CX-7 Bad Timing?

goodguy

Not to say anything bad about the Cx-7 but isn't it a saturated segment the CX-7 (and CX-9) are coming into? While they are nice cars - they are pretty plain and standard looking designs. I'm sure they are great and Mazda lovers will snatch them up but as a new Mazda convert - I really do not see the draw they are supposed to create.
Off the top of my head I can name about 12 competing vehicles to the Cx-7 alone (and probably more). While I am sure they are respectable in their class - are the best move for Mazda right now? Necessary - yes. Compelling ???
Now one thing I think Mazda could have done which would have gone a long way to differentiating it in the market is to bring the 2007 MPV (from Japan) to the US. See this link and tell me this wouldnt sell well with all people looking to get out of clunky SUV's but still need practicality.

http://www.mpv.mazda.co.jp/

With the smaller minivan market ripe for the taking they are missing a huge opportunity. All minvans have been going larger (i.e. Honda) but families are trying to be more efficient.
Bring it here Mazda and I would buy one in an instant.

mpv 2007 does look hot.but the cx-7 is def somethin will go after.the only thing i could see why people wouldnt want it is that its probably a gas guzzler seein as it has a turbo

Even with gas being over 3 bucks people seem to not want to let go of gas guzzlers. Not to say the CX-7 is a gas hog but i'd rather take a small car that got great mileage over a bigger suv type vehicle unless i really needed an SUV.

goodguy said:
Now one thing I think Mazda could have done which would have gone a long way to differentiating it in the market is to bring the 2007 MPV (from Japan) to the US. See this link and tell me this wouldnt sell well with all people looking to get out of clunky SUV's but still need practicality.

With the smaller minivan market ripe for the taking they are missing a huge opportunity. All minvans have been going larger (i.e. Honda) but families are trying to be more efficient.

The previous version of MPV is the one Mazda should have stuck with, it had 4WD, 4 doors and was an excellent cross between the SUV and minivan, I had 2 of them. They had automatically adjusting rear shocks for towing, and were rear wheel drive(the 2WD version), which also helps for towing. Mazda just needed to add/modify the interior with the cupholders, fold down seats , and other interior amenities you find in newer vehicles, etc. Mazda never marketed that vehicle properly. The Mazda dealer I have purchased 8 vehicles from tells me even now they rarely find someone come in and want to trade the previous version MPV. They usually drive until VERY high mileage, and then they end up on the low-life used car lots. For some reason after I hit the page you are linking to for the new Japan MPV, I cannot load any of the subsequent links to the details of the vehicle, but will keep trying.

goodguy said:
Not to say anything bad about the Cx-7 but isn't it a saturated segment the CX-7 (and CX-9) are coming into? While they are nice cars - they are pretty plain and standard looking designs. I'm sure they are great and Mazda lovers will snatch them up but as a new Mazda convert - I really do not see the draw they are supposed to create.
Off the top of my head I can name about 12 competing vehicles to the Cx-7 alone (and probably more). While I am sure they are respectable in their class - are the best move for Mazda right now? Necessary - yes. Compelling ???

I'll agree, that's one fine minivan. I especially like the second row "Business Class" type seats. I've often wondered why car makers did not offer this type of seating in vans. This van seems much nicer than the Mazda 5 sold here.

I'm the market for the CX-7

I had a Mazda RX-3 in 1973. It was a good car for the time, it was small, fast and used too much gas. I sold it in 1976 and have not looked at a Mazda since. I have recently had two Subaru Legacy wagons and am looking for a replacement. The CX-7 will probably be the replacement. Why? Because it looks fabulous! It has a better design inside and out than anything Honda or BMW; it has enough room for my wife, myself, our two Corgis and stuff. It will accomodate a roof rack to carry bikes and other stuff. The point of the turbo charged 4 is better gas mileage and more power than a V-6. I haven't driven it yet but that is supposed to be the real icing on the cake. From reports I've read, the CX-7 has cornering abilities only surpassed by the MINI Cooper S, Corvettes and more expensive sports cars. I don't like SUV's or minivans. I do like sport wagons, g-forces and good acceleration. I need space to carry stuff and the dogs, the CX-7 looks like it will take care of me.

I think it gives us the best of both worlds. If you drive it calm & smart it will give you good fuel economy. If you drive it hard it will give you grate fun shore it will use more fuel that way any car needs fuel to go fast but not all cars can give good fuel economy when we want it! plus it can carry way more than any sports sedan!

Back