Questions on BOV

mrmister

:
06 Whitewater Pearl MS6 GT
I just got the MS6 about four weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I'm already planning on adding a BOV and a CAI. I just wanted to know the pros and cons of running the BOV in recirculation mode and also in VTA mode. I've heard that in VTA mode, it can make the engine run rich for a short period of time. Can this harm the engine at all? Also, in recirculation mode, where is it recirculating the pressure to?

Thanks in advance

mrmister said:
I just got the MS6 about four weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I'm already planning on adding a BOV and a CAI. I just wanted to know the pros and cons of running the BOV in recirculation mode and also in VTA mode. I've heard that in VTA mode, it can make the engine run rich for a short period of time. Can this harm the engine at all? Also, in recirculation mode, where is it recirculating the pressure to?

Thanks in advance

Hello and welcome to the forums, running really rich for long periods of time can cause unburned fuel to deteriorate your cats and can foul out plugs and O2 sensors, not to mention the extra gas waisted. This is an extreme circumstance. If it is just running rich breifly it is better to have that than to run lean ever. I have a MSProtege and we were recirc at first. When I went VTA my car seems to drive smoother and I don't have as much compressor surge. On the MSP the extra air when back throught the intake charge before the turbo but after the MAF. Hope this helps a little.

yea he hit it right on the money...i noticed in VTA the shifting was quicker, lack of better word. like the rpms didnt stay spun up when i push the clutch in...they would fall down quicker so i shift quicker...i like it alot. what BOV are you thinking about getting? i have the HKS SSQV.

Yeah, I was definitely thinking about getting the HKS SSQV. It looks like the best one. I was thinking of buying the kit through CP-E, since they seem like a good company.

Also, since you have the choice of putting it in VTA or recirculation, why would you use recirculation? What things make recirculation better than VTA?

Thanks again for your help

VTA you run a lil rich when you shift or let off of throttle quickly, and you get a better sound. Recirc, some people say you get a lil better gas mileage, dunno if true, and you dont run rich. its like running stock but with a more efficient bov. i got mine as the CP-E kit but i went through www.therpmstore.com it was 282.92, free shipping.

HKS SSQ HERE TOO!!! Sounds really mean under higher boost

It all sounds good so far. One other question. Would running the HKS SSQV in VTA cause any damage to the engine over a long period of time? From what it sounds like, it can only cause a problem if you run rich for extended periods of time.

AWD6 said:
yea he hit it right on the money...i noticed in VTA the shifting was quicker, lack of better word. like the rpms didnt stay spun up when i push the clutch in...they would fall down quicker so i shift quicker...i like it alot. what BOV are you thinking about getting? i have the HKS SSQV.

I agree, it runs better! I have the HKS SSQV also. Actually, that momentarly richness helps to cool the combustion chamber (as opposite as to have hot air recirc.), it's very brief anyways.

Let me clarify a bit here. Basically, if you have a VTA valve after the MAF, the MAF sensor sees all this air coming in and so it adds fuel. But the BOV releases it before it gets to the engine. SO now, you have lots of fuel, but all the air that the MAF accounted for has been vented. So you run rich for that brief period, and in some cases your car wil lstall out. (MSP's have a habit of doing that.) With a recirc valve, the air is put back into the intake stream, so that the car doesn't stall, since the air will be present to compensate for the large amount of fuel.

My MSP doesn't stall at all!! Even if I try! Thanks to the fact that I have the old style SSQV BOV with the adjusting screw ;)

(nana) the question is; do any of you who have a bov with recirc.get a check engine light? and is the bov louder to here,cause i have a short intake that make a whooooshing sound already.. but not that loud.

If you have a recirc Blow-Off, it will be fairly quiet. If you want loud, run a VTA valve along with your factory BPV.

or if you have a MSP you can move the MAF to the Throttle body side and not have to recirc. DOn't know if thats possible on the MS6

i have a greddy bov full vent and it sounds pretty good. i do through a cel only because it doesnt read that air that the bov sends out.

fellowkillla said:
(nana) the question is; do any of you who have a bov with recirc.get a check engine light? and is the bov louder to here,cause i have a short intake that make a whooooshing sound already.. but not that loud.

I ran VTA for about 1500 miles and never had a check engine light.

mig said:
i have a greddy bov full vent and it sounds pretty good. i do through a cel only because it doesnt read that air that the bov sends out.
The Greddy RS right?? I'm more interested in the Greddy Type S can we install that on the MS6 because i havent heard anything about that BOV on the car yet

Back