20psi on mazdaspeed 6???

MS6freek

:
MAZDASPEED 6 2006
if i want to boost 20psi , is it good to put a fuelcut defender and a fuel pressor regulator????? and a boost controler of course.

i need some advice on that!!!

Maybe some Dryrock to soak up all that oil leaking from the holes blown in the side of the block. What is stock boost anyway?

I would be awefully nervous with all the problems with the FS motor! Not sure of the capability of the 6 motor. Supporting mods??

Why not just get a Stand-alone EMS and go from there. You don't wanna be the first person to blow the Speed6 motor.

I say go for it, but it's not my car.

Average boost is 15-16psi, with spikes in the 19-21psi range.

That's a decent increase of sustained boost. Shoot for about a 10-15% increase, and report back. I'd like to see you carry the 15lbs of boost past 6000 rpm first.

shane02pro5 said:
Maybe some Dryrock to soak up all that oil leaking from the holes blown in the side of the block. What is stock boost anyway?

I would be awefully nervous with all the problems with the FS motor! Not sure of the capability of the 6 motor. Supporting mods??

I saw spikes as high as 29 psi (omg) when a vacume line came off the wastegate actuator. My motor is still running fine and I never even had a MIL pop up(nothing even pending).

p5freek said:
if i want to boost 20psi , is it good to put a fuelcut defender and a fuel pressor regulator????? and a boost controler of course.

i need some advice on that!!!

1)The turbo probably wont hold 20psi. Most of the flow maps of the k04 turbo show it as pretty much maxed out at the stock boost levels.
2)You can't modify the fuel pressure as it's already at 1667~1885 psi at the injectors.
3)You could try a boost controller just to see if you can get a couple of extra psi, but make sure to pay attention to your AFR's.

nvmsp said:
Why not just get a Stand-alone EMS and go from there. You don't wanna be the first person to blow the Speed6 motor.

I don't know of any standalones that can handle the throttle-by-wire, and/or the direct injection.

Last edited:
ssinstaller said:
I saw spikes as high as 29 psi (omg) when a vacume line came off the wastegate actuator. My motor is still running fine and I never even had a MIL pop up(nothing even pending).

1)The turbo probably wont hold 20psi. Most of the flow maps of the k04 turbo show it as pretty much maxed out at the stock boost levels.
2)You can't modify the fuel pressure as it's already at ~1885 psi at the injectors.
3)You could try a boost controller just to see if you can get a couple of extra psi, but make sure to pay attention to your AFR's.

I don't know of any standalones that can handle the throttle-by-wire, and/or the direct injection.

Just curious how a manual boost controller is going to work on a pass-through wastegate actuator that is solenoid driven?

The fuel pressure very rarely (if ever) hits 1885psi, the highest I have seen was around 1600. Even at 1600 the duty cycle of the bypass solenoid wasn't even close to maxed. I bet you could increase the fuel pressure. Now how to do it and when to determine how to do it would be the question.

ya because of the set up on the speed 6 turbo and stock computer it will have to be chipped similarly to an audi/volkswagon but of course there are no chips available

BlkZoomZoom said:
Just curious how a manual boost controller is going to work on a pass-through wastegate actuator that is solenoid driven?

The fuel pressure very rarely (if ever) hits 1885psi, the highest I have seen was around 1600. Even at 1600 the duty cycle of the bypass solenoid wasn't even close to maxed. I bet you could increase the fuel pressure. Now how to do it and when to determine how to do it would be the question.

Thereare tweo connection to the wastegate actuator, one directly from the turbo, and one running through the control solenoid valve to the intake(releases pressure to hold wastegate closed). Any old boost controller will work if it's connected on the turbo side of the wastegate actuator.

Yeah, it looks like I read the info wrong about the fuel pressure it should run between about 435~1667 psi, 1885 is the saftey bypass pressure. But, there really isn't a way to raise the fuel pressure, both the high and low pressure regulators are built into their respective pumps, and to make things even worse the high pressure pump is driven off a camshaft.
Regardless, it really seems like the MS6 can deliver all the fuel the car should ever need, most dynos are showing AFR's 10 to 1 or lower in the higher rpms. I think we'll run out of turbo well before we run short on fuel.

Sadly most all of this always come back to the same problem.. ECU / EMS....

We just need to get someone working on a bypass for mazdas wonderful ECU.. Considering how advanced and computer driven these cars are getting.. a simple chip doesn't seem to be the answer... need an EMS which integrates into the stock setup...

Chris-BE said:
I say go for it, but it's not my car.

Average boost is 15-16psi, with spikes in the 19-21psi range.

That's a decent increase of sustained boost. Shoot for about a 10-15% increase, and report back. I'd like to see you carry the 15lbs of boost past 6000 rpm first.

GUYS GUYS GUYS be normal here , everything can be done to a car. and my friend has a speed 6 and he installed a manual boost controller and he has 18 psi all the way till 7000rpm. so it is done. and there is no picks of 23psi or whatever . it stays at 18psi from 2000 - 7000rpm all the way.

theonly problem im looking at is that we tryed at 19psi and we hit the fuel cut , so that sucks big time. im sure that with a fuel cut defender i will be alright!!!

nvmsp said:

u really conna put a stand alone on a 40 000$ car?????

p5freek said:
u really conna put a stand alone on a 40 000$ car?????

I mean, if your already talking about modifying , AKA screwing around with a $40,000 car, then do it right.

p5freek said:
GUYS GUYS GUYS be normal here , everything can be done to a car. and my friend has a speed 6 and he installed a manual boost controller and he has 18 psi all the way till 7000rpm. so it is done. and there is no picks of 23psi or whatever . it stays at 18psi from 2000 - 7000rpm all the way.

theonly problem im looking at is that we tryed at 19psi and we hit the fuel cut , so that sucks big time. im sure that with a fuel cut defender i will be alright!!!

what??? so he holds boost all the way to redline at 18psi? any issues? what type of mbc and how did he install it? pics? sorry for all the questions...

For the record, I think running 18-20psi on this car is a bad idea. I would not try that.

seanmcsean said:
For the record, I think running 18-20psi on this car is a bad idea. I would not try that.

it comes stock 15psi how would 18 - 20 psi would be bad.????

MAZDASPEED619 said:
what??? so he holds boost all the way to redline at 18psi? any issues? what type of mbc and how did he install it? pics? sorry for all the questions...

i will post a video today , i will go and film it right away like this u guys can see that it is possible!!!!

i called mazda canada and i talked to the guy that went and did the course for the mazdaspeed 6 and he told me that the engin is perfectly good for 25psi no problem. it is completly forged .
so 20 psi wont kill it

Back