Tires on CX-7

Vision67

Bridgestone Turanza tires to be OE on Mazda CX-7 crossover SUV

May 10, 2006
Bridgestone Firestone North American Tire LLC (BFNT) reports its Bridgestone brand Turanza tires will be one of the original equipment tires on Mazdas first crossover sport-utility vehicle (SUV), the CX-7.
BFNT will supply the 2007 Mazda CX-7 with T-speed-rated, all-season Bridgestone Turanza EL 42 luxury touring tires in size P235/60R18.

"The Turanza is a luxury touring tire that complements the performance of Mazdas new purpose-built crossover SUV," says Michael Martini, president, OE consumer tire division, BFNT. "This fitment is the result of the ongoing relationship between the Bridgestone group and Mazda."

Hopefully as they wear they don't get deafening like the Potenza's on the RX-8. At 30k I was more than happy to get ride of my Potenzas and replace them with some nice queit tires.

lilarry said:
Every picture I've seen, and the CX-7 at the NY Auto Show, had Goodyear Eagles.
I agree, Photos on Mazda web site, as well as pre production units and Cars at L.A Auto Show had Goodyears. Will have to check out Production units at Mazda Headquarters this weekend.

Vision67 said:
Bridgestone Turanza tires to be OE on Mazda CX-7 crossover SUV

Here is a pic of the Bridgestone's on a CX-7 today at Mazda Headquarters in Irvine CA.

Attachments

• Bridgestone CX-7.jpg
    Bridgestone CX-7.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 755
Those Turanza EL42 are the most crappy tires I've ever had (came with my Acura TL 04) and I'm not alone thinking this! Back in 2004, that was a big subject on the TL forums and that was the (almost) only negative stuff on the TL.

TireRack ranked them 23 out of 25 in that category.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+EL42

I personnaly found the EL42 to be bad on wet, bad on dry and dangerous on snow...At least if they lasted 50k miles but at 20k they were gone!

I'll really consider asking for a tire credit and buy my own choice.

Do you guys have an idea how much the credit could be?

cx7rocks said:
Those Turanza EL42 are the most crappy tires I've ever had (came with my Acura TL 04) and I'm not alone thinking this! Back in 2004, that was a big subject on the TL forums and that was the (almost) only negative stuff on the TL

I'll really consider asking for a tire credit and buy my own choice.

Do you guys have an idea how much the credit could be?

Yeah thats very unhanded of Mazda. All the reviewers had CX7 with Eagle RS-A M+S. One of the reviews specifically mentions they were good tires, so the performance will be less with these sh*te tires.

This is a dirty deal for possible CX-7 owners:bs:

Last edited:
Stop Mazda!!!

Write Mazda, Motortrend, Edmunds, Autoweek, etc, so they can exposed/stop this dirty trick!!!

CX-7 reviews are not representative of production car performance with this underhanded tire swap. They should print this so Mazda will be embrassed and lose sales for this dirty cost cutting trick :bs: :bs: :bs:

I have no experience on the Turanza EL42, but Goodyear Eagle RS-A's aren't exactly the greatest tire either - just head over to the Mazda3 side of this forum as the 17-inch Mazda3 comes with this tire OEM.

Anyways, as of this week (and as of last Friday in the Toronto area), Canadian dealers should have at least one CX-7 now. These CX-7's came with the Goodyear Eagle RS-A's.

I'll find out if the Turanza EL42 is US-only, or if all the early builds use the Goodyears (and by early build, I'm talking Apr build dates).

Well even if they are average tires, going from average tires to bad tires is still a rip-off cost cutting move on Mazda's part.

Also one of the CX7 reviews (I forget which one) specifically mentions the Eagles performed well on the CX-7.

The heck with Goodyear and Bridgestone. I want those huge, fat tires shown on the CX-7 in the "CX-7 Tour" on Mazda's website. (Talk about misleading).

syadasti said:
Well even if they are average tires, going from average tires to bad tires is still a rip-off cost cutting move on Mazda's part.

Mazda CX-7 arriving at LA dealers today 5/21 of these 5 four had Goodyears
(peep)

Attachments

• CX-7 at dealers.jpg
    CX-7 at dealers.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 2,518
eww yuck the Turanza EL-42 is ridiculously disgusting. It was the stock tire on my mom's 03 Altima 2.5SL and 05 Altima 3.5 .. worst tire evAR. Sadly the car only has 14k miles on it so she won't let me order new tires for it haha.

It's the very early builds that have the Goodyears, later ones comes with the Bridgestones. This applies to both Canada and US.

Swapping Tires

With all the back and forth on tires, I'm thinking I'd want the very best tires available for my CX-7. My Jeep Grand Cherokee came with Goodyear Wranglers on it, a firm truck/SUV tire. I wanted something that would give a gentler but sportier ride and decided to switch the tires to Goodyear Forteras. Our local Goodyear dealer was happy to swap the Wranglers for Forteras (as long as there were less than 500 miles on them). I am now on my second set of Fortera's and absolutely love them - on the Jeep.

If I can get a CX-7 with Eagles on it, I'm sure the local Goodyear dealer would swap them for the tire of my choice (only charging me the difference). I'm wondering how a CX-7 would perform with these Goodyear Fortera light truck/SUV tires, or any other higher grade Goodyear tire.

Better yet, do Bridgestone/Firestone dealers do new car tire swaps? If so, I might consider swapping the Turanza EL42's for Turanza LS's. Unlike the EL42's, the LS's are supposed to be excellent tires - extremely quiet with exceptional handling and traction characteristics. In addition to being a far superior tire, they might also help ease the highway road noise problem.

Any thoughts on swapping out stock CX-7 tires (Eagles, EL42's or whatever)? If you had your choice, what do you think would be the very best tire for the CX-7, and why?

I test drove a CX-7 with the Goodyears today. Assumed that they were standard on the GT, since the Sport and Touring on the lot had Bridgestones. From this thread it seems to be random.

I've driven many cars with RS-As in the past, even owned one. Felt they were okay. Well, on the CX-7 they royally suck if you intend to drive any twisty roads. They start yowling very early. Keep pushing and they still stick, but I prefer to go about my business much more quietly.

Note that OEM tires can be much different than those you buy at a tire store. Tire manufacturers will customize a tire to suit the vehicle manufacturer's specs.

I will be replacing the stock tires with the new Nokian all-weather tires.

Back