An eye opener! SUV vs Mazda 5 gas cost.

goodguy

When shopping for new cars - the MPG ratings may not seem like a big difference. 18 or 22 don't seem that far apart do they? I guess I never sat down and figured it out over the long haul but MAN what a difference a few MFG makes to the pocketbook.

Just a $ comparison to the Jeep Commander I was GOING to get (before I saw the 5):
At 16 MPG (Commander), 15K Mi Yr = 937.5 Gals per Year X 2.90 Per Gal = $2718.75 per year (gas only).
At 24 MPG (Mazda 5), 15K Mi Yr = 625 Gals per Year x 2.90 Per Gal = $1812.50 per year (gas only).
-OR-
A savings (gas ONLY - not to mention +$10K MSRP, Insurance, etc) of $5437.50 over six years going with the M5.
Add in $10K MSRP, Extra Insurance, Finance Charges, Maintenance.
And I ask you:
Who would pay approx $17K more for a typical SUV (Commander) than a Mazda 5. I think my kids can b**** about the tight third seat (on the M5) but at least they will have college tuition all set. Or maybe buy two M5's for the price of one Jeep. I don't care how rich you may be (or think you are), it is just plain dumb to pay almost twice as much for a slightly larger car (assuming you are not towing, offroading - which, let's face it most soccer moms driving expeditions are not doing).

The only thing I can see paying extra for is the (perceived or real) safety that might come with driving a larger vehicle. My fear is: with so many LARGE SUV's out there, people driving them think they are invincible and drive a bit more carelessly putting smaller vehicles at risk. Like the old school hockey players say about wearing facmasks/visors/helmets - when you think YOU yourself can't be hurt, you don't learn the control that keeps you from hurting others. What are your thoughts?

+1 to everything you just said

I'm sick of the Hummer/Jeep/SUV craze in this country. Thankfully, those rich oil bastards seem to be putting an end to it. (lol2)

jandree22 said:
+1 to everything you just said

I'm sick of the Hummer/Jeep/SUV craze in this country. Thankfully, those rich oil bastards seem to be putting an end to it. (lol2)

Funny thing is hwo quickly we can see the error of our ways. I was a Hummer wannabee when tehy first came out but now look at them and laugh.

The H3 looks so poorly designed and pasted together with screwy lines, stupif looking wheel wells, bump outs, etc. it is gaudy actually.

Thank GOD I didn;t have the financial wherewithal at the time to get one.
I would have probably never discovered the Mazda 5 and you fine folks.

I would be on a Hummer forum bitching about 12 MPG but justifying it with "well at least i might survive an accident with an excursion".

what sucks is that some people (albeit a minimal portion of the population) needs the room of a full size SUV/Truck

hate the mileage of my f150 or my parents old tahoe, wish there was something I could do about it but converting to diesel and running bio diesel seems to be the only answer since anything big enough to be roomy and comfortable for me, gets bad ass mileage

slug420 said:
what sucks is that some people (albeit a minimal portion of the population) needs the room of a full size SUV/Truck
...and that's completely fine. That's what they're made for. It's these airheads that buy 'em to haul nothing but themselves and a $10 Starbucks super-mocha-frappo-latte to get some kind of ego boost or something.

I can't believe how steadfast the big three have been with advertising the Tahoe/Suburban, Explorer, and Durango. I also can't believe how steadfast they've been with continuing to build these plain Jane SUV's who's concept is as old as dirt by now. Bill Ford is a boldface liar in his commercial about Ford's commitment to innovation, bleck... shut up already, seriously. (and if I have to listen to Kelly Clarkson sing in that flippin Ford commercial just one more time, &%^#$!!!)

well, if you need the space of a bigger car, then you need the space. No problem to get what you need, but then dont whine about having to pay for it as well. What I needed was the 5 and I was lucky it had just come out when I went looking for a new car!

As far as safety, the 5 continues to get fantastic safety test results. I'm very happy with that.

There are things they could do to make it even better, like traction control, 4WD, stability control, etc. And I'm sure they will do that as things go forward. for now the excellent handling capabilities will help me avoid having to use all those fancy airbags that it has, but it's still nice to know they are in there.

X10James said:
well, if you need the space of a bigger car, then you need the space. No problem to get what you need, but then dont whine about having to pay for it as well. What I needed was the 5 and I was lucky it had just come out when I went looking for a new car!

As far as safety, the 5 continues to get fantastic safety test results. I'm very happy with that.

There are things they could do to make it even better, like traction control, 4WD, stability control, etc. And I'm sure they will do that as things go forward. for now the excellent handling capabilities will help me avoid having to use all those fancy airbags that it has, but it's still nice to know they are in there.

I must admit - the new GM Tahoe, Yukon and Avalanche look MUCH better and even look refined for a truck. But as soon as I get into one (while nice) can't get over how much "Lazy Boy" style they put into these. Large, puffy, wrinkled leather seats (aka Honda ODY). At least the newer GM's are getting more refined inside. But there is so much personal space in there - huge console, etc. that it always makes me crave something more efficiently designed.

I used to drive a Yukon Denali and while nice, I found myself wondering why I had to haul around all the bulk, weight, space when mostly driving one person. So when I see a Woman (Men too) tooling around on errands in the Expedition I think: 1) I hope she stops jabbering on the cell and dosen't run me over 2) What a load of metal to haul around town.

So I have my VERY practical (and very expensive to fix) 02' VW Eurovan "go on a trip" vehicle (simple, efficient, spacious, and refined but without the fake wood and chrome BS on so many "check me out" psuedo luxury vehicles) and am getting the Mazda 5 for the around town family vehicle (maybe "in a pinch" vacation car).

On a side note: Don't mean to sound chauvinistic but it seems that Women "TEND" to be concentrating on future things (errands, to do's, work, etc) while driving and seem to assume nothing bad will happen. While Men are a bit more "in the moment"/defensive while driving - but that also makes men a bit more aggressive as drivers. Women seem to stare straight ahead while driving - Men are trying to see who is checking out their ride while driving (this has the fortunate side effect of looking around and noticing potential dangers). Of course, this is not to say there aren't GOOD men AND women drivers. Just my, obviously biased and "tounge in cheek" observation. (lol...)

Back