Reviews keep bashing the 5's acceleration... what do you guys think?

jandree22

:
2007 Mazda5
So what do you owners have to say about all these reviewers bashing the 5's acceleration... are they overexagerating or it the 5 really a dog in your opinion? I test drove both a 5spd and 4AT on two seperate occasions, and thought it was zippy myself, but maybe I'm missing something? Seems like all the reviews say that on the highway it's a wimp, but then I read around here and you all say that on the highway it's a blast. Granted, I know what I'm working with, a 3400lb vehicle with a 2.3L... I know it's not gonna be a torque monster.

Particularly to all the 4AT owners, what do you think? Normally I'd go with the 5MT, but for some reason I'm leaning towards the 4AT if I'd get the Mazda5. Part of the reason is a family is coming into the picture and A) I def think I drive more aggressively with a 5MT and B) much less to worry about when I got Jr. behind me crying about his spilled Cheerios. Does the auto tranny get the job done nicely (smooth and responsive) or is it a piece of garbage? I also appreciate the auto-stick feature for climbing hills and what not. I also can't figure out how willing my wife is to learn stick, although I personally feel it's something she should know either way... but I digress.

Anyways, what do you guys think... happy with the engine's Zoom-Zoom or do you find it usually begging for boost?

The car is a dog in a straight line. Manual and automatic.... This is not a car you buy for acceleration... I bought it because of how FUN the car is to drive.... Stock, the car handles Terrific, and you can catch much more expensive machinery off guard in the corners....

Dan

The reviewers are comparing to minivans, they have bigger motors, use more gas, therefore have more power. The problem is there is no comparison base. The 5 is great for what it is. I suggest driving both the AT & MT around town and hit the highway, thats what test drives are for. You can't base your opinion on a review, you won't know untill you try. It may not be a torque monster but still has plenty of zoom-zoom for a practical car/mini-minivan but you should concider taking the Cheerios away from Jr. in the twisties....

Well, right now I do drive a 2000 Sunfire SE 3AT... nothing is much worse than that! The Mazda5 actually has a better power-to-weight ratio(somehow) and an extra gear in the automatic.

Did I mention I <3 my Sunfire?!(ughdance)

I have not driven in a 5 yet, but I had my sisters 01' ES2.0 automatic last night and it was not that bad. Has 80K and still has pleanty of zip and everything feels tight still.......pleanty of life left on her!

It is not a fast car, but is quick enough for average day driving.......

-R

Mazda5 Zoom Zoom (??)

I think that in North America we get too caught up in horsepower numbers and 0-60 elapsed times. This craze is supported by all of those automobile shows and magazines that support the notion that faster is bound to be better.

Consider this, in other parts of the world the Mazda 5 is sold with a 1.8L engine, and people still grab them up.

I agree that fully loaded the '5' is weak, however I'm prepared to live with this given the other benefits associated with the vehicle i.e., great price, fantastic looks, interior flexibility, decent fuel consumption and superb ergonomics etc.

Bottom line is the '5' is not meant for everyone. If someone is after performance from a mini-van then they should go for something with a huge gas-guzzling V-6. If you're the compromising type, go for the '5'.

Regards,
Anthony

Lt. Dan said:
The car is a dog in a straight line. Manual and automatic.... This is not a car you buy for acceleration... I bought it because of how FUN the car is to drive.... Stock, the car handles Terrific, and you can catch much more expensive machinery off guard in the corners....

Dan

wait wait wait wait, Dan, you bought a Mazda5??????? (shocked)

I have found the power to be just fine. I regularly load it up with the wife and two kids for long trips and I don't find it to be slow.

I'll put it into perspective this way - you have to judge it for what it is. My other car is a Porsche 911. Of course the Mazda is not as fast nor handles as well. But it is great at what it does, which is hold the family and get good gas mileage. You are not going to set any speed records, but you are not buying it for that anyway.

It's just that all these car reviewers are making it sound like a snail, and I wondered what owners thought as you're driving it on an extended day-to-day basis. I'm honestly not too worried about it... Doesn't have to be 'fast,' just so it has enough pep/zip/responsiveness to it that it's not boring. Like I said, this car isn't for racing or driving like a lunatic, it's for the family. :)

And I have test driven both the MT and the AT... problem is it's hard for me to remember all the details of how it drove when it was weeks or months ago. That's what I get for plotting out a car purchase so far in advance

Zip

I traded "down" from a Mercury Villager. Our 5 has the automatic transmission, yet it still seems to have much more zip on the highway than the Villager. I certainly don't consider it to be underpowered.

Dog is absolutely insane when labeling the 5. I mean sure, it's not Mustang, but duh, I didn't buy a Mustang and I want the 27 mpg. It's fast enough for my blood, I'm first off the line all day unless there's a Mustang or Camaro or something crazy then most of the time I'm leaving everyone behind.

The 5 won't win many street races, but it's got plenty of acceleration.

You're kidding, right? There isn't much modern machinery slower in a straight line... lol.... My car ran an 18 second quarter mile... And it wasn't driver error... kinda hard to screw up 100hp in an automatic...

I'm just about to roll over the first 3k miles on my 5 and I find the acceleration to be just fine. Great even compared to my 1995 saturn that it replaced. Passing is no problem, enjoying a little zoom zoom is no problem. As others have said these reviewers must normally drive 911's or something similar. The 5 has no problem with acceleration or power at all.

Handling is equally excellent. It's got very little top tip out of turns as taller cars do and it handles wonderfully. Dont let the silly reviews of a lack of power be a reason not to buy the 5, because that just isn't real.

ZoomZoomH said:
wait wait wait wait, Dan, you bought a Mazda5??????? (shocked)

You know what? I'm an idiot... I thought we were talking Protege5 numbers... LOL!!!!

I think the acceleration on the Mazda5 auto is fine. It's fast enough to keep up with traffic when accelerating from a stop, but it can be a little sluggish when trying to pass someone at 75mph.

For a FWD, it sure can handle the curves... how come the reviewers always b**** about the 5 not having enough space and it's too slow, but never talk about how it kicks the minvan's ass in curves?

I think the power on my 5 auto is just fine. It accelerates better than my old 01 MPV. I don't think you'd want the turbo version of the 2.3L in the 5. I think it would be too much for it, in terms of drivability, and gas would cost too much since I am assuming that it would require premium gas because of the turbo.

I drive the 5spd manual and think its just great. We live in a hilly area and I have not had any problems with acceleration and keeping that speed up hills/in corners. Compared to the Freestar I had during the recall - this baby is a 911. That Freestar was like driving a pig with a camel's brain. Personally I liked the MT over the AT - I guess its the control and different gear ratios.

Back