New Side Mirror Covers Cheap Modification

Zoom5Zoom

:
Mazda 5 GS 5MT
Heya I know this is not the best change goin but some of us where stuck with color painted door handles with black side mirror covers(GS models in canada....GT have color matched painted covers). Well I found a solution.

I ordered color keyed covers from my dealer and changed em in 20 minutes. Really didn't take my time removing the covers but you could take more time if you release the clips behind the mirrors.

Total cost about 50 Bux Canadian for both.

I supplied some pics but will add better pics outside when I get a chance.

BTW I discovered a bonus: When the cover was off my mirror was wired for HEATED mirror... this is not an option on a GS in canada so I will find out where that wire goes to connect it and get bonus side heated mirrrors

Attachments

• old cover inside with clips.jpg
    old cover inside with clips.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 249
  • old outside black cover.jpg
    old outside black cover.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 225
  • new blue on 5.jpg
    new blue on 5.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 248
  • new folded cover.jpg
    new folded cover.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 229
Zoom5Zoom said:
BTW I discovered a bonus: When the cover was off my mirror was wired for HEATED mirror... this is not an option on a GS in canada so I will find out where that wire goes to connect it and get bonus side heated mirrrors

It IS an option in Canada. The heated mirrors in the GT are activated when you turn on your rear glass defrosters. At least that was what I was told by my dealer when I picked up my GT. I haven't had a chance to try that feature out yet - just picked up my Brilliant Black Beauty a little over a week ago.

I'm gonna do this... someday. Black is pretty close to Carbon Gray anyways, I don't even notice.
Also, the GT has silver trim on the door panels around the window switches, this can easily be swapped too, but they're a bit pricy. Then again, so are the mirror covers.
And the wiring thing isn't a suprise. The front door wiring is the same for all US models. So even if you don't have the 6 speaker system or heated mirrors, the wiring is already there to "add" them later.

martman said:
It IS an option in Canada. The heated mirrors in the GT are activated when you turn on your rear glass defrosters. At least that was what I was told by my dealer when I picked up my GT. I haven't had a chance to try that feature out yet - just picked up my Brilliant Black Beauty a little over a week ago.
found the technical answer

I need to replace the glass mirror for a glass mirror with an element. That cost should be about 40 bux also then I get the option of heated mirrors also. This mod rocks

Rocket I knew you would ask that but the part number matches the paint code of my car.

BTW there where no codes until I ordered em for my car.

C243-69-1A1-xx right side cover
C243-69-1A7-xx left side cover

where "xx" = the 2 digit abreviated part number paint code... to determine that, use your bottle of touch up paint... on the top there should be a sticker on it with a 2 digit alphanumeric code, use that to complete the part number..... if the sticker is missing, look on the bottle to see if there is a part number... if there are 2 standing digit codes after the last dash "-", that is the code you'll need to complete the part number

you *cannot* use the paint code off your door jam sticker as that is just the body paint code for the car because it is 3 digits

Back