Test drove CX-7 AWD + pics!

dracore

I just had a chance to test drive the CX-7 AWD today. What can I say.... it was pretty exciting! The car was very agile and handled twists and turns very well. The brakes were equally as amazing -- even at high speeds and the vehicle came to a stop in a short distance. It was very responsive!

I am currently driving a Mazda 5, and could not help comparing them in terms of the driving experience. The CX-7 felt like a completely different animal than the 5. It handled very well and had this rough / agressive driving feel to it...the kind that makes you want to zoom-zoom! My 5 on the other hand typically feels more graceful, again also responds well to twists and turns, but it does so in a gentle laid-back way than compared to the CX-7.

I also noticed that during steering, the steering wheel on the Mazda3/5 turns smoothly and with ease. The CX-7 is a little bit more stiff.

During acceleration, you can hear the CX-7 engine roar. More like a low roar than compared to an Infiniti's howl. The highway test drive was not very quiet. There might have been a number of things contributing to this: 1. Today was a little bit windy, 2. Tires were not quiet, 3. Enjoyed pressing that gas pedal

Interior-wise, I think it's just fine. Leather seats and all, felt like standard Mazda quality. The only thing I did not like was the controls on the steering wheel. Unlike the Mazda3/5, it had little switches surrounded by a black rectangular plastic shell. In my opinion, it looks really cheap when they do that -- not sure why they couldn't just stick with the same style on Mazda3/5.

Have to admit though... the CX-7 feels a little bit small. I guess that I'm just too used to my 5 (seats 6)! :)

The CX-7 really is quite amazing and definitely a head turner. I think some guy in an X3 was following me for a bit....

And what better way to end this post with pictures! It is black cherry mica..looks a little bit darker than it should be.

BTW, also included a picture with a front comparison between my Mazda 5 and the CX-7. You can surely see that agressive, muscular stance :) I like it!

s17he.jpg

s24mm.jpg

s35il.jpg

s44ym.jpg

s50ha.jpg

s69ea.jpg

i13wh.jpg

i23tc.jpg

i32rw.jpg

i41pv.jpg

e12uu.jpg

e24ot.jpg

Last edited:
Wow I am digging that car/suv whatever you wanna call it. Kinda reminds me of a cayenne (not sure how you spell it).

How much do they go for???

goodyears v bridgstones

Looking at your pics that cx-7 had goodyears on it?
Great pics Thaink You!

Last edited:
Yup it had Goodyears on them. You have good eyes :)

As reported in another post, the Goodyears could have been the source of some of the noise during the test drive.

Great pix! The black cherry mica looks really dark (as mentioned)....does it look brighter in the sun? thanks for the post!

mr. roboto said:
Great pix! The black cherry mica looks really dark (as mentioned)....does it look brighter in the sun? thanks for the post!

Yup it is definitely brighter in the sun. It's sort of a dark purplish/red colour.. but definitely not black. Very nice colour!

Wind Noise?

dracore said:
Yup it is definitely brighter in the sun. It's sort of a dark purplish/red colour.. but definitely not black. Very nice colour!

Hello, you say there is significant wind noise? This is a major complaint of mine with my 2002 Tribute, which I understand Mazda(Ford} improved in the 2004 model year. Can't understand why the engineers can't get this right with new model year cars. CX-7 looks awesome, though.

CX-7 it's big news to mazda and crossover market in US... in fact I love looks compared with murano's design who still is attractive but I guess CX-7 it's a better choice.... hope I can see it right there soon...

nice interiors... maybe with a nice bigger wheels will look awesome...

Finally, Pics of Black Cherry Mica! HOT COLOR!

Too bad the CX-7 is loud on the freeway, that might be a deal breaker for me.

mirt said:
Hello, you say there is significant wind noise? This is a major complaint of mine with my 2002 Tribute, which I understand Mazda(Ford} improved in the 2004 model year. Can't understand why the engineers can't get this right with new model year cars. CX-7 looks awesome, though.

There was definitely moderate wind noise but on that day, it was a very windy to begin with. Driving on the freeway only made it sound worse. On regular roads, there was very little. The model I drove also came with sunroof option so that might have also added to the noise.

stangmatt66 said:
Finally, Pics of Black Cherry Mica! HOT COLOR!

Too bad the CX-7 is loud on the freeway, that might be a deal breaker for me.

I would recommend that you give it a demo to try it out yourself on the freeway. It might have been just that particular day that didn't make it a quiet run and perhaps on other days, it might be much better. IMHO it is a fine car and drives great. I'd be interested in hearing reviews from other test drivers too!

dracore said:
I would recommend that you give it a demo to try it out yourself on the freeway. It might have been just that particular day that didn't make it a quiet run and perhaps on other days, it might be much better. IMHO it is a fine car and drives great. I'd be interested in hearing reviews from other test drivers too!

Every review I've read mentions highway road noise. It is an issue. I'm wondering if better tires might ease the problem.

BTW, our 6 also transmits road noise - especially on concrete pavement.

To the point...Good review and great pics! :D

I can already tell if you buy a CX-7...You better get use to random people asking you...Is that a CAYENNE!?!?...despite the Mazda logo and badge...;)

The CX-7 looks great from the factory...Even the stance is "zoom zoom" but I would be really interested to see how it looked with a more aggressive lowered stance and aftermarket rims...I wouldn't be surprised if this crossover becomes a popular choice for tuners and audio shops to show of their goods!

lilarry said:
Every review I've read mentions highway road noise. It is an issue. I'm wondering if better tires might ease the problem.

BTW, our 6 also transmits road noise - especially on concrete pavement.

Engineers should road test for wind noise with the stock tires, and correct if necessary. Anyway, most SUVs come with tires which are geared more toward hiway use rather than off-road, and therefore, should be quieter. I'll wait a couple years til the 'bugs' are all out.

What year is your 6? Think I read the same thing for the early model years for that car too...road noise that is, which I heard(but only from forums) was corrected in the last couple years also.

Back