boost at WOT??

Bigg Tim

:
MazdaSpeed 6
Is there a problem with the speed 6's not holding boost all the way to redline? I drove 2 of them and at WOT only, it feels like the boost falls off after 4500RPM and the car does not feel as strong as it does below that. As a matter of fact, it feels like my wifes Mazda 3 at that point. Now at half throttle or so, it pulls hard much higher in the RPM range, like up towards the 5500 area.

Is this something in the ECU controlling how much boost it has up top, or is the turbo falling on it's face? I can't see it being the turbo becuase it feels stronger at like half throttle. I'm looking at getting one but if there is no power up top, then I may have to re-think it. If it's just a matter of putting a boost controller on it to make it hold a steady boost, then that's no biggie. It's just wierd that it's only at WOT that it does that. Help me out people!

edit: I found the answer on another site, the ECU opens the WG after 4200RPM if it senses cheap gas(via knock), which the dealers probably do. This thread can be deleted, I didn't see an option to delete it.

Last edited:
You are right about using cheap gas, but once you get the 6 and get a boost gauge, it shows that it still holds boost after 4500 rpms. It is approx. 15 - 17psi of boost and spikes at 20 - 22 psi. :)

jecoy said:
You are right about using cheap gas, but once you get the 6 and get a boost gauge, it shows that it still holds boost after 4500 rpms. It is approx. 15 - 17psi of boost and spikes at 20 - 22 psi. :)

So what the hell is it then? That made the car feel like a total DOG!!! Is it just dumping so much fuel? I have seen a dyno graph that showed it pegged at 10.0:1 all the way up, and that was probably because the WB at the dyno didn't read any lower.

Do you experience this?

I have a CAI and BOV installed... and I Run 92-93 only and always.... Sometimes 100+ at the tracks but not often... ANYWAY, every now and again I feel as if the power isn't what it should be... but you have to remember this vehicle is 100% computer controlled, even the throttle is computer controlled...

Sadly... I have come to accept... that I can't expect the car to offer 100% of its power all of the time. There are times when I'll accidently under estimate the thing taking off from a stop light (not racing... just trying to get ahead of someone to change lanes) and get thrown back into the seat... and other times... I'll stomp on it to pass someone and feel bogged down...

Few things... it is TMIC... so if you aren't at mid-high speeds you are running off hot air... IMO the IC is only really useful to help performance and power in 3rd gear +.

This is why a lot of us are looking forward to FMIC or side mounds, I think if someone produces a quality and working FMIC.. we will start to see steady performance and numbers...

Hell, dyno pulls for us is almost unfair... considering we get to watch our TMIC sit over a hot running engine with no air flow...

I did the deed and picked up a titanium Speed 6 today. I have to say it must have been the fuel thing because this one does NOT do what I described above. It does flaten out a little up top, but it pulls past 4500 strong. This car is great, I love the early smoother power, compared to my turbo'd MP3.....it came on hard and late. The first thing I gotta get is some wheels, these suck!!!

Bigg Tim said:
The first thing I gotta get is some wheels, these suck!!!

I agree....
I'll post mine tomorrow. MSR 18" gunmetal 5 spoke.

Attachments

• boosted 6.JPG
    boosted 6.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 756
  • ms6 outside2.JPG
    ms6 outside2.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:
SO I put in a boost gauge and when I hit full boost, the boost is erratic. It does not hold a steady 15psi, the needle just flickers. Could this be the BPV not holding the boost? My Turbo'd MP3 held boost rock solid.

Nope, it's hooked up right. I tee'd off the line to the BPV and I even put a vacuum pump in the line to the gauge to make sure it holds vacuum and it does. Someone else experienced this as well, so I dunno.

Back