Trailer Hitch for Speed6

RayO

:
Black Cherry Speed6
Has anyone found a trailer hitch for the Speed6 yet?? I'm trying to get one for a bike rack, because I don't want to do an overhead system. So far none of the major sellers of hitches have offered anything and I haven't had much luck with the couple of welding shops I've called getting back to me. Just wondering if anybody else is looking or has found one.

Rear bumper is too low to the ground w/o modding it.... I woudln't expect anything worth a darn.... I assume you'd probably want it on always and forever.. in which case you can cut the bottom black part of the bumper easy enough... do a clean job and the hitch will look dandy!

P.S. As a joke / bet / dare... whatever you want to call it.. I had a hitch on my 97 Civic... I would remove the rear bumper.. and boom.. there was the hitch... it was "functional" however not "legal" i don't think... as it didn't stick far enough out from the rear of the vehicle.... but I could re-attach the rear bumper and you'd never know it was there....

This might be something you can do with the 6... have it welded under the bumper somewhere... Pop the bumper off when you need to pull or carry something.... somewhat ugly.. but allows you to return it to 100% stock looking when your done....

Last edited:
I'm actually moving pretty soon... I'm taking enough s*** that i'll be getting a full size uhaul... and putting my speed on a car trailor... However I will ask uhaul if they have.. or could install a hitch on the vehicle... see what they say....

Hell i'm pretty sure AWD + 280 torque is plenty to pull around a good deal... Though i'm not sure there is much to weld the hitch onto under there...

As far as I remember, there is only ONE safe location to use on the front of the vehicle to jack it up... And a few down the sides... while my civic had at least 2 locations that were safe in the front.

friend of mine did this on his STI

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774244&highlight=hitch

Before
13917261452.jpg

after
13917374070.jpg

Plate has a pice that goes into the hitch, looks and works great

Anyone found a good hitch?

The STI mod won't work on the MS6 as the tag is on the truck lid.

I've had my MS6 on the lift. There isn't much to work with but it's possible to fab one.

I have an old fox body mustang hitch that has volunteered to be transformed into an MS6 hitch. Mostly the receiver part matches the flat drawbar that I already have.

Other wise I would buy a standard Mazda6 hitch and mod it to work with the MS6 rear facia.

This is my friend's car. Where the hitch normally extends to is blocked by the emissions charcoal canister. I modified a Mazda6 hitch to fit. I've towed with it quite a few times. It handles great with a trailer, no problems what-so-ever.

pretty much every mazda owner's manual i have read in the last five years with the exception of a Tribute or CX9 has said explicitly not to tow with one. with that in mind, should something powertrain related go wrong, they would be within thier bounds to void the warranty or refuse work. not saying the cars aren't capable of towing mind you.

pretty much every mazda owner's manual i have read in the last five years with the exception of a Tribute or CX9 has said explicitly not to tow with one. with that in mind, should something powertrain related go wrong, they would be within thier bounds to void the warranty or refuse work. not saying the cars aren't capable of towing mind you.
:werd:

Good info

This is my friend's car. Where the hitch normally extends to is blocked by the emissions charcoal canister. I modified a Mazda6 hitch to fit. I've towed with it quite a few times. It handles great with a trailer, no problems what-so-ever.
Which manufacturer's hitch did you modify? I think I have seen three variations for the Mazda6. One did not require drilling into the spare tire wheel well. Another (Hidden Hitch?) did require drilling two holes. The third? The notes must be at home (writing from work). Perhaps the manufacturer started with a "C" or "Ce"? Ceqa? Something like that.

I am primarily looking to carry two bicycles on hitch rack. For fun, though, I like to rent U-Haul trailers and whip around the Sierra Nevada. OK. That's not true. I may not tow, but it is my car & my problem if & when I do tow.

The pictures later in this thread ought to help me choose a hitch receiver. Best kind of shop to take it to for modding a receiver? A good body shop?

Hitch-mounted bike racks are the the bee's knees.

Thanks.

What happens when you fit a Draw-Tite p/n 24775 ( = Hidden-Hitch #60846 = Reese RP-77152) for a Mazda 6 to your Mazdaspeed 6?

Answer (short): It works! Sort of. Kind of. Need lots of tools. Welding skills a plus. (beer)

Answer (medium): Good grief. Some notes below.

See attached image and not the six "arms" -- three pair of brackets ... something like that.

1. The two arms that bolt to the bumper bracket cross-bar just about fit. Not quite though. Grind receiver bracket bolt holes (enlarge in one direction .. forget which ... inward or outward) or fabricate work-around.

2. The two wings that bolt to the rear frame ends almost fit. Not quite though. Cut and weld extensions into place.

3. The two arms that extend back to the spare tire wheel well will not line up. Not close. Angles are off in a most peculiar way .. and the the MS6 spare tire well appears to be deeper than the Mazda 6. Cut and weld extensions into place.

Surprise!

Next thing to address is the fact that the hitch and exhaust are on planes that place the rear tire tray on my Yakima Hookup bike rack in a position to melt. (cryhard)

I suppose pictures are in order. Shortly.

Oh yes. The lower fascia with the super trick exhaust trim needed a little trimming.

( It would be really terrific if all of you who can't stomach the thought of hitch on the MS6 took a chill pill. I am good with it ... and the MS6 fun factor has not diminished. )

Attachments

• 24775.jpg
    24775.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
Why do you not wanna do a bike rack on top of the car? A buddy of mine has a integra gsr that has a thule bike rack on it... looks so cool! I almost did it to my speed but i dont like riding bikes so no need for the rack!

Did you get a chance to take some pictures of the hitch? I'm also interested to know your opinion about whether or not the hitch would be strong enough to handle a motorcycle and lightweight trailer...i.e. is the whole thing about as strong as it is supposed to be or is it weakened because of the modification? Thanks in advance.

Back