Mazda 6 Check Engine light concerns

Black6

I'm new to this forum, and happy to be a part of it, but sorry if I am in the wrong section here. I just need some help as I am new to the Mazda family and to a car born in this millenium. Here's my situation...

Just bought a 2003 Mazda 6 in February. I love driving this car. It has 42,000 on it. However, my check engine light is currently on and I am planning to drive 5 hours tonight, then back on Monday. The car is running great, sounds great, all fluids are good and full, gas cap is tight. However I'm a little concerned because it's my new baby. I think it will be fine, but was hoping some of you could offer some advice. Will it be OK? Would you drive? Could it be the air filter?

I live in LA and have been regularly driving and hour or so at a time the past few days, but not 5 hours.

Also, a side note... this is my first step into a car this nice and dealing with dealerships and warranties and all that. I've always had beaters, so that adds to my concern.

Which engine is it?
Go to your local discount Auto parts store, Autozone, Pep boys which ever one you can get to easily and get them to pull the CEL code.

Back