Buying New Mazda 5 Next Week - Advice?

goodguy

Picking up a new Mazda 5 next week. In reading this and other forums, I gather there are/were some issues to look out for an the 5. Since any small power I have with the dealer will be gone once I buy it - what would you check for, negotiate in or change PRIOR to taking delivery?

Also, what would you change/add/do differently on your purchase (i.e. Free Oil Changes, buy bumper cover, leave off side sill extensions, etc - anything)?

Problem areas to check?
Tires/Alignment - It seems many posts have been related to shaking at certian speeds and terrible OEM tires. What should I look out/test for on the 5?

Rattles/Noises - Are there particular areas of concern here or is this just a personal bugaboo thing? (i.e - window seals, suspension bushing creaks, a/c noises)?

TSB's/Recalls - Should I try to ensure all areas of concern were already taken care of before taking delivery (i.e. - engine mount TSB, recall) What is your advice/experience in this area?

Anything else that you would check for/insist on/add on?

Thanks in advance for your insight. - I realize this bridges both the appearance and problems formus but did not want to post twice.

Last edited:
Congrats... just take possession of you new car and let yourself experience the pleasure of owning a Mazda 5...

Once you have had some seat time and have any questions please yell and we can help.....

One thing I'll say is that EVERY owner of a new car, enthusiasts anyways, complain about OEM tires. That doesn't mean they're necessarily the worst, but some people like to change them out to better suit their needs (either more performance or more all-season).

And as far as rattles, while it seems like the 5 has some, it seems like it much less than what Honda's been putting out lately... if that means anything to you. Every car, (unless you're talking BWM, Audi, Mercedes) should be expected to have some minor rattles as being normal. My Sunfire (of course) has 'em, and so does my wife's 2 year old Toyota Solara. They're annoying, but not necessarily a sign of poor workmanship.

Good luck!

And keep in mind that you've got a bumper to bumper warranty on the 5 for the next 4yrs/50,000 miles.

You can always take it back and have the dealer fix it.

:)

goodguy said:
Picking up a new Mazda 5 next week. In reading this and other forums, I gather there are/were some issues to look out for an the 5. Since any small power I have with the dealer will be gone once I buy it - what would you check for, negotiate in or change PRIOR to taking delivery?

Also, what would you change/add/do differently on your purchase (i.e. Free Oil Changes, buy bumper cover, leave off side sill extensions, etc - anything)?

Problem areas to check?
Tires/Alignment - It seems many posts have been related to shaking at certian speeds and terrible OEM tires. What should I look out/test for on the 5?

Rattles/Noises - Are there particular areas of concern here or is this just a personal bugaboo thing? (i.e - window seals, suspension bushing creaks, a/c noises)?

TSB's/Recalls - Should I try to ensure all areas of concern were already taken care of before taking delivery (i.e. - engine mount TSB, recall) What is your advice/experience in this area?

Thanks in advance for your insight. - I realize this bridges both the appearance and problems formus but did not want to post twice.

Thanks guys - I consider myself to be pretty easygoing when it comes to cars - you're right - they all have rattles and squeaks.

Regarding taking ti back to the dealer - I want to buy from a dealer about 30 minutes away -BUT- want to have services closer to home - any issues you guys see with that? I know some dealers can be less than helpful if they find out you bought somewhere else.

heya good

Doesn't matter where you purchase and service your car in my neck of the woods,,,,,, it is a mazda product no matter where it was purchased. JMO

goodguy said:
Thanks guys - I consider myself to be pretty easygoing when it comes to cars - you're right - they all have rattles and squeaks.

Regarding taking ti back to the dealer - I want to buy from a dealer about 30 minutes away -BUT- want to have services closer to home - any issues you guys see with that? I know some dealers can be less than helpful if they find out you bought somewhere else.

Just don't take it to Jiffy Lube, lol. Anywhere you take it, make sure you are there to watch that scum work on your car.

Look for rusty hub just south of the rotors. Seriously bad on my new one 190mi. I'd definately get the rear step guard for the hatch. Also the stock floormats are junk get the all weather ones!

goodguy said:

Problem areas to check?

Check for the following:
1. Suspension. Drive them slowly over speed bumps but do it so the suspension has enough vertical action. Listen for squeaks, groans, grating noises there.

2. Start the car and see if it shakes when cranking up.

3. Drive through a quiet neighborhood and listen for a noticeable engine whine.

4. Check if the car tracks straight.

5. Run both the airconditioner and heater and see if it's cold or hot enough for you.

Back