Mercedes Benz copies the Mazda5!!!

MD5

:
06 Carbon Gray Touring 5
HAHAHAHAH! go to www.mbusa.com and take a look at the R350 and R500. It seems that they almost copied the 5 to a "T". Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and Mazda should be flattered that it is Mercedes Benz that is doing the imitating.

Although, it would be nice to have a 5 with a 302 HP V8 engine!(shocked)

Matt

haha, yeah... although I'm not sure what came first to the country, the Mazda or the MB. Anyways, if you look around on teh internet I'm pretty sure there are some reviews that even mention that the Mazda5 almost the EXACT same car for less than half the price. I think there are actually a few more of those MB's in my area than 5's... dunno why?

FWIW, note the gas mileage, octane requirements and rear doors of the MB. Also, the $48k R350 is only a PINCH quicker than the Mazda5MT.

MB, for the loss!(ughdance)

Last edited:
I don't agree. The R class is almost 2 feet longer, half a foot wider and weighs almost 50% more than the 5. On top of that, they don't even look alike except for the rear sloping roofline that the Matrix and Vibe also have. And I highly doubt that the person shopping for a R class seriously has the 5 on their "To consider" list.

Dommo you're on srtforums aren't you? Head down to srtsyndicate, we need some more traffic down there (thumb)

Back on topic, umm have you seen the R class. That thing is nowhere as sporty as the 5. The R looks overweight compared to the 5. I dont even think they are in the same class.

NO WAY R series is nothing like the 5. We were about to buy it but went with the new ML. Personally the R is much nicer. The 5 is somewhat like a van whereas the R is nothing like a van.

um, the R class is WAY bigger, costs about $50k more, is available V8 RWD, and looks NOTHING like the 5. I doubt anyone is cross-shopping to two.

Don't be so sure about the cross shopping. I was seriously considering an R class but went with the 5 instead. My wife already has an E320 and it is a great car. But I just wanted an around town car and the 5 was better suited to the task. That it cost about a third of the price was a bonus!

InFlames said:
Dommo you're on srtforums aren't you? Head down to srtsyndicate, we need some more traffic down there (thumb)

Back on topic, umm have you seen the R class. That thing is nowhere as sporty as the 5. The R looks overweight compared to the 5. I dont even think they are in the same class.
do you use the same screen name on those sites?

I visit the syndicate every once in a while. Like when I need the SOT fix, ROFL!!

I didn't mean to get into an argument about which is better, etc.

I just meant that the vehicles are strikingly similar. I believe the R500 is AWD also, but would have to check the site to confirm.

I saw a commercial for the R350/500 yesterday and the first thing I thought was "Hey, it's an expensive 5!"

Matt

How you seen the MB A and B classes? They compete with the Mazda 5 in Europe. As for the R Class its shares its chassis with the Chrysler
Pacifica.

A Class

1374434716.jpg

B Class

14755317210.jpg

Last edited:
saw and "R" yesterday and pointed it out to my husband saying that it was the benz version of the 5.....the luxury version. Do you mean that I can buy 3 mazda5's for the same price as an R - WOW! Granted, I wouldn't mind leather.....

dommo_g said:
do you use the same screen name on those sites?

I visit the syndicate every once in a while. Like when I need the SOT fix, ROFL!!

Nah ViscousCircles is my sn over there aswell as srtforums.

LOL we have a thread dedicated to SOT leechers.

the benz only comes in awd..on your way to the 3rd row you wack your head on a big beam in the roof..EVERY time.. the r's seats don't slide and the r gets AWFUL gas mileage and is a beast to drive..my in-laws have one (R-500)
It also doesn't handle as good and paralell parking isn't a posibility..

I saw the R at the Atlanta Auto Show. It's totally a Mercedes Pacifica. Nothing like the 5 in person.

Back