Electro hydraulic steering

silverm5

:
06 Mazda5 Touring, 2012 Hyundai Accent GS
Does anyone here know how the steering works on the 5? I know that it is electrically driven. So, can I assume that an electric motor is actually turning the wheels? What happens if the motor goes bad or if the steering control module goes bad? Will I still be able to steer the vehicle if either one goes bad? I'm an aircraft mechanic, so I understand the mechanics, but on the aircraft that I work on, there are back up systems. At times, there are even back up sytems to the back up, lol.

Ok, makes sense. If the assist is gone, then back to manual steering.

hah, I remember my first car... an 89 Geo Spectrum with no A/C and no power steering. It was a bugger to turn in a parking lot, but with any speed at all it was easy.

A lot of cars now have electric steering so it's definately not something that's particularly prone to bugs.

instead of a mechanically driven pump, it's an electrically driven pump... everything else is the same... it still uses fluid and lines

Silver

Not only is it Electric Hydrolic pump it is a speed sensing unit also. At standstill the pump will work harder to help with parking and tight turns.... at highway speeds it will reduce assistance.

As for power dump or failure of the pump it is like the old days when you broke your power steering pump.... turns like a dog. I should warn you if the battery power is low but just enough to drive the pump and then power goes below the "no go" level the steering will be hard then if power goes up it gets easy again....very dangerous. If the later happens get a tow eh!

Aircraft mechanic eh.... retired avionics technician here CF18/CC130/CF115/CF5/CT144/CH147/CH146 etc what did you play with.... was a great life

I've been having some trouble with my 5 and when it happens the power steering goes. FWIW, it actually still steers pretty well without it. You can tell that it is tough, but it isn't too bad, in fact the first time I questioned whether I was just imagining it.

ladygrey, why not get that checked out while it's still free ;)

EDIT: nevermind... I forgot you're already working on it!

Last edited:
Zoom5Zoom said:
Silver

Aircraft mechanic eh.... retired avionics technician here CF18/CC130/CF115/CF5/CT144/CH147/CH146 etc what did you play with.... was a great life

C-5 Galaxy crew chief. U.S. Airforce-4 yrs active 15 yrs reserve. 1 tour of duty in Iraq last year. So you are retired Canadian Airforce? My hats off to you Canadians for helping out on the global war on terror.

Yes Retired CAF. Wish we had that Galaxy in my day... I do remember them and the over wing refueling of B52's when pressure point fails; took 4.5 hrs :)
Thanks back at ya

The electro-hydraulic system is very, very similar to what Subaru put in the XT-6 (MY '88-'91). It's really a very nice system, and reduces parasitic losses considerably compared with driving that hydraulic pump all day when you're usually not moving the steering wheel. Also quite reliable and durable.

Good point. Ease of parking with more assistance is a nice relief for tight spots and backing into the garage.

Back