iPod connection on CX-7

Thom_y

Has anyone installed a iPod input into the factory installed AM/FM/CD Bose system that comes with the Luxury Package. I realize Mazda does not have any factor or dealer installed iPod integration. But, I was wondering if the radio can have a hard wired iPod input installed by a car radio dealer, without changing the head unit. My dealer thought this could be arranged easily. As well, I want to avoid FM modulator set up and want to get an iPod cable with dock connector, which will directly input into radio and also allow you to charge the iPod.

Thank you.

Thom_y said:
want... an iPod cable with dock connector, which will directly input into radio and also allow you to charge the iPod.

Got this from another board.

There are two AXU input devices on the market for the Mazda radios that I am aware of. One just adds AUX input with no ability to change chanels on steering wheel (only volume) Other device is designed for ipod with built in charger and full function including display on dash LED screen. Hope these can work for the CX-7
AuxMod
Audio Link

I have the Nav system, and sent emails to both of these groups. AuxMod said they thought it would work, but it doesn't charge the iPod. The AudioLink guys sounded more knowledgable, and they said they weren't sure whether it would work or not. They asked for the model # or pics of the connections on the back, but I'm not the kind of guy to take apart my dash, so I'm waiting for someone else to do it. :)

If you find an ipod solution, let me know about it. I think the only difference between our systems is that I have the nav system and you don't.

I checked with the Audio Link guys and they highly doubt the kit is compatible with the CX-7 stereo system. In fact, I checked with a number of the aftermarket producers and none thought their system was compatible with the Mazda CX-7. Thus, I am desperate for an iPod solution for my new CX-7 with the AM/FM/CD Bose system with the NAV package, which should arrive any week now.

Any other advice. I don't want to consider FM modulators !

Thom_y said:
I checked with the Audio Link guys and they highly doubt the kit is compatible with the CX-7 stereo system. In fact, I checked with a number of the aftermarket producers and none thought their system was compatible with the Mazda CX-7. Thus, I am desperate for an iPod solution for my new CX-7 with the AM/FM/CD Bose system with the NAV package, which should arrive any week now.

Any other advice. I don't want to consider FM modulators !

I have an AudioLink in my Mazdaspeed6 and it works great. There are only a few downsides: No artist and song display on the stereo readout and the AudioLink connection for most of the Mazdas (Mazda6, Mazda5, tribute, MPV, Miata) uses the same pin connector for the satellite radio... bummer. Our CX-7 already has the Sat Radio so the AudioLink option is out...

The ideal solution would be a direct 1/8" jack on the stereo face that would utilize the Media button on the stereo.

Anyone get this to work in a CX7 yet? Im wasting away without my IPOD. I am forced to listen to... CDs??

Looks like it's finally coming. And from Apple no less. Can't get any better news than that.

Ford, GM, Mazda to see more iPod Integration

Apple has inked a deal with three major car manufacturers today to make it a bit easier to connect the iPod into car stereos. Apple has come to agreement with Ford, GM and Mazda to see that 70-percent of their 2007 model vehicles will offer some way of connecting iPods directly. The iPod integration seems to be as simple as a dock connection in the glove compartment. iPod control and navigation will be done through the already existing stereo controls. GM has already announced pricing regarding this issue. As early as October they will offer the iPod audio connection for $160 plus labor. I'll stick with my cheapy FM transmitter and 12V DC charger thank you very much. – Travis Hudson

Waiting...for integration too!

I have been waiting a response from a local service dealer before I purchase a CX-7. My wife has a beautiful sounding audio system in her 2004.5 S40 but it CANNOT adapt to iPods. I will not buy another vehicle with only FM modulation or no aftermarket radio availability so that clear auxiliary audio input (iPod) is achievable. With no response yet it does not look good! It is ashamed to lose the sale of a new designed vehicle in 2007 with this type of oversite.

This CX-7 is a nice vehicle still....I like to call it a SCUV Sports Car Utility Vehicle

But as posted before there is good news for Mazda today on this issue! http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ford-gm-mazda-to-offer-ipod-integration-in-2007-models/

Being the owner of the BEST iPod holder manufacture (THOUGHT OUT) I realize the need to integrate the iPod to your vehicles and other places for convenience and ease of use.

FlexPED is our universally installable and universally adaptable (including cased or skinned devices) iPod holder.

Send me an email at mike at thoughtout.biz with any questions.

~Mike
PostCard180x129.jpg

Well there is hope yet.

As many of you may have read, Apple announced Mazda will be coming out with iPod integration.

Mazda USA sent me the following info:

Mazda will be launching an iPod Integration Module
for the CX-7 and other ?07 models this fall. This module will connect
the iPod (placed in the glove box) to the audio head unit.

This module will

(a) Transfer iPod controls to the radio controls or to the steering
wheel controls

(b) Provide limited display of music info on the information center of
the dash

(c) Charge the battery of the iPod

Customers will be able to purchase the module and have it installed at
their Mazda dealership.

More info will be available closer to launch."

We have been informed that the iPod module will be able to be
retrofitted to those consumers that have already purchased a CX-7.

I CAN'T WAIT !!

Email or did they send you post letter mail? I need something a little more solid to make my $30,000 decision on.

And how MUCH will this cost? About the price of an iPod I suspect....what ever happened to just a simple line in? (K.I.S.S.)

Why would a company want to make change the user experience of a great product (iPod) with their own limited software "with a limited display"? I know, everyone will say for safety reason....please! We all know this is to make $150-$300 from an iPod accessory. Ha, I should talk being the owner of an iPod acessory company, right? But I do not believe in ripping the consumer by taking advantage of a situation. Some day it will be a free installation, then the iPod will be obsolete and live on demand files will be streamed to your vehicle via what is now called a cell phone (iPhone).

~Mike

Thom_y said:
As many of you may have read, Apple announced Mazda will be coming out with iPod integration.

Mazda USA sent me the following info:

Mazda will be launching an iPod Integration Module
for the CX-7 and other ?07 models this fall. This module will connect
the iPod (placed in the glove box) to the audio head unit.

This module will

(a) Transfer iPod controls to the radio controls or to the steering
wheel controls

(b) Provide limited display of music info on the information center of
the dash

(c) Charge the battery of the iPod

Customers will be able to purchase the module and have it installed at
their Mazda dealership.

More info will be available closer to launch."

We have been informed that the iPod module will be able to be
retrofitted to those consumers that have already purchased a CX-7.

I CAN'T WAIT !!

Last edited:
That sucks.... i decided against the NAV system last minute, so i guess I lucked out.. but im curious as to what limited stuff will be displayed on the dash.... Should be interesting.

Would this be a use for the mysterious "media" button? Any idea whether this can co-exist with Sirius?

Well as I said, and that is just terrible at $200. How do you know what you are playing? This is a quote from the Mazda public notice: "Operation must be done through the audio system, not using the iPod. Track information, such as the artist or album name is not displayed on the audio system."

JUST GIVE US A LINE IN!

THOUGHT OUT said:
Email or letter did they send you post mail? I need something a little more solid to make my $30,000 decision on.

And how MUCH will this cost? About the price of an iPod I suspect....what ever happened to just a simple line in? (K.I.S.S.)

Why would a company want to make change the user experience of a great product (iPod) with their own limited software "with a limited display"? I know, everyone will say for safety reason....please! We all know this is to make $150-$300 from an iPod accessory. Ha, I should talk being the owner of an iPod acessory company, right? But I do not believe in ripping the consumer by taking advantage of a situation. Some day it will be a free installation, then the iPod will be obsolete and live on demand files will be streamed to your vehicle via what is now called a cell phone (iPhone).

~Mike

It is either a POOR oversite on their part, or intentional to make $200 on an optional that is highly desired. I would guess it is to make $200!

the black one said:
Last weekend I looked new 2007 mazda3. It has the AUX outlet in golvebox.
that sux. I don't have AUX OUT on my 2007 cx7

Last edited:
As much as I love being a new owner of this vehicle, I am a bit irritated at the lack of iPod support for those of us who purchased the "Technology Package". You would *think* that having the word "technology" in its name would be a no-brainer that the customers of that package just MIGHT own some kind of .MP3 player - quite possibly the most-popular one on the market.

I mean, the nav is cool... but I really don't "need" it. It sucks to know that if I had stuck with the non-nav audio system, I'd be able to play my iPod without trouble.

I really, really, REALLY hope there is eithe a Mazda or after-market solution, otherwise I'm stuck with morning radio or CDs.

Speaking-of... What's the use of having a 6-disc player if it won't shuffle randomly amongst ALL of them...? I don't want to just shuffle ONE CD worth of music... I want to hear from all-6 of them.

Am I missing something...?

Oh - and "Hi!"... I'm new here. :)

. . .

Back