Check engine light

Longhaul412

:
2007 CX-7
Well, after only 384 miles, my check engine light came on.
Was fine when I got home last night, but when I started her up this morning, the engine light wouldn't go out.
Drove up to the dealer's and dropped it off. Got a loaner from them, but it's nowhere near as nice as the CX-7.
All of the mechanics were asking how I liked it, and there was a couple in the parking lot asking about it, they were thinking of getting one as well.
Will keep you posted as I find out what the problem is.

BTW, got my first chance to evaluate gas mileage this morning as well, came out almost exactly 21mpg. Not too bad, about a 50/50 split city/hwy, and that includes I'm sure a little more "goosing" the gas than I normally do as I'm still trying to get the feel of the car.

Last edited:
Longhaul412 said:
Well, after only 384 miles, my check engine light came on.

Best of luck! I finally got mine last night, Black Cherry Mica AWD GT.

Let us know what the docs say.

Update on the check engine light.
First, gotta love my dealer, dropped it off about 7:30 this morning, got a loaner, and they called about 1:30 and said it was fixed.

Apparently it was a problem in the emmisions system. There is something called a leak detection pump that check the vehicle for exhaust system leaks, and this pump was indicating a leak. They tested the vehicle, could find no leaks, and determined the pump was faulty. Swapped it out for a new one, and I'm on my way to pick it up.

ATLMZ6 said:
Congrats on the CX-7! How strong does the motor feel to you?

I've got to admit I'm surprised by the motor. It is obviously not a big six or a small 8, so "strong" isn't exactly how I'd describe it. Quick is a better word. It lacks the raw power of a larger engine, but for a vehicle this size, it is amazingly zippy. Step on the throttle, and engine response is immediate. Once the turbocharger kicks in, you can definantly tell a difference.
I'm pleased with the engine, in this application, I think it works well. I might not set any new drag times, but from a light, I can get ahead of most traffic. At all speeds, the engine has surprised by 1st how quick it is to react to the throttle, and 2nd how well it manages the power that is available.
To date, I haven't had the feeling at all that I need any more that what the engine can give me. Mazda's done a great job with this one I think

Longhaul412 said:
"strong" isn't exactly how I'd describe it. Quick is a better word.

I definitely agree with you on this. I got my AWD GT Thursday night last week.

The only time the CX-7 feels underpowered to me is right off the line. However, I've been noticing that I'm way ahead of the pack after the light turns green. It's not like I'm trying to zip ahead of them... in fact, I'm trying to take it easy off the line, to get a smooth acceleration when the turbo kicks in. The CX-7 just starts going and accelerates strongly without little pauses or lurches for the gears to change.

On the interstate, I always have passing power whether I'm going 50 or 80. I can be passing someone at 80 when a little speed demon appears in the rear view mirror. No prob, I zip ahead till it's clear, change lanes, and let the guy behind me go on his merry way. The v6 Santa Fe I drove right before cruised powerfully at 80, but it definitely wasn't zipping ahead of anything at those speeds.

I keep reading how heavy the CX-7 is, but it just feels light to me. Whether accelerating from a complete stop, or cruising on the interstate, or taking the cloverleaf onramp (and ending up at interstate speeds)... it feels light. That's why I zip ahead when the light turns green... not because I'm trying to go super fast, but because the CX-7 doesn't feel bogged down by anything. On that cloverleaf onramp, the CX-7 feels much more sure-footed than the AWD Santa Fe, or AWD Escape... those felt ponderous, like when you hit the curve, it felt like you were going too fast. The CX-7, by contrast, feels like you'd be fine going faster. I don't really know how to explain it.

As I've driven the past 300 miles, it's started feeling better and better. I don't know if it's the engine breaking in, or my getting more accustomed to the feel...

Oh, about the lightness, one bad thing is the road texture and noise is more pronounced than it was before. There's a standard short cut I take that has 4 speed bumps (don't worry, i'm not plowing through a residential neighborhood, it's a business complex that makes a great short cut after hours), and I feel those speed bumps more than I did before. It's not wind noise... that's not bad at all. It's the road coming up through the tires.

My CX-7 has the Turanza's that tirerack reported as being crappy (and loud), so maybe that's part of it. I'll probably replace the tires in the autumn before snow comes around, not that we have to worry about that much in DC. But still.... why risk it?

Anyone have all weather tire recommendations? :)

Longhaul412 said:
Update on the check engine light.
First, gotta love my dealer, dropped it off about 7:30 this morning, got a loaner, and they called about 1:30 and said it was fixed.

Apparently it was a problem in the emmisions system. There is something called a leak detection pump that check the vehicle for exhaust system leaks, and this pump was indicating a leak. They tested the vehicle, could find no leaks, and determined the pump was faulty. Swapped it out for a new one, and I'm on my way to pick it up.

The check engine light came on at about 740 miles with my CX-7. Mazda also changed the leak detection pump to solve the problem. No problems so far so I'm hopeful that they fixed it.

cx7mom said:
The check engine light came on at about 740 miles with my CX-7. Mazda also changed the leak detection pump to solve the problem. No problems so far so I'm hopeful that they fixed it.

I've got about 1600 miles on mine now, and no further problems.
It is interesting though that we both had the exact issue, with both problems occuring at less than 1,000 miles.

Could be the start of an ongoing problem?
Definantly something for other CX-7 oweners to be aware of and on the lookout for. What are the odds with this few CX-7's out there that 2 would already have the same issue?
Hope Mazda is taking notice.

Longhaul412 said:
I've got about 1600 miles on mine now, and no further problems.
It is interesting though that we both had the exact issue, with both problems occuring at less than 1,000 miles.

Could be the start of an ongoing problem?
Definantly something for other CX-7 oweners to be aware of and on the lookout for. What are the odds with this few CX-7's out there that 2 would already have the same issue?
Hope Mazda is taking notice.

My feelings exactly......I'm sure more are going to surface. I'm glad to see that you're not having any more problems. I'll repost if the problem resurfaces.

Oops, got the Check Engine light at around 2000 miles. I'll do a night drop tonight, and hopefully tomorrow I can post an update.

Dude!! I got the same issue

(stfu) I only have about 27 miles on mine and the check engine also got activated. I'm taking my Cx7 back to the dealer tommorow for a check.

varek said:
(stfu) I only have about 27 miles on mine and the check engine also got activated. I'm taking my Cx7 back to the dealer tommorow for a check.

Tell him there've been two loose gas cap and two for leaky detection pumps.

Oh, and if you don't have Autolock turned on (only available if you have the little credit card remotes), you might want him to do that while you're hooked up to the computer. I think when you close the door, you hear one beep and it's primed. Then if you walk like 5 feet away, you hear a beep again and it's locked.

Yes, the leak detection pump is a known problem that's been reported to Mazda. My service tech said he had two other fixes yesterday, mine was the third. The problem is putting in a new sensor takes 1 1/2 hours. And, they are forced to do a 1/2 hour inspection to make sure the leak isn't real. I can live with this since the car is so great, but I'll be really pissed if it ends up being a design issue -- that is, not a bad sensor but a good sensor being triggered by something inherent. That too could be fixed, but..........

My sympathies to you guys with the problems. I've got 3100 mi with no symptoms, and my fingers are now crossed.

Guess what just happened to me after 900 miles....
Yep, Check Engine light.
Cant image its a loose gas cap, i had the light when i got in my car, drove to get gas, filled up the tank, and tightened the cap... light is still on.

cmourikis said:
Guess what just happened to me after 900 miles....
Yep, Check Engine light.
Cant image its a loose gas cap, i had the light when i got in my car, drove to get gas, filled up the tank, and tightened the cap... light is still on.

Good luck. Let us know the verdict when you find out.

Back