First oil change?

Matt5

Hi,
what's the recommended oil change for the first one? On my other new vehicle it was suggested to do one at around 1600km to get rid of the "broken in oil". My 5 is at 1700km now, wondering if I should change it? Did not find anything in the service/user manual.

Thanks!

M

Matt your a rookie lol. I just changed mine at 6300 km because I have passed the 4 month period or 8000 km mark since I bought. You should run until but not past 8K. The Mazda 5 uses 5W20 and its life is much longer then the days we used 10W30.

Save your money wait unitil 4 Months or 8K.

FWIW--
I hire an analyst to interpret used oil analysis when I run a sample. He has thousands of analyses and dozens of years of experience in automotive, heavy machinery, aircraft, boat, and racing of all the above (except maybe the heavy machinery :) ). He tells me his experience with the MZR engines shows things left over sometimes from casting, and he recommended to me to change the oil the first time at around 1,000 miles (I believe he said no more than either 1,200 or 1,500 miles). This is not because there's 'break-in' oil. It's to flush things from the manufacturing process out that he's seen in there from UOAs on this engine series.

If you or anyone is interested in talking to him, his name is Terry Dyson. Contact him through www.dysonanalysis.com

Back