CX-7 sunroof controls

stangmatt66

:
2004 Mazda RX-8 & 2005 Toyota Prius
For those who have seen the CX-7 interior up close and personal. Does the CX-7 use the 2 rocker-switch arrangement from the RX-8 for the moonroof? I really hope Mazda figured out how to make it function with one button.

i'd be impressed if they did. my protege5 had the dual rocker switch as does our mazda5. i'd be willing to bet that as a cost saving feature it would probably have the dual rockers as well, which is sad, because the our 1988 volvo has a single switch for tilt and open/close.

mountjonas said:
i'd be impressed if they did. my protege5 had the dual rocker switch as does our mazda5. i'd be willing to bet that as a cost saving feature it would probably have the dual rockers as well, which is sad, because the our 1988 volvo has a single switch for tilt and open/close.

Dang, I really hope they figured it out. My Golf 1.8t had VW/Audi's rotary dial. That was an awesome way to open and close the roof. It was fully auto, just twist the dial to the desired position and the roof would open or close automatically.

stangmatt66 said:
Dang, I really hope they figured it out. My Golf 1.8t had VW/Audi's rotary dial. That was an awesome way to open and close the roof. It was fully auto, just twist the dial to the desired position and the roof would open or close automatically.

yeah, i loved my friend's gti moonroof controls. super easy. you wan't it halfway open? turn the knob half way. no waiting with your finger on the button.

It's two switches. One is auto open, auto close. The other controls the tilt. I never actually tilt, so I'm not sure if you have to hold it down or not.

Oh, and just as an aside, both the driver and front passenger windows are auto open, auto close (at least from the driver controls). The rear windows you have to hold the switch down to open or close, but they roll down all the way, not just half way.

080669 said:
It's two switches. One is auto open, auto close. The other controls the tilt. I never actually tilt, so I'm not sure if you have to hold it down or not.

Oh, and just as an aside, both the driver and front passenger windows are auto open, auto close (at least from the driver controls). The rear windows you have to hold the switch down to open or close, but they roll down all the way, not just half way.

Exactly right, and both the tilt and open are auto. Very nice feature actually. All of my previous cars have been auto open, but the close feature you had to hold the button.
Kudos to Mazda for having the rear windows go down fully. Hate that pc crap where the rear windows only go 1/2 way.

Well at least they made them both auto. I guess that's a step in the right direction.

I just doublechecked at lunch. The sunroof is auto-open/auto-close. The tilt, however, appears only to be auto-open. I had to hold the button to "un-tilt".

The sunroof seems to be pretty quiet when opened, though I don't have much experience with other make/models.

I love driving with all the windows and sunroof open, but given the whole "best in class aerodynamics" we've heard about, I don't want to kill the aerodynamics and thus the mpg. Is it less efficient running the AC? or driving with the windows down?

080669 said:
Is it less efficient running the AC? or driving with the windows down?

At highway speeds it's more efficient to keep the windows closed and run the A/C. Driving around town it's the opposite.

On a hot day, when you get to the CX-7, hold the driver door handle (without opening the door yet) and hold down the unlock button on the key remote, and the front windows and sunroof will open to give a cooldown before you get in.

G-Papi said:
On a hot day, when you get to the CX-7, hold the driver door handle (without opening the door yet) and hold down the unlock button on the key remote, and the front windows and sunroof will open to give a cooldown before you get in.

Great feature! I'm glad to see more car makers finally offering this. Amazing what an extra line or two of code can do.

G-Papi said:

Great tip, would never have known that!
Found on mine, you don't need to hold the door handle. Simply holding down the unlock button for a few seconds causes the sunroof and front windows to open.

G-Papi said:

...or you could just open the door and wait. I don't see what the difference is. If it's hot outside, then chances are it's going to be hot inside. Just get in and turn on the A/C.

Back