smallest rim to fit on a MS6?

Need to think about winter rims. I am hoping 16's fit. MAybe I can find someone with a Mazda6 getting rid of the 16's.

The stock Mazda6 17's fit. (From the sports). You'd really have to search for 16's that fit, the caliper/rotor in the front presents clearance issues with rims smaller then 17.

So if you're looking for el cheap winter rims, just buy some 6i/6s's old 17 alloy's.

Its about friggin' time Newf! Congratulations baby! Go with the 17" rims. I have 17" steelies. I had no problems this winter with them.

R

Rainman said:
Its about friggin' time Newf! Congratulations baby! Go with the 17" rims. I have 17" steelies. I had no problems this winter with them.

Here's a question... Perhaps I'm dumb... I understand about thinner tires being better in the snow, but why put smaller diameter rims on the car? I would probably know all this if I lived in Buffalo, NY, but I'm on Long Island where we don't get that much snow.

I'm looking at the finances and instead of getting the OEM winter "set" as was suggested by my Mazda dealer (for $1600), I'm thinking of just picking up some high-quality winter tires and having them mounted to the stock MS6 rims. I figure $200 a tire is quite a bit less than $200 a tire + $200 a rim?

Any physics-related reason why I wouldn't want to do this? Or is it more that people don't want to use their nice rims in the snow?

well, I always get winter rims. Saves my summers. Winters here would kill my summers if I didn't.

Second, I always drop usually 2"'s in diameter, and I do this because a 16" tire is a lot cheaper then a 18". You just need to make sure you get the right sidewall height to keep the overall diameter the same. I haven't checked yet, but I'm guessing 55 series if I go 16.

Also, it's better to have a taller tire for deep snow, not to mention better ride on winter roads which can be bumpy due to frost causing heaving which happens here a lot, ice built up on roads etc. Thinner tire is great to cut throw the snow of course, but you guys have an entirely different winter them we do up here so half of this doesn't matter.

17's will be my last resort. i am grabbing a 16 from the dealer to see if it clears the caliper. front brakes are bigger right? Haven't had time to check all these little details yet.

Rainman said:

R

I was waiting for rates to drop.. I got mine at 0.9% financing. Nothing wrong with that.

Newf said:
I was waiting for rates to drop.. I got mine at 0.9% financing. Nothing wrong with that.

Front discs and calipers are bigger yes. And no, NOTHING wrong with 0.9%. That is a whole 4.1% lower than me brother.

R

Latest posts

Back