Or the Power band, Get a Dyno graph for the car (Doesnt have to be yours, just a stock base line pull. With that you will be able to better pin point where to shift.

Ill give an example

My Protege LX makes peak torque arround 4000rpm, and peak hp arround 6000rpm.

The hp however doesnt plumit at 6000rpm, it does curve down untill arround 7000rpm where it falls off the chart.

When Drag racing, I shift arround 6800rpm (In the red line) doing this, allows for the most pull in that gear & sets up the rpms better for the next gear.

I get 15.9 in the 1/4 with an intake/exhaust/header.

& Im N/A making 0 boost.

I went out to get a Dyno graph of the MS6 so we can check it out. I couldnt find a stock baseline, but I found one with only an intake, thats it.

ms6dyno2mq.png

According to this graph...

Looking at it, Im suprised there is a 7000rpm red line, as power PLUMITS before getting to that point. Arround 6600rpm there is next to no power being made at all. The car must feel like crap when higher then 6200rpm's when STOCK.

After looking at this I would be shifting arround 6200rpm with only an Intake or stock (we wont see HUGE differences from only an intake).

HOWEVER!!!!

With a Intake, BOV and Catback as you say your holding boost longer (to arround 6200rpm over 5500rpm), this will push that shift point a little higher, more like 6600rpm's. That will need be confirmed on a Dyno, however If you hold boost untill 6200rpms, its certain to have more power at that point then where as a more stock set up boost falls arround 5500rpm.

So with your set up I would shift arround 6600rpm's BUT I would get a Dyno done to confirm where the NEW fall point in the graph is anyways.

Last edited:
Back