Seating height

raylau63

Hi. This question goes out to those that has personally sat in the CX-7. How high are the seats? This may sound like a peculiar question but it may be an important one for families like me who have older generation still around. I own a Mitsubishi Airtrek and one of its selling point is that the seats are nicely position so that the elderly can sit very easily into the seats. No falling down or climbing up into seats. Any comments/

if the cx-7 follow most of mazda s models,the driver seat is going to be adjustable in any way you want it,back and forth,down and up....and probably the tilt and telescopic steering wheel.....

patmaz said:
if the cx-7 follow most of mazda s models,the driver seat is going to be adjustable in any way you want it,back and forth,down and up....and probably the tilt and telescopic steering wheel.....

From what I've read, I've seen no mention of a telescopic wheel. I don't think this is being offered. As for the seating height, the CX-7 should sit like an SUV with a little bend in the knee when you sit. It should not sit like the RX-8 where your legs are straight out before you. I should qualify that I have not sat in a CX-7 yet.

stangmatt66 said:
From what I've read, I've seen no mention of a telescopic wheel. I don't think this is being offered. As for the seating height, the CX-7 should sit like an SUV with a little bend in the knee when you sit. It should not sit like the RX-8 where your legs are straight out before you. I should qualify that I have not sat in a CX-7 yet.
I think he/she means how is it to go from a standing position outside the car to a sitting position inside the car (and vice versa)?

can you easily get into the seat without climbing up or get out of the car without a lot of effort to stand up

:)
raylau63 said:
Hi. This question goes out to those that has personally sat in the CX-7. How high are the seats? This may sound like a peculiar question but it may be an important one for families like me who have older generation still around. I own a Mitsubishi Airtrek and one of its selling point is that the seats are nicely position so that the elderly can sit very easily into the seats. No falling down or climbing up into seats. Any comments/

The spec you are looking for is called the "H" point. It is the distance from ground to the location of the hip in the seat, ergo H.

That spec is not listed, but an approximation can be reached by subtracting the headroom from the height of the vehicle.

For the CX-7, Height = 64.7, Headroom = 39.7, so H = 25.10

For Mazda 3, Height = 57.7, Headroom = 39.1, so H = 18.6

Difference is therefore 6.5 inches. That ought to make for easy ingress for us old folks!:)

raylau63 said:

I spent a lot of time at the NY Auto Show comparing the CX7 to a lot of vehicles - especially the Nissan Murano. I currently own a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have a relatively short (5'6") stocky build. I found the CX-7 driver's seat to be exceptionally comfortable and supportive - more so than any other vehicle I've sat in, including the Jeep. The power seat enables a wide range of adjustments. However, there is no memory seat, and no power passenger seat. The heated seats have only one setting - on or off. Most other heated seats have a high/low selection.

More to the point of your question, I have noticed that my elderly relatives have some difficulty climbing into my Jeep. The front seating in the CX-7 seems lower than the Jeep. The rear seating is much lower than the Jeep. Overall, the CX-7 seems much easier to enter.

The review by "The Family Car Web Magazine" backs up my observation: "The CX-7 is not meant for off-road use, especially since it has the ground clearance of a passenger car. Low ground clearance has the advantage of easier step in height, especially for older people who might have a problem getting into a truck-based SUV".

I also noticed that the front seating in the CX-7 is very comfortable and first class, while the rear seating in the CX-7, while lower in height and roomy, is somewhat skimpy - not exactly plush.

Also keep in mind, your elderly relatives may not appreciate the firm (harsh?) "sports car" ride the reviewers have been mentioning about the CX-7.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Seating

"I think he/she means how is it to go from a standing position outside the car to a sitting position inside the car (and vice versa)?

can you easily get into the seat without climbing up or get out of the car without a lot of effort to stand up"

Exactly right Nate0123. Thks for inputs ppl.

Back