mazda added protection YES or NO ?

Thom_y

Well I decided to buy my CX-7 (AWD, GT, fully loaded incl. NAV package) and now I have to decide should I purchase Mazda Added Protection (Canada). While I have up until the expiration to buy it, if I buy now I avoid the admin. fees to buy it 3 years from now. I tend to keep a vehicle past it's factory warranty, so I am considering at least 5 year protection, but don't know whether it's worth the investment. Especially, as I don't know what to expect with this vehicle and its reliability etc.

Thom_y said:
Well I decided to buy my CX-7 (AWD, GT, fully loaded incl. NAV package) and now I have to decide should I purchase Mazda Added Protection (Canada). While I have up until the expiration to buy it, if I buy now I avoid the admin. fees to buy it 3 years from now. I tend to keep a vehicle past it's factory warranty, so I am considering at least 5 year protection, but don't know whether it's worth the investment. Especially, as I don't know what to expect with this vehicle and its reliability etc.

For a first year car/turbo engine and AWD, I'd definitely go for it!

Thom_y said:

Is this a service contract (like an extended warantyor something)? In that case it's not coming from Mazda but from a third party. Waranties always come included in the purchase from the factory. I don't think Mazda would offer a plan like that. Also, is that 5 years after the 3 years of the factory waranty? I am willing to bet that its for 5 years from the date of purchase, thus you only get 2 years of the service contract. Even though the car is new and anything can happen, I would personally forego this service contract. Its nothing more than extra income for the dealer.

I had an extended warranty plan i purchased from the dealer on my truck, supposedly covered to 100k miles. When the transfer case for the 4 wheel drive broke at 65k they said it wasn't covered because it was abused. My grandma had the same thing happen with the motor in her MVP, at 90K and they refused the claim because the vehicle was misused. Seriously, do they think my grandma was taking her MVP to the track or street racing or off roading? all of her maintenance was done on time by the dealer and they still refuse to pay for it.

warranty??

My husband has purchased the warranty a few times.....never used it but you do get money back if you don't carry it the full term...ie. you sell or trade in your car. It's up to you.....if you have the money to spare I'd say go ahead, but it does benefit the dealer more than the buyer....most cars are pretty reliable for at least 3 years or so and most of it is covered under the regular warranty anyway. I have had 2 Mazda's and both were first model years(Protege 5 and RX 8) Never needed an extended warranty(I keep my cars 2-4 years max though) Congrats on the CX 7. I hope to get one in the early fall.

My general rule of thumb is:

If I can't break it in 50k, I can keep it together untill I trade it.

It's similar to the quandary I find myself in with regards to my dealer's so-called Advantage Maintenance Program. I must get all the service done there, and he will give "free" oil changes at 3k miles. This plays havoc with the manufacturer's service schedule.

Maintenance schedule 1 calls for oil and filter at 7.5k miles. Schedule 2 calls for 5k intervals. If I do the dealer's schedule I'm somewhere in no-mans land. But then I must drive 70 miles each way to the dealer. He includes a loaner, but then if I return, then I've done 280 miles to get an oil change (140 of which are on my car)?????

But Wait !!!!

He gives free tire replacement after a minimum of 27k.

Makes you wonder what all the dealer wants to do to your car while he has it - He's gonna make some money in there somewhere!

cruzdreamer said:
My husband has purchased the warranty a few times.....never used it but you do get money back if you don't carry it the full term...ie. you sell or trade in your car. It's up to you.....if you have the money to spare I'd say go ahead, but it does benefit the dealer more than the buyer....most cars are pretty reliable for at least 3 years or so and most of it is covered under the regular warranty anyway. I have had 2 Mazda's and both were first model years(Protege 5 and RX 8) Never needed an extended warranty(I keep my cars 2-4 years max though) Congrats on the CX 7. I hope to get one in the early fall.

your protege5 wasn't first model year. They came out around the world in 1998 at the same time the sedan was released.

Back