Mazda CX7 Live Drive Comparison Murano & Honda CR-V

Zoom5Zoom

:
Mazda 5 GS 5MT
Heya

Just finished a full day driving the CX7, MURANO and the CR-V.

Let me say we did lot of technical and hands on this course. Our driving included a closed course with white lines in chalk and cones (only for the guys that cant drive lol) and a road course with local traffic.

Technical CX7

Sweet. Right from the Turbo to the DISI intercooler system and AWD system it rocks.

Exterior
Sleek Lines and looks just like the DNA Mazda wants to blend into all its lines.
Interior
Clean not crowded to the eyes and the body
Undercarrage
Just not bulky and has a very agressive "AWD" set up... ah simple and real time activation.

Ok all that said I really have to say this CX7 both GS and GT really rock and I mean in a great way. Although not as light as the CRV and not as heavy as the Murano I felt the CX7 handled very well.

Very little over steering felt on technical course but it did compensate with it's spectacular Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) sytem. I felt the Murano had too much body roll on tight or high speed turns, especially on Emergency lane change mock up on our track.

I don't to be long winded on the review but really wanted to highlight some technical and functional information on the CX7.

DISI with Inter chamber intercooler reduces turbo lag by 10% compared to any typical turbo conventional injected engines. Smaller unit with aerospace specification of the bearing and smaller overall design makes for a sweet package. Although lag was evident at 0-2K RPM we hit peak Torque at 2500 RPM which IMO is quick to the punch. We are measuring a 1.4 boost in this config.

Our AWD PTO the drive shaft is always active with the frontwheels being the first active axle. The rear will quickly snap in when energised via a direct coupled clutch system. NOT a hydralic supported as on the MURANO unit. Yaw sensor adds a new dimension to active AWD system on the CX7. BTW if you see 4WD light on the console it was a boo boo. We are a true AWD cause we only have one PTO and not two transfer cases as found in a 4WD system.

Although tow rating is limited to 2000 Lbs you tell me how often you need something anymore then that.... if so everyone cheats that rating eh we are human.

As measured the CX7 uses premium fuel due to the Turbo addition. It has been measured that the use of Premium Fuel based on 20000 Km per year costs a whole 60 cents a day.

I experienced the DSC even with the TSC turned off and didnt have a chance to see the indicator on the console but did feel the sytem active though my butt and my passengers butt (as he said to me). This was experienced thought the simulated emergency lane change.

The rear crash rating on the CX7 is 80 km/h which is the newest standard set out by our government standards department. The MURANO and CRV are rated to 50 km/h as they where given a grandfather clause in order to sell this year....

Interior finish on the CRV is old and I don't want to even discuss. The MURANO had a large interior but very BLAH finish exspecially the dash concole. Man could even see the display during my ride... go figure I think it was made for a motor bike not a crossover unit.

The Nav unit on the MURANO was just not pleasent in presentation (small dull screen) and did not integrate the stereo functions as on the CX7. Oh the CRV didnt have a NAV but we kept stareing at the damn emergency brake handle lol. Also integrated with the REAR CAMERA system.... the image was crisp but a large warning on screen says "DO A WALK AROUND etc etc" basically cover your butt statement that the rear camera is not a excuse for running over a bike outside of its image view. Voice activated NAV unit was not used as I was too excited about the other features on the CX7. BTW you can use an "external sourse DVD unit" to display images in the NAV screen and pushing the MEDIA button. This is not supported by Mazda due to safety reasons.

Sport Mode Shift was just fine and only change from other Mazda typical configureation is this. If you are in the top gear ie 6th and you switch to manual sport mode it drops gears to 5th automatically as it assumes you went into manual to be more agressive in your drive. Will have to see if this change is and advantage or a deterrent but did not notice any bad feedback at 80-100 km/h speeds.
The Intelligent keyless entry system on the CX7 was improved from the day it appeared on the SPEED6 in 2006. It has and interior sensor and one on each front door handle. Many dummy proof preventible lockout features but this next point really rocks compared to the SPEED. The AUTO down Front windows and ..... wait are your ready.... MOON ROOF OPENS TOOOOO. How smart is that.

BOSE stereo with sound cancelling was not played with as time ran out but the interface funtions are only availible with CD units.
Ok just too much to add but in closing:

HID Xenon Headlights, 18 inch rims, Sharp body lines, Clean open interior just an overall great unit. I recommend it to anyone and if you have any specific questions please fire on as I have too much crap for this blog entry.

BTW got the watch and bose audio Demo CD for the days efforts...and a great drive which I didn't have to pay for the tires or cones lol

(first) CX7 in my books for the $

Attachments

• Brochure LIVE.jpg
    Brochure LIVE.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,087
Last edited:
My ride and drive comes up in about a week. Can't wait, though I demo'd the CX-7 last night.

Puckpimp71 said:
My ride and drive comes up in about a week. Can't wait, though I demo'd the CX-7 last night.

which ride the ms3??? well the cx-7 rocks is an awesome car i love it!!(ughdance) (first)

Zoom5Zoom said:
BTW you can use an "external sourse DVD unit" to display images in the NAV screen and pushing the MEDIA button. This is not supported by Mazda due to safety reasons.
Can you tell me what external source would allow me to play dvd's through the media port?

Back