CX-7 stubby installed!

Benfolio

:
06 Mazda 5 - '01 P71
Looks rather nice. Thought it wouldn't work since the base of this antenna is smaller in diameter than the 5's stock antenna, but when tightened down it flared out nicely, and looks tons better. Radio reception hasn't changed, and at less than $20, it was a great upgrade.
P.S. check out the tint :)

Attachments

• Img_2530.jpg
    Img_2530.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 924
  • Img_2531.jpg
    Img_2531.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 700
  • Img_2533.jpg
    Img_2533.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 1,006
Very nice!!! You said less than $20.00??? May I ask how much the stubby ran you at the dealership??? :D

I'm taking my 5 in for its first oil change this weekend, and I'd love to pick one up while I'm there :D

looks great Ben! I wasn't going to do this, but for $20 it looks really nice.

What tint percentages are you sportin?

How well does the original antenna hold up to automatic car washes?
Is the stubby, or the original better for going through a wash facility?
My VW Eurovan (fixed antenna) got snapped off (my fault for not retracting it) last time I went through. Not a big deal but a pain the the ass.
I was wondering if there is anything to worry about (i.e. - snags, pulls, damage) with the 5 antenna. Would hate to have to remove one each car wash - because I know I would forget.

Kid Red said:
The OEM needs to be removed before a car wash, it's like 2 feet long.

That sucks - what about the Stubby - removed or not?

Why wouldn't Mazda just do an "in the window" antenna (like the rear quarter ala Pacifica and others)? I know the thing looks "cool" to a point but does it look cool enough to have to remove it everytime at the wash?

Maybe it is just me but I would defintely go brain dead and forget to remove it. And if you think the PHD's working the wash will remind you everytime - I think you may find a dangling wire hanging from your roof where your "cool" antenna once sat.

If I take my car to a car wash, I like to do it myself in one of the bays... That way I know I hit all the spots and there's no rough heavy machinery slappin the bajeezes out of my car! It would save your antenna, too.

Of course, the best way to do it is at home with a bucket and hose... but as an apartment renter, I know that's not always possible.

The stubbly looks great. I should have waited and bought that. Insted, I have the shark fin antenna. I have not had any problems running it through the carwash...

Benfolio- So can you tell us the length in inches? My stubby is just under 4" but I think another inch or two would help more with reception.

I never measured it.... whoops. And the car's at home, I'm at work.
And now they're on backorder until, like, August or some mess. :(
With my employee discount it came to just over $11, but they retail for $17.10. Part # EG23-66-A30

I saw a CX-7 yesterday (don't care for them) and saw the antenna. It's maybe 8-10 inches long, so longer then the tiny stubby antennas (like what I have) but not too long. I may have to get one as it may improve FM reception slightly.

Can this be ordered from any Mazda place? Online?

Yes, it's a Mazda part so any Mazda dealership in the Canada or US can order it.

The problem is, like Benfolio mentions, the CX-7 stubby is on massive backorder right now because people have discovered that it fits all new-gen Mazda's with roof antenna's (e.g. Mazda3/5/6, and I believe MX-5 fits too). Just one dealership here in Toronto has sold or on waiting list 30+ CX-7 stubby antennas.

Also, the CX-7 is obviously new, so parts for it more scarce.

And yes, around $20 or so, so cheap mod (another reason so high demand)

Is it still flexible? Likely less flexible than the longer version we have but does it have some give in the event it gets hit?

I checked both antenna and I think the Mazda 5 orignal antenna is more flexible.... lets not forget the CX7 antenna attachment is not the highest point on the car as it is on the Mazda 5..... JMO

mazdaFIVEmike said:
Is it still flexible? Likely less flexible than the longer version we have but does it have some give in the event it gets hit?

Exactly, the CX-7 stubby is not as flexible as the OEM Mazda5 one, but the CX-7 one does flex so the antenna will give in of it gets hit (as opposed to taking off the entire base). One can flex the CX-7 stubby with a finger.

Sounds stupid but I think of flexability if someone was backing up and hit the antenna.... I think the CX7 antenna on the 5 would cause more damage that is all. IF you hit the antenna driving the CX7 backwards you will also hit the roof...

I was thinking more about the roof top cargo box I have. I know it will definitely hit the OEM Mazda5 antenna but may just miss or just touch the CX7 antenna... I dunno, just trying to figure it out before ordering one.

Latest posts

Back