Strange troubles... have the serviced guys stumped

ladygrey

:
2006 Mazda5 Touring MT, Carbon Grey
So my baby has been sitting lonely at the dealership since Saturday, after nearly all of the warning lights on the dash came on and the speedometer stopped working suddenly. The powersteering feels a little off too.

They thought it would be something simple like a fuse or a belt. But at this point the service guys are stumped and are running tests. Their best guess is that something's wrong with the computer. But, it made me nervous when the service manager called to tell me that if he hasn't figured it out by Wednesday that he'll get me the rental car information.

Anyone else had anything/heard of anything similar and know what it turned out to be?

The good news is that the dealership is earning my trust. Saturday when it happened Service was already closed, but the sales manager found us one of their used cars to drive for the weekend without even blinking an eye. Even left the key in the gas cap for us because we couldn't get there before they closed.

Last edited:
They think they've fixed it, so hopefully the fix will hold. They replaced all the connections... don't really know what that means but I'm getting my info second hand through my husband, who is even less of a gearheard than I am, because I was in meetings and couldn't take the call today. They also ordered the parts to fix the front-end noise going over bumps (they heard it this morning while they were test-driving) and a new remote because one of mine has been unhappy since day one. This will be the 2nd try on fixing it.

I should have it back by tomorrow at lunch if this fix holds.

I hope they really get your 5 fixed. I have a thread in this section explaining the problem with my 5. Service techs are still baffled.

Good luck with the fix. Makes me sad to see anyone having a problem with their zoom-zoom machine. Luckily I'm nearing 64k miles without ever having an issue with the car (that wasn't directly caused by me modifying things, like the 6 months I rode with a check engine light because I had an oxygen sensor removed). I'm sure the new models are even more rock solid and reliable, but there are always going to be some bugs.

Maybe there was something defective about your ECU and they had to order it and have it shipped out to them.

Arghhhh. 20 minutes before I was going to go pick it up last night they had it out for a test drive of the new bushings and all the damn lights came on again. So the first fix didn't hold and it's back to calling the Mazda Hotline for help.

I just want my baby back. Of course I'm driving the ugliest white Dodge Caravan ever made as a loaner which only makes things worse...

Well, at least your dealer is being very helpful with all this. Make sure you give them top marks if you receive a customer satisfaction card!

ladygrey said:
Arghhhh. 20 minutes before I was going to go pick it up last night they had it out for a test drive of the new bushings and all the damn lights came on again. So the first fix didn't hold and it's back to calling the Mazda Hotline for help.

I just want my baby back. Of course I'm driving the ugliest white Dodge Caravan ever made as a loaner which only makes things worse...

Sorry to hear that you're still having problems. Electrical problems seem to be the hardest ones to troubleshoot. My 95 Mitsu Eclipse had a load of electrical problems and when the Mini Cooper first came out, it had a bunch of electrical problems also. And of course the problem I had with my 5 was an electrical related issue. Hope the techs are able to resolve the issue soon.

Yea! I have it back. Of course he gave it back with the caveat that they hope it is fixed, but that if it isn't they know what to do.

I'll go ahead and outline the problem/solution here for posterity in case it crops up for anyone else.

2006 Mazda5 Manual Touring

Symptom - speedometer suddenly dropped to 0 and multiple warning lights on the dash came on - CEL, Power Steering, ABS, etc.

Problem - something is wrong with the connection between the ABS sensors on the wheels and the ABS computer. Usually if this happens it's either one bad sensor or a physical problem with the connection (chewed wires from Rats or Rabbits). In this case multiple error codes were coming up so it is a more global problem.

Fix so far - Replace all connections and "reboot" the system. There is a possibility this fix won't hold, in which case they will replace the entire ABS computer/system. But that part is on backorder at least a month. They did the first recommended fix Monday (not sure exactly what that was) and it took until yesterday for the warning lights to kick back on. So, the Service Manager gave it back to me, told me that if it does happen again that the car is fine to drive, the ABS just won't work (so be careful) and call him right away and he'll order the part.

I do have to give kudo's to this dealership and Service Dept. (Burt Mazda in Denver Colorado). The sales manager found us a car to drive Saturday evening and they let us keep it all week. The service manager told his staff to have him paged out of a meeting with the GM when we arrived to pick up so that he could explain everything personally. He also personally went and filled up the gas tank before he gave it back (and wasn't at all bothered that we hadn't filled up the car we were borrowing).

Also, while it was in, they fixed a problem I was having with the remote, replaced the leaking shock they had found at my oil change last week and ordered the new bushing assembly and installed it to fix the crunching sound when going over bumps.

Lady

Congrats on getting it back and you patience is always required when a car is broken and dropped in for service. It amazes me how many people think we are magicians and can fix anything that comes our way...well we are humans like everyone else. Not an excuse but it is a new vehicle and mechanics do get trained but until something major appears they don't get to practice what they learned. Sure the 5 has similar to the Mazda 3 the techs still need time to learn hands on.

Thanks for your patience friend

Well, it happened again after we had to brake hard to avoid being hit by someone who ran a red light (have you noticed that people drive like crap on holiday weekends). They are checking all of the wiring and everything again, but most likely they will have to replace the ABS module. I"m hoping resetting everything works for the short term again and I can make it until the end of the month (the part is on back order).

It wouldn't matter so much except that the speedometer stops working and the power steering goes in addition to the ABS when this happens.

I'm still really happy with the treatment we are getting from the dealership service department though. Really good about communication and stuff. I'm hoping the bumper step plate I ordered shows up while they still have it today. I suspect they'll install if for me for no charge.

Wow you have so much more patience than most people on here do. bravo

I really hope they get everything fixed for ya soon.

KanseiZM said:
Wow you have so much more patience than most people on here do. bravo

I really hope they get everything fixed for ya soon.

Well, I will admit that I did take a quick peak at the lemon laws so I would know where I stand just in case.

But honestly, this service department is very easy to work with and obviously proactive which helps. I told the service manager that he should have considered med school - he has the best bedside manner I've ever encountered, knows how to break the news gently but clearly. Of course I'm lucky that we decided to buy from the dealership that's less than a mile from my office rather than the one all the way across town that we were considering.

Yes, you do have a lot of patience. My wife would of been freaked out by now. Good luck and hopefully the part that is on backorder actually fixes the problem.

ladygrey said:
Well, I will admit that I did take a quick peak at the lemon laws so I would know where I stand just in case.

Don't feel bad about that. Lemons happen (not saying your car is, hope for the best) and no one should have to live with that. You bought a new car and you should be able to drive it all the time. Hopefully this doesn't make you look at other car brands next time. Trust me, Mazdas are really reliable in my experience. I've never been stranded before.

Yea! Got my car back tonight :D.

They replaced the ABS module. I didn't get the full story yet on how they got it since Friday they told me they had no idea when they could. The service manager is at a conference in California, he called me today anyway to tell me the part was in and said he'd explain everything later.

I am so glad to have my baby back. I was happy that they finally put me in another 5 as a rental, but I'm glad to have my 5 speed and climate control back.

(mj)(yes) (band) (hump) (dance) (flash)

PARTY TIME!!!

Glad to hear things are finally coming together! Sounds like it was a bad experience, but great dealership.

Back