Rear Bumper Cover Vinyl Strip

Zoom5Zoom

:
Mazda 5 GS 5MT
Heya

Didn't want to hide this bit of info in the trailer hitch section because it is useful to all. I have installed a 2.5 Inch strip of vinyl around my rear bumper cover. This addition was to help prevent major damage inserting our bike rake into the trailer hitch as it rests just under the rear bumper cover.

The strip of vinyl cost me about 30 bux canadian. Because the strip is the outter most edge where it was applied; I think it also prevents those little bugger scratches from those who want to use your bumper as a range marker to get out of a parking spot.

PS in the pic you will see a BUMPER STEP PLATE this helps reduce scratches while putting in and out stuff in the back

Enjoy

Attachments

• Full Bumper with Vynal.jpg
    Full Bumper with Vynal.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 794
  • Molding close up at hitch.jpg
    Molding close up at hitch.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 508
  • Corner Molding.jpg
    Corner Molding.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:
yeah the bumper step plate is great for those who actually USE the cargo area in the back ;)

the rear bumper on the 5 and the 3 stick out pretty car, so it's good to have something to protect it from stupid scratches

too bad mazda doesn't offer the chrome (look) one here in north america.. they sell those in europe and japan.... I rather have the choice of being to buy either that way one of them can match the body color better

lol what vinyl strip? that black thing at the bottom of the bumper? I didn't notice! looks stock!

Strip

Zoom5Zoom said:
nope its another cheap mod

Where did you get the strip ? As a side note , I got a strip of vinyl to go on the top of the bumper to protect it from the dogs claws ! It cost about $25.00 from a local print shop..I'll have to post oics of it as well.

TheMAN said:
why didn't you just buy the OEM bumper step plate? it's only 20 bucks

That doesn't go along the bottom edge of the bumper and wouldn't not help with a hitch and attching items to it.

Kid Red said:
That doesn't go along the bottom edge of the bumper and wouldn't not help with a hitch and attching items to it.

I think he was referring to the post about vinyl from the sign shop.

Zoom5Zoom said:
Red

The vinyl is a protector only when installing the hitch receiver into the hitch and secondly it will help any nudges from other cars in the parking lot..... how about in say 8 months we compare bumper covers and see what damage is present.

Dude, I was defending you ;)

ntron1 said:
I think he was referring to the post about vinyl from the sign shop.

He's suggesting a bumper plate on the top of the bumper whereas the poster placed a strip around the apex of the bumper which places it near his hitch and protects against rubbing/etc from attached items.

Let me clarify on the original posts. The factory bumper step cover only goes on the topside flat surface... the vinyl strip I put on, goes on the topside of the bumper and down the sides appx 3", giving more protection from my dogs claws.
I want to look into the strip Zoom5Zoom has put on his...for the trailer/bike hitch bumper protection.

Medicman Where did you get the vinyl strip? My dog's
are starting to mark the rear bumper when they get in and out.

Thanks
Robin

There is a bumper cover or step plate availible from your local Mazda Dealer. It is held by two way tape and you can install it yourself. I think it was 40 bux canadian bux.

Vinyl strip

I got my vinyl strip at the local sign company, I wanted something to wrap over the edge more than the factory piece would. I'll get a pic sometime.
I think it was 4 mill vinyl.

Good luck,

Medicman

TheMAN said:
why didn't you just buy the OEM bumper step plate? it's only 20 bucks
Any idea where I can get this for $20 bucks? Cheapest I can find the bumper step plate online is about $32 and the cheapest I can find the soft vinyl cover for the back floor is about $40. MazdaUSA.com lists both as $40 and $50 respectively.

Thanks

Medicman said:
I got my vinyl strip at the local sign company, I wanted something to wrap over the edge more than the factory piece would. I'll get a pic sometime.
I think it was 4 mill vinyl.

Good luck,

Medicman

Can you post info on the strip you purchased at your sign company?

Mmm, my 5 is in the garage for a car accident repair. I'll try to post one as soon as I get it back :).

Found one in another thread here:
w4.jpg

My 5 is also black, so it should look like this.

Last edited:
zr27 said:
Can you post info on the strip you purchased at your sign company?

We just cut a template out of paper, cut a duplicate from blk vinyl and carefully placed it on the bumper..
I will try get a pic soon !!

Back