Found an alternative to overhead monitors!!

Hello all!!

I found an alternative to the over head monitors (no digging into the head liner!)

PLVS7HM.jpg

It's a headrest monitor from pyle, It comes with mounts to put it in the headrest, and mounts that allow you to attach it to the headrest support pillars! Now all I have to do is figure out how to route the wire!

Pierre

Wuster said:
Is this a complete system or just the monitor?

Just the monitor, you still need a DVD player!

But first things first. Have to fix the Weak stereo! I think they modelled the stereo after an early eighty Mustang. Just no power. And no matter have rear biased you make the fader. The sound always seems to be coming primarially from the front speakers!

We picked up a unit from walmart.com a while back that has the DVD player and and two screens that attach to the headrests. inexpensive too.

0082621900295_215X215.jpg

The games suck though. Target carries a similar one.

Interesting...

So is the DVD player part of the screen or separate from the screen?

Pyle isn't a brand I'd feel comfortable with, and routing those wires would be a journey far beyond that of installing an overhead unit. I'd love headrest units with DVD player all-in-one, but the 5 headrest doesn't seem a worthy size and they are so expensive.

I'm still planning on getting an overhead unit this summer.

"headrest?! e'ff that son, drop one in yo' steerin wh33l!
Ludacris did!"
lol! I remember reading an article how the California DOT was raiding shops that were doing steering wheel monitor installs. They were being charged with removing existing safety devices (the airbag of coarse).

Nice! Do you find that it gets in the way of your rearview mirror when folded down? I'm getting the same thing, OEM in my Mazda5.

jandree22 said:
Nice! Do you find that it gets in the way of your rearview mirror when folded down? I'm getting the same thing, OEM in my Mazda5.

Actually we've had flip down monitors in our 2 previous MDX's, so we're quite used to it. The unit we chose from Audiovox was $849.00 installed, with a 10 inch screen, wireless headsets, remote, and FM modulator. Also some gaming and controllers thrown in. We're pleased with it so far.

Where was it installed at? And I guess they had no issues with the moonroof? What's your opinion of the Audiovox picture quality? The game controllers, is that for connecting a game, or does the Audiovox have games installed?

I think 8" is around the size I'm looking for. Thanks for the pic.

Kid Red said:
Where was it installed at? And I guess they had no issues with the moonroof? What's your opinion of the Audiovox picture quality? The game controllers, is that for connecting a game, or does the Audiovox have games installed?

I think 8" is around the size I'm looking for. Thanks for the pic.

Installed at Autotruck Outfitters here in Southeastern PA. Games are pre-installed into unit. No issues with moonroof at all. Plays through car stereo using FM modulator. Haven't tried games yet, but we're traveling to Florida in two weeks. Report back on that later! I'm hoping for good gas mileage, even though we only have 400 miles on the clock!

Gerry

Drive safe and take care of her on I-95. That road is insane until you get down through Richmond (nailbyt)

jandree22 said:
Drive safe and take care of her on I-95. That road is insane until you get down through Richmond (nailbyt)

INSANELY CONGESTED i PRESUME? Thanks for the tip, it'll be my first ever long road trip. We're taking two cars, with 9 people

Becareful when you're crusing around DC. They're doing work on the Wilson Bridge. Here is a link for you to check for lane closures.

http://www.wilsonbridge.com/cms/cms-conditions-lc.htm

There have been miles of backup on the weekends due to the construction over the past couple of years. But they finally opened the new bridge span a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully, it won't impact your trip.

5-4-fighting said:
Installed at Autotruck Outfitters here in Southeastern PA. Games are pre-installed into unit. No issues with moonroof at all. Plays through car stereo using FM modulator. Haven't tried games yet, but we're traveling to Florida in two weeks. Report back on that later! I'm hoping for good gas mileage, even though we only have 400 miles on the clock!

Gerry

What model? I didn't know Audiovox had game units.

For good gas milage, the trick is 70 mph. The more over 70 you go, the lesser the good mph you'll get. I recently drove 250 miles and only got around 22-23mpg doing 80-85mph but had gotten closer to 27mpg when doing closer to 70mph.

5-4-fighting said:
INSANELY CONGESTED i PRESUME? Thanks for the tip, it'll be my first ever long road trip. We're taking two cars, with 9 people
DC to Richmond, in my opinion, is the worst stretch. It can get very conjested and there are some pretty aggressive drivers. I remember one year the traffic kept coming to a complete standstill or a crawl for 15 minutes, of course expecting there would be an accident or construction up ahead... nope, just conjestion. Baltimore to DC isn't quite as bad, but isn't a walk in the park either. Don't get me wrong, it's not a suicide mission, but just stay alert, drive defensively and you'll be fine.

On the other hand, once you're past Richmond, especially through the Carolina and Georgia, it's clear sailing... just set your cruise and relax. :)

Oh, and get ready for "South of the Border"!!! lol, all I'll say is yes it's a tourist trap that you can buy all sorts of naughty fireworks at, and that you'll get completely sick of it even if you don't stop. Say hi to Pedro for me! haha

Have fun :D

Last edited:
Back