New MS6 Mustang Dyno Results

Rainman

:
2006 Black Mica MS6 GT + 2007 MS3 (2003.5 Yellow MSP = retired)
!!!New MS6 Mustang Dyno Results!!!

Here are some recent dyno results for out little baby! Therr first three are new results from a Mustang Dyno in San Jose on a stock MS6. The last is from a Mustang Dyno in South Carolina. They were posted on another Mazda 6 site. Both are from stock MS6s running 93 octane fuel.

For comparison is a Mustang Dyno result for a stock STi from Cali.

Stock, the MS6 results are reportedly comparable to stock STi results. That is pretty cool. Granted, the STi is a lighter car, but it speaks to the potential of the engine. Put an MS6 ECU in the upcoming MS3 (edit: and figure out a way to deal with the lack of AWD) and the STi will have a run for its money baby!

It is disheartening though to see how much drivetrain loss there is. (pissed)

R

Attachments

• ms6_dynorun1.jpg
    ms6_dynorun1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 417
  • ms6_dynorun2.jpg
    ms6_dynorun2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 356
  • ms6_dynorun3.jpg
    ms6_dynorun3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 360
  • MS6basedyno.jpg
    MS6basedyno.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC03061.jpg
    DSC03061.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
that's awesome stuff, but stupid question, how would the ms6 ecu handle the ms3's lack of awd? can you get around that?

mountjonas said:
that's awesome stuff, but stupid question, how would the ms6 ecu handle the ms3's lack of awd? can you get around that?

C'mon brother...I can't think of everything....LOL! I'm sure it would take more than just a little tweaking baby!

R

this is mine with aem intake on the mustang dynometer
272 ft-lb 243 hp

Attachments

• dyno 3.JPG
    dyno 3.JPG
    362.1 KB · Views: 286
  • dyno 2.JPG
    dyno 2.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 231
buit9110 said:
this is mine with aem intake on the mustang dynometer
272 ft-lb 243 hp

Awesome brother! That is the s*** right there! Like to hear it.

R

wow, so that is a huge increas with just an intake!
do you know what your stock was?

no i never dynoed it stock. huge mistake! but i gotta tell you, its a lot faster now. aem rocks!

Rainman said:
Here are some recent dyno results for out little baby! . . ..

Stock, the MS6 results are reportedly comparable to stock STi results. That is pretty cool. Granted, the STi is a lighter car, but it speaks to the potential of the engine. Put an MS6 ECU in the upcoming MS3 (edit: and figure out a way to deal with the lack of AWD) and the STi will have a run for its money baby!

It is disheartening though to see how much drivetrain loss there is. (pissed)

R

Rainman, I don't think you're gonna need the MS6 ECU. MS3 HP is 267, reportedly due only to restrictive exhaust routing in the smaller engine compartment. And without the drivetrain loss due to the rear half of the AWD, I'm speculating power to the ground is equal to the MS6. I'm no engineer, and I'm lazy, so maybe someone who is not one or the other can figure out if I'm right or wrong. I think the MS3 will definitely give the STi a run for it's money once its wheels stop spinning, ie., lose the 1/4 mile but keeping up in roll-ons.(burnout)

Last edited:
Anyone get the feeling the advertised horsepower should be 250? and 270 torque?

I love my Speed 6 but i have to say they have inflated the horsepower and torque numbers.

Anyone remember the RX8?

Anyone up for Mazda makign amends?

This must be for Marketing reasons... similar to the CX7... I do not think that you will like to find out that a car that is couple of grands less than yours have the same power.... CX7 figures are based on 87 octane fuel and not 93.... Other potential items that may drove the desicion to reduce the power is handling limit, half shaft design, the max torque that the transmission can handle, tires.. etc....

I posted this on another MPS 6 forum__ I think Mazda has some explaining to do when they advertise 274 hp and 280 tq and generally at the wheels, we are seeing 215 to 225 whp and 230 to 250 whtq...

RX8 anyone? High octane appears to be the legal disclaimer for future issues, but an SRT 4 can pump out 230 whp/tq from the factory on 91 to 92 octane...

Tell us Mazda how this car can CONSISTENTLY lose 50 hp and a little less torque in the real world.

This is unacceptable driveline loss.They should advertise 250 hp and 260 tq.

1) this is a mustang dyno. they dyno less
2) this is an awd car. they loose more power to the ground than those that are rwd and fwd(looses less).

I think there is more to this... Mustang or Dynojet...

Remember the RX 8 was advertised as 247 (hmmm...274for the Speed 6). RX8 owners experienced a 19 to 23% driveline loss before Mazda started refunding and apologizing.

23% driveline loss in Speed 6 equals 211whp

19% driveline loss in Speed equals 222whp

isn't the avg awd loss like 20-25%. assuming this I dont see a prob. plus those numbers are mustang(more accurate but not what most dyno at when stating numbers). I think they are not inflating it. Wait to see a stock dynojet before you compare to other cars and whatnot. You'll see it's about right

DSpec said:
Anyone get the feeling the advertised horsepower should be 250? and 270 torque?

I love my Speed 6 but i have to say they have inflated the horsepower and torque numbers.

Anyone remember the RX8?

Anyone up for Mazda makign amends?

Edit: nevermind, I misread the dyno charts.

Last edited:
DSpec said:
I think there is more to this... Mustang or Dynojet...

Remember the RX 8 was advertised as 247 (hmmm...274for the Speed 6). RX8 owners experienced a 19 to 23% driveline loss before Mazda started refunding and apologizing.

23% driveline loss in Speed 6 equals 211whp

19% driveline loss in Speed equals 222whp
The RX-8 is RWD, the MS6 is AWD with the Haldex clutch-based system. The RX-8 didn't have an excuse for the apparent high-level of drivetrain powerloss. Unfortunately the MS6 does. Let's see what the MS3 puts down at the wheels in a few months.

seanw said:
The RX-8 is RWD, the MS6 is AWD with the Haldex clutch-based system. The RX-8 didn't have an excuse for the apparent high-level of drivetrain powerloss. Unfortunately the MS6 does. Let's see what the MS3 puts down at the wheels in a few months.
The STI dyno shows 222 WHP if I saw correctly.
That is 78HP loss or 35%.

Drivetrain losses are an important factor and the MSP usually dyno's in 150 155 range and that is 20 to 25 HP lower.

Last edited:
Nino Uvita said:
This must be for Marketing reasons... similar to the CX7... I do not think that you will like to find out that a car that is couple of grands less than yours have the same power.... CX7 figures are based on 87 octane fuel and not 93.... Other potential items that may drove the desicion to reduce the power is handling limit, half shaft design, the max torque that the transmission can handle, tires.. etc....

Although I'm not sure what your point is, I don't think the CX-7 figures are based on 87 since 91 is recommended. As to the marketing reasons, the MS3 is rated only 7 HP less and Mazda says it is due solely to restrictive exhaust routing out of the smaller engine compartment, so I guess they don't care about getting similar engine performance out of a less expensive car.

Latest posts

Back